Hey guys,

I'm putting up a small studio, and I'm looking for a small tube amp head, something that can be turned up somewhat at bedroomish levels. And no, I wont be able to crank a 15-watt all-tube class A amp in my bedroom. I don't need power to be heard over a drummer, all I need is a versatile amp with nice tone. I own a recently bought Orange TH30 but it's a bitch to carry around and it's really loud for practice and recording. I already have a spare 112 cab with a V30 so I don't want to get a combo (also small combos tend to have bad speakers).

My budget is pretty tight, the less the better. I'll be recording all sorts of stuff so I need versatility. I need the amp to cover blues and classic rock tones, also would be nice to be able to pull off some metal tones, mostly more old school stuff and some Dream Theater. I'll mainly be using guitars with humbuckers.

I'm willing to go used. I live in Finland where prices are higher than in most places.

Please go ahead and make suggestions! I haven't yet had the chance to go amp hunting so this is more of a preliminary survey.

In the mean time I have questions about a couple amps:
Kustom Defender 5v. Simple and very cheap. I've read that it gets pretty loud before the sound starts to clip due to lack of gain/master knob. How does this handle metal tones when boosted with an OD pedal? Also how does it take pedals in general?

Vox Lil' Night Train . Watched a youtube demo on this amp, handled classic rock stuff beautifully, had quite a bit of gain. How about metal when boosted? Does it have enough bottom end, demo sounded very british and middly.

Thank you, kind people!
most of those cheaper tube amps aren't that versatile and a fair few of them also have a fair bit of background noise (which doesn't help with the recording thing).

that's probably not what you wanted to hear... I haven't tried the two you mentioned, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An Egnater tweaker 15 mightbe just what your looking for. I have the 40 and I love it. It's really versatile with all it's switches.
H&K tubemeister 5? with de redsocket thingy you can record silently. You'll need a boost to drive it enough to play metal though.

Tubemeister (18w) would be even better, it's more versatile, but maybe it's out of your budget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyJZ87yKLc
Quote by AmIEvil?
Hey guys,

I'm putting up a small studio, and I'm looking for a small tube amp head, something that can be turned up somewhat at bedroomish levels.

You and seemingly everybody else. Problem is, you're searching for a Unicorn.

1w through your V30 will produce 100db.

For comparison 100db is a jackhammer at 15m or a loud motorcycle or snowmobile...

Ignore wattage, test several amps that have volume knobs and see what works for you.

Or go the sim route.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Blackstar HT5

or Epiphone Valve junior - i don't know if they still make them, try finding used ones. I have one, and i love it. Turn the volume up and play, no screwing around with the knobs
i do not recommend a lil night train for huge bottom end metal. in my head, i would be running a reallu great distortion pedal in front.

i love the night train, but it is not a metal amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I hve the Blackstar ht-5 and it does those things perfectly. but its still pretty loud which i wasnt expecting from a 5 watt amp.
Quote by Arby911
You and seemingly everybody else. Problem is, you're searching for a Unicorn.

1w through your V30 will produce 100db.

For comparison 100db is a jackhammer at 15m or a loud motorcycle or snowmobile...

Ignore wattage, test several amps that have volume knobs and see what works for you.

Or go the sim route.

Sticky this shit. Seriously.

Wattage is a measure of headroom... it doesn't really measure anything else usefully. How good an amp sounds at talking or TV volumes is all to do with what's going on inside, under the hood. The wattage doesn't have anything to do with it.

In fact, in general most low wattage amps sound worse at low volumes than the big monsters that were specifically designed for the preamp to do the heavy lifting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had a Marshall 2555SL that I bought strictly for home use, sounded like complete ass at any thing other than window shattering volumes. Some big watt amps may sound great at low volumes, my experiences with Marshalls tell me they dont. YMMV
Last edited by pugachev at Mar 30, 2013,
Turn your amp's volume control down. The TH30 has controls to cut it down to 7w so you can get some power amp saturation at moderate volumes. If you want to get more saturation at very low volumes, buy a power attenuator, it'll be cheaper than buying a second amp.

Hell, if you're using a TH30 then you're probably mostly using the preamp distortion anyway, so the volume really shouldn't make much of a difference.

If you really need something smaller just for the purposes of carrying it around, go for an Orange Tiny Terror, or the Dark Terror or Jim Root model, depending on the sort of controls you like. It'll keep your tone in roughly the same ballpark as when you're using the TH30 and they're easy to carry. The TH30 will still sound fuller and richer at any volume, though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.