So,

i just found out (5 minutes ago) that you're not supposed to connect a head to a cab with a guitar cable.
i bought a Peavey Valveking some time ago and i've always connected the head to the cab with a pedal connector.
is it really that bad, i haven't had any problems but i'm starting to get a little worried i'll break it.

so after this i decided to look for a speaker cable
but why are they all so long?
the distance between the in- and output is only 1 ft but the shortest cable i found was 5ft
i dont want a massive amount of cable lying around that why i used a connector because it's just the right lenght

if anyone knows the real answer to this please let me know.

Greetz,
DWL
Well the instrument cable is the wrong size wire, way too small to handle speaker current.

Lots of people make that mistake. I had one on one of my amps for 4 years. I just never played loud the so current wasn't enough to fry it.

If you have a tube amp and the cable goes open or short then it can damage your output transformer.

SS amps- it can hurt it has well, however they really aren't as sensitive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
regarding the length you can normally get 1 metre/~3ft speaker cables without too much bother...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-standard-s-100-1-4--1-4-speaker-cable

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-16-gauge-speaker-cable

both have 3 footers

A little extra length is nice if you're putting your head somewhere not on your cab, putting your cab on it's side so it's not on it's casters so the input could be further away, or just because not every person's stack only has a foot in between the output and inputs.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
On bedroom volumes it will work but its not recommended. When you crank it, let alone gig volumes, worst case scenario is that the cable melts becaise its hairthin and unable to handle the current going through. If you are using tube amp it will go boom. SS amp will also if the cable shorts and not just cut.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
just get a shitty green or brown extention chord, cut it to length u need, soldier your jacks to it, voila! instant 14gauge speaker cable! just make sure its not wired backwards or your speakers will call your congressman. lol
My speaker cables end up hot to the touch after I've been playing for a while. I'd blow the crap out of an instrument cable. I pretty much dime a 60W tube amp though, that's a fair bit of juice.
I make mine out of mains extension cables too. Cheap source of good quality copper that will handle the current without issue. I use them for everything, including PA leads. They are robust enough to walk on and have lasted for many, many years.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification