Don't know if this would belong in recording or songwriting, so please let me know.

Being a solo artist, my musical process involves diving straight into demo recording and building upon each layer from there. However, alot of limitations within DAW and amp emulators prevent me from finding crucial sounds. So, would it be feasible to do the same thing in a real studio(That is, building upon a base layer as I go along), or would it be better to just suck it up and use demo placeholders?
Oh, man... for the love of God, take your time and work your compositions and parts out at home.

I run a project studio. If someone called me up for recording time, I would tell them the same thing. Oh, sure, I'll sit there and hit record and dial in settings all day long at $25/hr as long as you'll let me, but geez.... I honestly have to say I doubt I would enjoy it.

Reason 1 - I'm taking your money and not offering you much of a product in return.

Reason 2 - It would be tedious as f**king hell. It would be like sitting there all day for hours and hours handing someone brushes and rinsing out their water as they sat and painted all day. Kill me now. Meh... at least I'm getting $25/hr for it. *grimace* What time is it?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by roaraudio
TS you'd also have to work with an engineer who enjoys producing.

I would be inclined to say he is better finding an engineer who can hit the record button in his sleep and enjoys sleeping on the job

You could do this, but you're just going to blow a whole bunch of money doing it. The only thing I really think that should be improvised in studio is maybe a solo. Also, what limitations? If you're having limitations with DAWs then so will a studio, they use DAWs too. If it's a limitation within the amp simulator get another one that will get you the sound, there's tonnes of free ones. And if you insist there's no amp sim for the tone you want buy AcmeBarGig's Headcase and learn the builder so you can make an amp sim that produces the tone you want.
Basically, get your compositions fully written unless you want to pay a shit ton of money and piss the employees of the studio off.
Quote by chatterbox272
I would be inclined to say he is better finding an engineer who can hit the record button in his sleep and enjoys sleeping on the job

You could do this, but you're just going to blow a whole bunch of money doing it. The only thing I really think that should be improvised in studio is maybe a solo. Also, what limitations? If you're having limitations with DAWs then so will a studio, they use DAWs too. If it's a limitation within the amp simulator get another one that will get you the sound, there's tonnes of free ones. And if you insist there's no amp sim for the tone you want buy AcmeBarGig's Headcase and learn the builder so you can make an amp sim that produces the tone you want.

Alright, I'll be sure to check it out. Mainly living in an apartment complex, people don't take kindly to tube amps haha so I run my instruments through DI. By limitations, I mean with time-based effects(wah, pitch pedal effects, etc.). I guess in reality I was wanting to know if anyone's attempted studio improv without wasting money on the ordeal.

In retrospect, this was kind of a stupid question, my bad lmao. But I appreciate the help.
Here a studio costs about US$10 - US$12 an hour and for a group of 3 - 5 musicians it's not really a big deal to noodle around for an hour or 2.
Quote by Pyrotechie
Alright, I'll be sure to check it out. Mainly living in an apartment complex, people don't take kindly to tube amps haha so I run my instruments through DI. By limitations, I mean with time-based effects(wah, pitch pedal effects, etc.). I guess in reality I was wanting to know if anyone's attempted studio improv without wasting money on the ordeal.

In retrospect, this was kind of a stupid question, my bad lmao. But I appreciate the help.

You can get expression pedals that function via MIDI to control a Wah/Pitch shift VST, or you could just run guitar -> wah -> amp sim.
If it's simply getting the sounds you're after, then go to a studio - AFTER the music is written and the arrangements nailed down. They call that "preproduction."

Then go to a studio and nail those tones, but at that point, you're not improvising. You're recording and producing.

Ideally, even solos will not be improvised. Write it at home and spend ten minutes recording it instead of spending an hour pecking and noodling and then another hour slicing and dicing the results into something that actually sounds like something.

Quote by salempc
Here a studio costs about US$10 - US$12 an hour and for a group of 3 - 5 musicians it's not really a big deal to noodle around for an hour or 2.

Where are you? Somalia or something?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by salempc

As Axeman said, where the **** are you at? The only studio in my area advertising that kind of rate was some guy advertising with an Mbox 2 & an AT2020 which is a total joke.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Context = minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25/hr.

CT