I have just purchased the Peavey Vypyr 30 for home practice etc and i think it is an excellent choice

In the past in my band days i played PRS and Marshall Tube Heads and 4x12 x 2 cabs

As you can imagine we had a very full sound back then and we were proud of the sound, not fizzy but heavy with alot of tone

The great thing about the Vypyr was it sounds good straight out of the box with many of the presets and for home use its one of the best small amps at low cost i have heard.

Granted i wouldnt want to gig with it as it would be way too small in a large venue situation unless it was sent to the PA

Back in the 90's when in the UK Marshall was god when it came to rock amps we all laughed at Peavey as a poor mans poor sounding range.

Well they have come a long way and in a world of modelling amps seem to have got things spot on.

OK for a SS amp it will always sound a tad fizzy compared to valves but it does sound very clear and articulate even with heavy overdrive / distortion

Thank you Peavey !!
True you could but it would still look a bit puny as a backline

For rock 4 X 12 cabs are a must live when it comes to full spread of sound and some umph
No they're not.

I gig with a Vox AC4 half the time. And they're by no means small venues, upwards of 700 people.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Depends if you are old school or not, big cabs = big fuller sound and not always louder just nicer sounding
Personally, I've always hated the extra bass response that comes with a 4x12, much prefer a nice 2x12.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Wolfie60
True you could but it would still look a bit puny as a backline

For rock 4 X 12 cabs are a must live when it comes to full spread of sound and some umph

No.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo