Do you think that music which only uses notes in a diatonic scale, while not containing a pitch that feels like a tonal center, exists?

I was looking at a school assignment, where there were some exercises involving pandiatonic melodies, but none of them felt to me like they lacked a tonal center. One of my professors said he doesn't think that can exist, and he's never heard a good example of it.

Anyways, what do you guys think?
Well the idea of pandiatonicism is less about using the diatonic scale without a tonic and more about using the diatonic scale without the notion of functional harmony. That happens all the time.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well the idea of pandiatonicism is less about using the diatonic scale without a tonic and more about using the diatonic scale without the notion of functional harmony. That happens all the time.
Yeah, but for here, I'm talking about actually lacking a tonal center.
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, but for here, I'm talking about actually lacking a tonal center.

That's not the point of it though.
If you'd want to avoid tonal centres you would go for a different technique.

Pandiatonicism is more about the 'suggestion' of a tonal centre, without really 'defining' it with a functional cadence.
Quote by griffRG7321
Play all the whites notes on a piano at once, you're welcome.

Cmaj9,13,add4

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by 505088K
That's not the point of it though.
If you'd want to avoid tonal centres you would go for a different technique.

Pandiatonicism is more about the 'suggestion' of a tonal centre, without really 'defining' it with a functional cadence.
Ok fine, but that still doesn't answer the first sentence of OP.
Quote by griffRG7321
do you even music bro??

from time 2 time

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The Madcap
Do you think that music which only uses notes in a diatonic scale, while not containing a pitch that feels like a tonal center, exists?

I was looking at a school assignment, where there were some exercises involving pandiatonic melodies, but none of them felt to me like they lacked a tonal center. One of my professors said he doesn't think that can exist, and he's never heard a good example of it.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

If you are talking about pure atonality, I think that is moot. I think Schoenberg says there is no such thing because there is always some theoretical relationship between tones.
Quote by sweetdude3000
Schoenberg says there is no such thing because there is always some theoretical relationship between tones.

it's a glass half full / half empty kind of thing at that point

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
so you're talking about making atonal music using a diatonic scale? That sounds like it may not be possible. there is a lot of music that's ambiguous as to the tonal center but still has one.