The treble pickup on my SG will sometimes cut out when I switch to it. It won't be completely gone but it acts as if the volume nob was at a 1 when it is really at 10. If I switch back and forth between pickups a few times it usually comes back but this is an issue id like to fix before my next gig. Any suggestions?
Open it up and checking the wiring to the switch, pickup, and knobs. Desolder and resolder as necessary. If the switch is still working I would think it has more to do with the actual pickup, but I could be wrong.
Replace the switch while you have the guitar open. I am not an EE, but thinking about it this with what I do know....it would make more sense to me that the pickup is damaged. If the switch was damaged, I would think that it would not work at all (no sound), or would intermittently not work in which you would hear nothing through the T pickup, not simply a reduction in volume. Unless there is some sort of issue where you have more resistance in the switch in its damaged state in which you now only hear a small amount of volume.

Replace the switch. Easy and cheap to do. Get a Gibson replacement on Amazon ebay or a parts store. Unstring the guitar but sandwhich a piece of tape around the strings so they don't tangle up (unless they need to be replaced).
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Mar 28, 2013,
Sounds like it could be dirty contacts on the switch, or a loose grounding wire. In all honestly, pickups rarely fail, and it tends to be all or nothing if they do.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Sounds like it could be dirty contacts on the switch, or a loose grounding wire. In all honestly, pickups rarely fail, and it tends to be all or nothing if they do.

+1
Get some contact cleaner or a new switch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate