Page 1 of 2
I just bought a new computer and it came with windows 8. Aside from the start screen and the live tiles, is there anything special I should know when starting out? My last computer had vista and I use old windows xp at work so it's all pretty new to me.
sux. rl bad.

all i ever hear is the bad stuff about it and something to do with screwing up drivers. i used it on a touch screen pc thingy and it was usable, but i wouldn't pay for it.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Mar 28, 2013,
I have it and it's good enough. Really the only annoying thing is accidentally clicking onto the last app you went on in the top corner.
Sucks a hard one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yeah, get a program to put the start menu back, I did on my lappy that came with it and I actually prefer it to windows 7 now. It boots in about 5 seconds for me and runs without any problems, and that's on a dual core AMD so I'd imagine it runs pretty nice on better processors.

All the naysayers seem to forget that people hated windows 7 at first, but it's really just a fear of change.
I have it on two computers. It was hard to get used to but now I really like it. As said above, boot up is really fast. Put it on a 5 year old laptop and it runs faster than when it was new. If you go to the "desktop" it looks more like the old Windows.
One nice little thing is that it has spell check on anything you type (like forums).
most solid Windows OS
worst design implementation ever

5/10 would not use whenever possible

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by moody git
sux. rl bad.

all i ever hear is the bad stuff about it and something to do with screwing up drivers. i used it on a touch screen pc thingy and it was usable, but i wouldn't pay for it.

The drivers part is if you upgrade your OS to Windows 8, a computer with Windows 8 preinstalled should have all the drivers working correctly.

The only major difference is the start menu, everything else is just a faster version of 7.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
faster version of 7 with the start menu replaced by metro

people that need to mod the start menu back in must be ****ing ******ed, because metro functions the ****ing same
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
It looks cool but it has an immense design flaw without the start menu and program exchange.

It was made for touch screen users not for pc or laptops imo.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
If it ain't a Mac, take it back.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by chookiecookie
Interesting insult coming from you.

And why would that be?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Least user friendly interface ever....It'd probably be great on a tablet, but for computer, it sucks major arse
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I don't see what the problem with the user interface is. Probably just stupid people being stupid.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
I don't see what the problem with the user interface is. Probably just stupid people being stupid.

Pretty much. But taking 5 minutes to figure out something new? Fuck no who's got time for that.
I can tell you that I installed 8 in a friend's computer (previously had 7) and he had some trouble finding the right drivers for his amd graphics card (said computer is a sony vaio and has around 2-3 years). To this day, he hasn't been able to find the drivers and neither sony or amd helped him with his problem. When he had Win 7, everything was working properly.

Honestly, I will be sticking with 7 myself. In a couple of weeks I plan on formatting my computer and I have no intention whatsoever in installing 8, even though I have a free licence given by my uni. From what I've seen and heard of 8, it doesn't interest me at all - and I really dislike the new visual. But if you don't have a problem with "metro", you should be fine, I guess.
Quote by anvil is god
It's bloated shit. The resources it takes while idle are ridiculous.

...what?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by anvil is god
CPU, RAM usage.

lol

Windows isn't "hogging" memory. It's allocating memory for "hot" applications and processes, resulting in faster response/restoration time for frequently used things. When more raw memory is needed by a single application, Windows releases the inactive portions for that application to use. Mac OSX has been doing this since the beginning. What's the point of all that RAM if it's not being used?

And as for CPU, I doubt your CPU is being taxed when Windows is idling. If it really is, that means something else is going on.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by little_boy
I can tell you that I installed 8 in a friend's computer (previously had 7) and he had some trouble finding the right drivers for his amd graphics card (said computer is a sony vaio and has around 2-3 years). To this day, he hasn't been able to find the drivers and neither sony or amd helped him with his problem. When he had Win 7, everything was working properly.

Honestly, I will be sticking with 7 myself. In a couple of weeks I plan on formatting my computer and I have no intention whatsoever in installing 8, even though I have a free licence given by my uni. From what I've seen and heard of 8, it doesn't interest me at all - and I really dislike the new visual. But if you don't have a problem with "metro", you should be fine, I guess.

1) AMD is shit with drivers, and I say that as an AMD user

2) Has he tried the AMD website? You know, the place that has all the drivers?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I have windows 8. Love it. Boots fast runs fast. Anyone who thinks it's unwieldy must be an idiot.
Quote by TunerAddict
1) AMD is shit with drivers, and I say that as an AMD user

2) Has he tried the AMD website? You know, the place that has all the drivers?

Yeah, obviously, that was the first place we searched. As a matter of fact, a week after we installed Win8, new drivers for his graphics card (Radeon 5000 series, if I'm not mistaken) were uploaded specifically for windows 8 in the AMD driver support website, they even put a link in their home page. It is still there in the home page. We tried to run that utility that supposedly automatically detects and downloads the correct driver as well as searching manually for the driver. I tried to install what we found was the correct driver, to no avail. It just doesn't work. We tried to contact the customer support and all they said was that "there is a possibility that some graphics cards may not work properly using Windows 8" and that they are "working hard" to solve the problem. My friend is now using only the graphics card that Intel Core processors have.

Sure, it is AMD who is to blame, but if you happen to have such a graphics card that is not compatible with Win8, you're screwed, and AMD isn't going to buy you a new computer just so you can use Windows 8, because they are incompetent at making drivers. That is one of the reasons why I don't want to change to Windows 8 - my computer's graphic card is AMD.
Last edited by little_boy at Mar 28, 2013,
Windows in general is a bloated mess (8, 7, 98, all of them) but 8 is an absolute train wreck for the following reasons.

1. SecureBoot. The whole point of owning a PC is being able to do whatever you want with it. Microsoft locking out other operating systems from being installed is just deceitful and a total dick move. Not that it matters though, the Open Source community has already cracked that wide open, showing Microsoft's total lack of competency yet again.

2. The interface. I know that "everyone" has said that it's shit, and that everyone else also said that every new interface on every new version of Windows is shit, BUT, I legitimately liked XP's interface after switching from 98, and I liked 7's interface after switching from XP (Skipped Vista). So that said, I can honestly say that the metro interface is stupidly confusing. WTF is up with the "hot corner" and the hidden charms bar? A simple button would have done wonders for using these things. Aside from that, switching between the desktop interface and the metro thing is jarring and doesn't flow well. I should also note that I'm a pretty hardcore Linux user. I'm used to having to learn new user interfaces frequently, but it's absolutely pathetic that a bunch of unpaid hobbyist programmers are capable of making better user interfaces than Microsoft is with all the money they have.

3. The app store. I know that right now you can still install whatever software you want on Windows 8, but I can really see Microsoft locking down Windows 9 or 10 completely and only allowing the end users to install software they deem fit, and that honestly scares me.

I have a few more minor gripes with it, namely the lack of workspaces and that the taskbars on multi-monitor systems are not independent (Again, if I can do both of those things on Linux, there's no excuse for not being able to do them on Windows). I would have stopped using Windows a long time ago if I wasn't a gamer, so I still have to keep Windows on my hard drive eating up my storage space, unfortunately.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
1. SecureBoot. The whole point of owning a PC is being able to do whatever you want with it. Microsoft locking out other operating systems from being installed is just deceitful and a total dick move. Not that it matters though, the Open Source community has already cracked that wide open, showing Microsoft's total lack of competency yet again.

Does this mean that I can't get dual-boot on a computer with Windows 8? Like Win 8 and Ubuntu, for example?
I, for one, like Windows 8. I don't use most of the new Metro stuff (I stick to the traditional Windows UI) but I've enjoyed the new features that aren't Metro quite a lot, like an improved task manager, incredible boot times, etc.
Quote by little_boy
Does this mean that I can't get dual-boot on a computer with Windows 8? Like Win 8 and Ubuntu, for example?

You can, but only because the Ubuntu guys have already made a work around. You can't install 7 or any other version of Windows over 8 though.

Note that this only applies if the computer you bought came with Windows 8 pre-installed. If you installed it yourself, you should be fine.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
You can, but only because the Ubuntu guys have already made a work around. You can't install 7 or any other version of Windows over 8 though.

Note that this only applies if the computer you bought came with Windows 8 pre-installed. If you installed it yourself, you should be fine.

Nevertheless, it is an obvious attempt to draw a narrower limit to what you can do with your computer, and that is never good. Honestly, I hope that Microsoft creates a closed store, like you mentioned - this way, many people will stop using Windows and will migrate to other operating systems that give users a lot more freedom, like Linux-based family. This way, these systems will get a lot more support from software and hardware developers and will finally present themselves as a viable alternative to Windows, even to gamers.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Aren't you the #! guy though? That hardly seems fair. Everything is bloated compared to #!.

Yeah, I use #!.
Quote by muffinduck01

and that the taskbars on multi-monitor systems are not independent

Fairly certain you can do that, I believe I found that option when I was dinking around with taskbar settings
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I really like it.

Quote by TunerAddict
faster version of 7 with the start menu replaced by metro

people that need to mod the start menu back in must be ****ing ******ed, because metro functions the ****ing same

I installed Classic Shell because I like the simplicity of a start menu being contained in the corner while the desktop is still displayed.

I dont mind Metro but it's obviously catered towards touch panels and a start menu is more convenient. Also, Classic Shell is just awesome anyway and comes with a ton of features.
1. Get Windows 7.
2. Install 7, deleting 8 in the process.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Oh, wait...I forgot. Most Windows 8 PCs have this dick-ish thing which prevents you from using other OS's. Silly me, how could I forget?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 29, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
1. Get Windows 7.
2. Install 7, deleting 8 in the process.
3. ???
4. Profit.

no
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
no

See my edit.

Also, Windows 8 is like 3% faster than 7. So, 99.9% of people won't even see a difference. They think it's vastly faster, of course. But that's largely because when people buy a new PC, it doesn't have all the junk (such as unused file extensions or an almost full temp internet folder) that their old PC did.
I installed 8 over an existing 7 installation and noticed a noticeable improvement.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
I installed 8 over an existing 7 installation and noticed a noticeable improvement.

Did you use programs like CCleaner on your Windows 7 install regularly? Because (assuming you did not), my guess is, when your PC installed 8, it deleted all those unused file extensions and such. A program like CCleaner (which is free, btw) scans your PC, finds unused file extensions and other useless space users, and allows you to delete them.

Also, use a program like Revo Unistaller (also free) to completely uninstall programs, including finding left-over files and allowing you to delete them.

No matter what Windows OS you use, it's always a good idea to use programs that clean up your system periodically and programs that do 100% clean uninstalls. Revo Unistaller is the latter, and CCleaner is the former. As I said, both are free.

The only thing I would warn anyone using CCleaner about is, you'd better write all your internet passwords down somewhere. Deleting cookies will sometimes mean your browser doesn't remember your password until you re-enter it and tell it to save your password again.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 29, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Did you use programs like CCleaner on your Windows 7 install regularly? Because (assuming you did not), my guess is, when your PC installed 8, it deleted all those unused file extensions and such. A program like CCleaner (which is free, btw) scans your PC, finds unused file extensions and other useless space users, and allows you to delete them.

Also, use a program like Revo Unistaller (also free) to completely uninstall programs, including finding left-over files and allowing you to delete them.

No matter what Windows OS you use, it's always a good idea to use programs that clean up your system periodically and programs that do 100% clean uninstalls. Revo Unistaller is the latter, and CCleaner is the former. As I said, both are free.

The only thing I would warn anyone using CCleaner about is, you'd better write all your internet passwords down somewhere. Deleting cookies will sometimes mean your browser doesn't remember your password until you re-enter it and tell it to save your password again.

I used ccleaner regularly (and defraggler every 6 months or so) on my windows 7 laptop that had a processor nearly twice as powerful as my new laptop (preloaded with windows 8) and windows 8 is still noticeably faster. Equal amounts of ram (4 gigs) btw.
Last edited by tukk04 at Mar 29, 2013,
Page 1 of 2