Hello, I recently purchased a bugera 6260 and the distortion sounds like crap.
It's hard to explain really but it's just weak, thin sounding and is very noisey. Even when I don't even have anything plugged into the amp, there's lots of noise that sounds like an old TV.

My settings are at:

Gain: 5
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Treble: 3

I've tried messing around for hours with different settings and such but it never seems to help.

I'm basically trying to get a smooth metal distortion, which I am sure this amp should be more than capable of.

I've tried it on a LTD EC-256, and Epiphone Explorer with EMG 81/60s and a Epiphone Les Paul.
Last edited by joesmith1992 at Mar 29, 2013,
Sounds like a bad preamp tube. But it might also be because you're cutting out all your frequencies with your EQ like that...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ive brought a set of EL34s from eurotubes.com, think i'll notice the change? I'm new to tube amps.

cheers
Quote by joesmith1992
ive brought a set of EL34s from eurotubes.com, think i'll notice the change? I'm new to tube amps.

cheers

Hopefully it's not the preamp tubes.

Edit: Yes, you should notice a difference. However, I would have gone with preamp tubes first. But, who knows; I could be wrong.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 29, 2013,
I just brought an entire retube for the amp, i believe it will come with preamp tubes aswell?

Here's my order, like I said, I am very unsure about tube amps as I am new to them xD

Bugera 6260 Standard retube kit with E34L's 1
--ECC83S Standard 4
--ECC83S Balanced 1
--E34L Matched Quad 1
That has everything you need. You will need to rebias the amp, so you might want to do some searching on how to do that. That should hopefully clear up your issues, I really like the E34Ls in that amp too.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Well I would google it because there are plenty of people that can explain better than I, or you could do a search on this site for it, either way it is setting the amount of power (not really, but best way I can think to explain it) that your power tubes are using. There is a nominal range that people generally like to stay in, though there is a certain amount of personal taste involved in it.

Also make sure you switch the bias switch to EL34 from 6L6
Okay thanks, so I'm guessing if I just pop the new tubes in, change the bias switch to EL34 and turn my amp on the tubes will probably blow?
Well probably not, you can test it to see if they work, but I would definitely get it biased as soon as you could, if you find that it is too ambitious for you take it to a tech
I've decided to save myself the money and ( possible electrocution :P ) and try replacing the preamps first. I've gone for a set of 12AX7 JJs to see if that will solve the issue. From what I've read, if my power tubes were going, I'd get different issues other than a loss of tone and fuzzy distorton.. (right?)

I also tried out the trick of tapping the preamp tubes with a pencil and one of them makes a noise. (Is this the sign of a bad tube?)

Hopefully with these new preamp tubes I'll have this issue solved, but as I said I am a total newbie to tubes.
Yup. replace the bad one. But replace all of them too...JJ's are better than whatever is stock in there.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Trying preamp first is fine, smart, though you probably wouldn't electrocute yourself trying to bias the tubes, on that amp you don't have to mess with inside of the amp to bias it.

Hearing some noise when tapping a preamp tube doesn't inherently mean that it is bad, but hearing a loud or unusual noise is a sign that a tube is microphonic. Your problems sound more related to preamp tubes so I would try that to see if the problem goes away. The power tubes that come in Bugeras are pretty awful, so it wouldn't hurt to replace them, but if they are working then it isn't crucial.
Quote by joesmith1992
I've decided to save myself the money and ( possible electrocution :P ) and try replacing the preamps first. I've gone for a set of 12AX7 JJs to see if that will solve the issue. From what I've read, if my power tubes were going, I'd get different issues other than a loss of tone and fuzzy distorton.. (right?)

I also tried out the trick of tapping the preamp tubes with a pencil and one of them makes a noise. (Is this the sign of a bad tube?)

Hopefully with these new preamp tubes I'll have this issue solved, but as I said I am a total newbie to tubes.

Could be. Thats why it is always good to have spares. Once you replace them all keep all the other tubes that didn't make this noise.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
So today I replaced all of the preamp valves with JJ's, and although the tone is more smoother now, that fuzzy, crackly distortion is not fixed. It still sounds like crap. Any ideas?

EDIT: Any chance it could be the speakers? The preamp tube replacment didn't fix the static buzzing sound when the amp is switched on either.
Last edited by joesmith1992 at Apr 3, 2013,
Oh, it's definitely the speakers as well.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Could you put up a recording?

It may just have to be taken to a tech, it sucks but it could be a number of problems, the recording will help.
I also have the suspicion it may be because I use this amp running at volume 1-2, maybe it needs to be cranked up to get a more decent tone.
I'll put up a recording soon.

EDIT: Ah great, just turned it back on just now and the lead channel sounds almost clean now, with a slight bit of fuzz, turning up the gain or any of the EQ doesnt seem to change anything.
Last edited by joesmith1992 at Apr 3, 2013,
Is the gain knob on ten in that recording?

Something is definitely up, and that normally is a problem that pre-amp tubes can fix, but since you have tried that already, I am not sure. I am going to send a couple other guys in here and see if they can help, but may just be time for a tech.
Quote by joesmith1992
Hello, I recently purchased a bugera 6260 and the distortion sounds like crap.
It's hard to explain really but it's just weak, thin sounding and is very noisey. Even when I don't even have anything plugged into the amp, there's lots of noise that sounds like an old TV.

My settings are at:

Gain: 5
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Treble: 3

I've tried messing around for hours with different settings and such but it never seems to help.

I'm basically trying to get a smooth metal distortion, which I am sure this amp should be more than capable of.

I've tried it on a LTD EC-256, and Epiphone Explorer with EMG 81/60s and a Epiphone Les Paul.

Did you buy it used? If you bought it new take it in for warranty.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Got it used, however I am able to get my money back. I think I'll stick with my trusty Vypyr Tube 60 for now. Thanks for your help guys.
LOL

I was going to come in here and tell you to ditch your Bugera fire box and get a Vypyr Tube 60

But have you tried a different guitar? Have you tried plugging your guitar into the FX Return? But yeah - if you can get your money back then do that. Where did you get it?
Quote by joesmith1992
I also have the suspicion it may be because I use this amp running at volume 1-2, maybe it needs to be cranked up to get a more decent tone.
I'll put up a recording soon.

EDIT: Ah great, just turned it back on just now and the lead channel sounds almost clean now, with a slight bit of fuzz, turning up the gain or any of the EQ doesnt seem to change anything.

Sounds just like my 6260 at low volume. Turn it up and you won't even notice it. The tone of the 6260 doesn't even come through till you open it up a little.

If you bought the 6260 to play at low volumes without any hiss or noise, then you best look into a suppressor
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
when you say there's noise that sounds like an old t.v. how loud is it? i have a 6505+ and if i turn it to band volume and don't play anything it's pretty noisy. probably about talking volume give or take. of course, when i'm playing, that's not audible, and if your ears are adjusted to the volume of the amp the noise is pretty quiet. the noise is in the pre amp, so if i turn the amp down to bedroom levels the fuzz stuff is barely audible, but still there. this is all normal. if that's what you are experiencing then don't worry about that noise.
if the noise is particularly loud and audible easily over your playing you probably have a problem and fixing that would fix your distortion to most likely.
if the noise is a regular volume then there's a few other things to consider and first i would wonder about your speakers. are you using the same cabinet as you were with your old amp or did you change your cabinet to? if you got a new cabinet and are using different speakers you're going to get a very different sound. you get used to the gear you have, and crappy gear tends to have odd sounds. you get used to that odd sound and when you have something more normal sounding it's going to sound bad to you. (i noticed this mostly with drums... getting new cymbals with no way to try them out first is not always fun, but by the time i can replace them i don't want to any more because i got used to them. it took my quite a while for my snare to grow on me...) if there is a way, try running your amp through your old speaker set up. make sure you do so safely and don't damage your amp...
what cabinet and speakers are you using now and what were you using with your last amp? give it a minute, SOMETIMES it's not the gear you have that sounds bad, it's just the way you percieve it.
still with this all in mind... it could just be broken. compare your amp to sombody elses amp that you like, running it through the same cabinet. (at a different time!) if yours still sounds like shit compared to theirs then there might be a problem.