I'm sick of lugging seven pedals, a power supply for each, all the required patch cables, etc. to and from school, having to set them up and stow them every time I want to use them, and having them take up all that space in my dorm room. Hence, I'm planning on buying a multi-FX unit. I want something I can just run into my Focusrite and record with, and that can make the crappy music department practice amps sound alright.

I had been planning on a Vox Stomplab, but not only is that thing seriously tiny - the expression pedal was about a quarter the size of a normal one! - its interface was a pain in the ass to figure out, even with the manual. The LCD's abbreviations being hard to read didn't help matters either.

So, I'm forced to expand my $100 budget substantially to get something that I'd be happy with. I'm looking at the Line 6 Pod 2.0 currently. How well would it work for the needs I described at the end of the first paragraph?

TLDR:

I'm looking for a multi-FX unit for recording and using with crappy amps to make them not quite as crappy. Mainly recording and practice though. $200 pricerange, desktop and floor are both acceptable. Strongly considering Pod 2.0, how is it? Open to recommendations.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 29, 2013,
Used pod 2.0 isn't a bad way to go as far as amp models but the effects are pretty lackluster, a used m series is annother option. I'd invest in building or buying a pedaltrain and a onespot because you can pretty much plug and play. Lastly avoid the zooms and amplitube like the plague they sound awful.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 29, 2013,
Amplitube's what I'm using right now, so...yeah, the bar isn't set that high in regards to amp sims. The only pedal modeling I really need from it are fuzzboxes and its tubescreamer model. I'm fine bringing a chorus and a wah with, it's just hauling all the other stuff that kills me.

Look at the m series if your looking just for pedal modeling. Personally I'd get the pedal train but I don't know how far you have to carry a board though.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Actually, I'm very interested in both; Ableton Live Lite only lets you use five or some such effects per song, and every track I can save using a guitar amp sim on digitally and use it for a reverb or EQ instead, the better.

Quote by necrosis1193
Actually, I'm very interested in both; Ableton Live Lite only lets you use five or some such effects per song, and every track I can save using a guitar amp sim on digitally and use it for a reverb or EQ instead, the better.

If you can, get the full suite. Lite is stifling.
I got my POD XT live acouple months ago and i am loving it. I got mine for $140 with all the cables and a Road Ready flight case. It's no HD500, but you can get some really usable tone out of it, as long as you know what you are doing when it comes to tone chasing.
You should buy a Boss ME-70 its got everything all of your distortions mods compressions and delays even a volume/wah. Its amazing but a little over the $100 price range at around $300 but it is totally worth it.
If you're happy with your 7 pedals, have you considered just getting a powered pedalboard?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Edit: ^In the pricerange and generally positive feedback, will add it to the mix

Quote by Spaztikko
If you can, get the full suite. Lite is stifling.

I want to, but I can't afford the $330 for the full version of Live 9 until I sell my goddamn MIM strat. It's a nice guitar, but I bought a MIA, so I don't need it anymore, and I haven't been able to sell it for about three months now. Until I get the money, Live Lite is still better than Garageband.

Quote by dudester410

Quote by FALCON1243
You should buy a Boss ME-70 its got everything all of your distortions mods compressions and delays even a volume/wah. Its amazing but a little over the $100 price range at around $300 but it is totally worth it.

If I'm spending $300 on something, I'm either saving another $30 and buying Live 9 full edition, or saving another $50 and buying the Adobe creative suite. Plus the problem with Boss units is, to my understanding, they're pedals only. I'm looking for something that can do amps too, if I can get it.

Quote by tas38
If you're happy with your 7 pedals, have you considered just getting a powered pedalboard?

Wouldn't that just increase the load that I'd have to carry to and from school?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 29, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
Plus the problem with Boss units is, to my understanding, they're pedals only. I'm looking for something that can do amps too, if I can get it.

Take a look at a used XT Live, as someone mentioned earlier.

I'm not really familiar with the unit - a Boss GT-10 or GT-8 might have better amp modeling, but it's probably on par for the most part.

You may also want to look into a used Line 6 POD HD300. Not sure how much they go for. But the quality of the amp modeling in that unit is far superior to anything else I've mentioned. They are very inflexible and have limited options, but if you're just gonna set it on a desk and record out from it, that may be okay for you.

Just check them all out, regardless. Youtube is your friend.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^In the pricerange and generally positive feedback, will add it to the mix

I want to, but I can't afford the $330 for the full version of Live 9 until I sell my goddamn MIM strat. It's a nice guitar, but I bought a MIA, so I don't need it anymore, and I haven't been able to sell it for about three months now. Until I get the money, Live Lite is still better than Garageband.

If I'm spending $300 on something, I'm either saving another $30 and buying Live 9 full edition, or saving another $50 and buying the Adobe creative suite. Plus the problem with Boss units is, to my understanding, they're pedals only. I'm looking for something that can do amps too, if I can get it.

Wouldn't that just increase the load that I'd have to carry to and from school?

I thought the main concern was having so many different individual items. With a powered pedalboard, just unplug from wall, close board and there ya go.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I think a pedalboard is the easiest thing to do. Just plug and play mate, it's pretty simple.

But if you're going to use Ableton, I can highly suggest taking a look at GuitarRig (arrr, thy might scramble upon it on the open seas mate). From my experience, MFX amp simulation never does the trick wel enough and the distortion/OD are also not top notch.

So what you need, is a new amp

simulator...
Quote by necrosis1193
Plus the problem with Boss units is, to my understanding, they're pedals only. I'm looking for something that can do amps too, if I can get it.

not trying to advertise my unit more, but to clarify your understanding off the boss units, theres so much more to it than you may think. It comes with several amp models (ill name them just cause:

JC Clean (variations are JC-120, Jazz combo, full range),
TW Clean (Clean twin, pro crunch, tweed),
Crunch (crunch, blues, stack crunch),
VO Combo (VO drive, vo lead, vo clean),
Match DRV (Match drive, match lead, fat match),
BG Lead (BG lead, BG drive, BG rhythm),
MS Stack (MS1959(I), MS1959(I+II), MH HiGain),
R-Fier (R-fier red, r-fierOrang, R-FierVint)
Hi gain (SLDN, Drive Stack, Lead Stack)
Metal (5150 Drive, Metal Stack, Metal Lead)

These are all the amp models its packed with, which for the most part all sound great depending on what youre looking for. My particular model is an older model, and probably doesnt match up to the tonal possibilities of the gt-10, however definitely sounds great for whatever im looking for, whather it be lifeson, pantera, gilmoure, tallica, you name it, ive gotten great tones out of this thing.

Whats really cool about multifx is the amount of customization youre offered andthe fact that literally every stompbox sound you could ever want is at your disposal if youre willing to mess with the machine for a few mins.

I didnt read much of your post, but im aware youre trying to buy a mxf for a certain price. My opinion is to save more money, go to a local shop and find a used boss gt-10, 8 or 6. They're great units, can be edited in realtime on your desktop through a midi-usb cable (the gt-10 offers a new usb thing, so i dont think midi-usb would be necessary), and unlike what everyone says about their sound, it doesnt sounds all so digital or fake at all. The majority of my tones all sounds as if i have the pedals i have active on my board all to those settings, without losing any real tone.

this is a really long post, sorry about that, but boss units (for multifx) are well worth the money. My local stores are selling gt-10s for like 500 and id never pay that much for it, but used are like between 250 and 300, which is really good for a unit that does everything mine does, plus more (more customization, better overall sounds, and even has a looper .. now thats a plus).

I havent looked around at too many other multifx, but am totally satisfied with this and probably wont look into replacing this with a non boss multi-fx. good luck in getting a kick ass multi fx, and like i said, didnt read your post, but if you have stomp boxes you dont care for, try selling them, save that cash and you'll have a bigger budget for a better product, cheers
Quote by Offworld92
Take a look at a used XT Live, as someone mentioned earlier.

I'm not really familiar with the unit - a Boss GT-10 or GT-8 might have better amp modeling, but it's probably on par for the most part.

You may also want to look into a used Line 6 POD HD300. Not sure how much they go for. But the quality of the amp modeling in that unit is far superior to anything else I've mentioned. They are very inflexible and have limited options, but if you're just gonna set it on a desk and record out from it, that may be okay for you.

Just check them all out, regardless. Youtube is your friend.

Scouring eBay for used Pods, the XT was actually the one that showed up more often than not. Actually going to a guitar shop again later today to try a few more units out, will give these a shot.

Quote by tas38
I thought the main concern was having so many different individual items. With a powered pedalboard, just unplug from wall, close board and there ya go.

Well, it's both that, and having to haul everything. I live on the third floor, and the nearby lot is always filled, so I'm always carrying all my stuff up three flights of stairs, and a good distance. It's in-part for convenience, but also because I want to do my back a favor and carry less/lighter, which a pedalboard would kind of do the opposite of. I plan to get one eventually, but not at the moment.

Quote by MaXiMuse
I think a pedalboard is the easiest thing to do. Just plug and play mate, it's pretty simple.

But if you're going to use Ableton, I can highly suggest taking a look at GuitarRig (arrr, thy might scramble upon it on the open seas mate). From my experience, MFX amp simulation never does the trick wel enough and the distortion/OD are also not top notch.

So what you need, is a new amp

simulator...

Unfortunately, where I used to be quite the oceanic swashbuckler, I decided to stick with dry land as of two or three years ago. I actually tried the demo of Guitar Rig, and really liked it, but $400 pricepoint is even more off-putting than the full version of Ableton's $330.

Quote by dudester410
not trying to advertise my unit more, but to clarify your understanding off the boss units, theres so much more to it than you may think. It comes with several amp models (ill name them just cause:

JC Clean (variations are JC-120, Jazz combo, full range),
TW Clean (Clean twin, pro crunch, tweed),
Crunch (crunch, blues, stack crunch),
VO Combo (VO drive, vo lead, vo clean),
Match DRV (Match drive, match lead, fat match),
BG Lead (BG lead, BG drive, BG rhythm),
MS Stack (MS1959(I), MS1959(I+II), MH HiGain),
R-Fier (R-fier red, r-fierOrang, R-FierVint)
Hi gain (SLDN, Drive Stack, Lead Stack)
Metal (5150 Drive, Metal Stack, Metal Lead)

These are all the amp models its packed with, which for the most part all sound great depending on what youre looking for. My particular model is an older model, and probably doesnt match up to the tonal possibilities of the gt-10, however definitely sounds great for whatever im looking for, whather it be lifeson, pantera, gilmoure, tallica, you name it, ive gotten great tones out of this thing.

Whats really cool about multifx is the amount of customization youre offered andthe fact that literally every stompbox sound you could ever want is at your disposal if youre willing to mess with the machine for a few mins.

I didnt read much of your post, but im aware youre trying to buy a mxf for a certain price. My opinion is to save more money, go to a local shop and find a used boss gt-10, 8 or 6. They're great units, can be edited in realtime on your desktop through a midi-usb cable (the gt-10 offers a new usb thing, so i dont think midi-usb would be necessary), and unlike what everyone says about their sound, it doesnt sounds all so digital or fake at all. The majority of my tones all sounds as if i have the pedals i have active on my board all to those settings, without losing any real tone.

this is a really long post, sorry about that, but boss units (for multifx) are well worth the money. My local stores are selling gt-10s for like 500 and id never pay that much for it, but used are like between 250 and 300, which is really good for a unit that does everything mine does, plus more (more customization, better overall sounds, and even has a looper .. now thats a plus).

I havent looked around at too many other multifx, but am totally satisfied with this and probably wont look into replacing this with a non boss multi-fx. good luck in getting a kick ass multi fx, and like i said, didnt read your post, but if you have stomp boxes you dont care for, try selling them, save that cash and you'll have a bigger budget for a better product, cheers

Hmm...well, if they do amps as well, then I'll give the GTs a look later today as well. Unfortunately that $200 pricepoint is pretty firm - it's already double what I want to pay - but I could get lucky and see one for $199.95.

Keep the input coming, the more the better!

And I am back from trying them out. The GTs were very nice, but A/Bing them, the Pod got a slight edge to my ears.

One thing I'm curious about though; I'm digging through eBay listings for a used Pod in good condition to save money. Most of them don't include the CD that comes with it. What's on the CD, is it something I need, or can I get by without it? And can I download it from Line 6 online or something, or is it CD only?

Any software you need should be able to be downloaded from Line 6.

Which POD were you impressed with?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Any software you need should be able to be downloaded from Line 6.

Which POD were you impressed with?

Excellent, that frees up a lot of cheaper options on eBay.

The standard $200 Pod 2.0. I was tempted to try the Pod HD, but considering the flexibility issues you mentioned, the fact it's twice my max pricepoint at $200, and how size is one of the issues since I have a pretty tiny dorm room and will next year - tiny as it is, it has AC, and that is something I am willing to sacrifice space for - I couldn't justify the extra money right now. It didn't make me go "I can't tell the difference between this and the real thing," but for $200 it was pretty damn good, definitely recordable, and I'm not expecting Axe-FX/Eleven Rack quality at $200.

POD XT Live gets my vote also. Had mine since 05 or 06 and still use it quite a bit. Did take a while to get the tones I wanted out of it, but they are in there, just takes alot of work to find them. Been plugged into alot of different amps and has never failed me. No substitue for my Delta Blues and pedals but will be good for what your talking about.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
A Pod for me anytime over a GT.

Personally the effects are pretty much on par between these 2 units in terms of sound quality and versatility.

In terms of drive pedals, the Pod performs reasonably better than the GT.

In terms of amp simulation, the GT series and Boss COSM technology was good about a decade a ago. Compared to the Pods, they are very lackluster (anything with Pod 2.0 and above).

Overall, unless you significantly prefer the GT to the Pod, go with a Pod any day.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.