Hey guys

This question may very well be stupid, but hey we all have to star our knowledge somehere...
So amps come with a headphone jack, well most ive seen do.... now i am just wondering that if i am to buy some decent headphones and plug them in.... how effectively will the sound actually come through the headphones... will i still hear distortion etc really well? will i still get sustain etc through the headphones...

thanks guys
Depends on the circuit design really. I've heard some decent heaphone jack sounds and some really hissy bad ones. It should at least be similar to what you hear coming out of the speaker, but if you rely on feedback for sustain like I do, you might notice that notes are a little less long-lived, but other than that it should be good enough to practice with.

Most of the amps I've heard with headphone jacks don't really have tone worth writing home about anyway. On my two latest amps I've had to use effects sends to use as headphone outs.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Mar 28, 2013,
You haven't seen many tube amps have you?

A decent set of headphones will sound fairly decent in what I assume is a practice amp of some type. What amp do you have btw?
Audio Technica are a good choice. Decent quality for a fairly low price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by deputydoodoo

So amps come with a headphone jack, well most ive seen do

most 'gigging' guitar amps don't come with headphone outs. usually headphones outs are featured on practice amps and/or modeling amps.

Quote by deputydoodoo
now i am just wondering that if i am to buy some decent headphones and plug them in.... how effectively will the sound actually come through the headphones... will i still hear distortion etc really well? will i still get sustain etc through the headphones...

thanks guys

this is completely dependent upon the amp's design. some amps just throw the signal out to some headphones and it doesn't sound too good. some amps include speaker and cab emulation to make the signal sound better.

my advice: if you want an amp with headphone outs then try before you buy and make sure the signal sounds acceptable to you.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae