I just started playing in a instrumental stoner band but I can't seem to find the right sound. I'm looking for some good fuzz or distortion pedals. For now I'm playing on an gibson sg, amp VOX AC30 with bb preamp, and alberta trex. Our influances are Sleep, russian circles, Pelican,...
The Vox is pretty much the opposite of what you want. You want something with a huge low end, lots of power amp headroom and no jangle. Matt Pike used Electric Amps back when he was in Sleep, IIRC. Orange/MatAmp are similar in character and a bit more available. I used to have a Thunderverb that was great for stoner/doom.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Mike Sullivan and Brian Cook from Russian Circles both use Vrellen Meatsmokes when I saw them in Philly 2 weeks ago. Mike used to use a Sunn Model T reissue.

Pretty sure the guys from Pelican use JCM900s. You want something bigger, dude.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
My Peavey Studio Pro does great things.

I don't care what anyone says, I love the Peavey transtube amps. While I haven't played too many guitars, I have played through a lot of amps.
Laney AOR 50/100 great stoner amp ~$300ish used (sleep used these for years)
Peavey Butcher (the 1980's model)~$300ish
Peavey VTM 60/120 ~$250ish
Peavey Windsor ~$250ish
Orange AD30
Orange TH30/100
Sovtek MIG 50/100
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bjjorn
I just started playing in a instrumental stoner band but I can't seem to find the right sound. I'm looking for some good fuzz or distortion pedals. For now I'm playing on an gibson sg, amp VOX AC30 with bb preamp, and alberta trex. Our influances are Sleep, russian circles, Pelican,...

Hmm...all the bands you're talking about are well known for getting their distortion out of their amps, but that's not to say you can't get a decent stonery kind of sound out of your rig either.

A fuzz face is always a good bet when talking about Stoner rock.

A Big Muff can get you a nice heavy fuzz sound too. Way Huge Swollen Pickle or Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz are both very good Big Muff variants that will get you a large range of tones. Nothing wrong with an original Big Muff either, it's just not as versatile.

You can also experiment with some boosts, tubescreamers, Proco Rat, to help your amp get some extra grit out of it.
Don't forget trying a bass amp (like an old ampeg) and a fuzz. That can get you a huge bottom end. Or maybe a Sovtek MIG
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Currently loving the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom for doom, and I'd definitely recommend trying to find yourself a Matamp, amazing amps.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by iwannabesedated
Hmm...all the bands you're talking about are well known for getting their distortion out of their amps, but that's not to say you can't get a decent stonery kind of sound out of your rig either.

A fuzz face is always a good bet when talking about Stoner rock.

A Big Muff can get you a nice heavy fuzz sound too. Way Huge Swollen Pickle or Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz are both very good Big Muff variants that will get you a large range of tones. Nothing wrong with an original Big Muff either, it's just not as versatile.

You can also experiment with some boosts, tubescreamers, Proco Rat, to help your amp get some extra grit out of it.

This. You don't necessarily need a new amp. Get a good fuzz pedal and you should be able to make your Vox work for stoner.

If you need something super heavy you can try find a Boss FZ-2, use the fuzz ii mode for ultimate destruction.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Last edited by godgrinder at Mar 30, 2013,
Quote by godgrinder
This. You don't necessarily need a new amp. Get a good fuzz pedal and you should be able to make your Vox work for stoner.

If you need something super heavy you can try find a Boss FZ-2, use the fuzz ii mode for ultimate destruction.

I passed on an opportunity to buy an FZ-2 for $90.

That was a mistake.
Thx for the respons! New amp is a bit to pricey for me this year. But heared that egnater amps ar also great ones! But now I'm looking at a Zvex Fuzzfactory or Eau clair thunder. Seems to be nice toys...
Quote by Bjjorn
Thx for the respons! New amp is a bit to pricey for me this year. But heared that egnater amps ar also great ones! But now I'm looking at a Zvex Fuzzfactory or Eau clair thunder. Seems to be nice toys...

Fuzz Factory isn't what I would recommend. It's a nice pedal but I'm not sure that's what you want.

The Eau Claire Thunder is a great pedal, but for the $275 price tag you could probably grab yourself a new amp.
Second hand? Cause haven't found amps at $300 or euro with same power as my vox.
Maybe, I can help you?

(spam removed)

boomstarter.ru /projects/buntar/ticket_to_freedom
Quote by ihartfood
read title wrong, came to recommend a bong.

has no one said musket yet?

Yea, what the hell? After the first few posts, everyone moves away from rec'ing amps and nobody mentions the best stoner/doom pedal currently on the market... Musket slays.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ihartfood
read title wrong, came to recommend a bong.

has no one said musket yet?

Read my first post, I suggested the Musket.
And Red Witch Fuzz God II? Will check out the musket! Only one shop who sells the eau claire. sucks
Last edited by Bjjorn at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by Bjjorn
And Red Witch Fuzz God II?

Overpriced. I'm from New Zealand and the resale value of their pedals are extremely low. Most of the 2nd hand Red Witch pedals I saw locally goes for less than half of the retail price.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Yeah wasn't to wild about it anyway! I like the musket very much, the twosome dual fuzz very interesting! So its that or the eau claire!!
Are you planning on changing your amp, too?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Are you planning on changing your amp, too?

Maybe later! First new fuzz. But maybe planning to buy just a head: matamp .
Quote by Bjjorn
Maybe later! First new fuzz. But maybe planning to buy just a head: matamp .

Definitely do that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
My marshall Dsl 100 sounds f***king HUGE with a way huge swollen pickle through the green channell with the gain at 12 oclock. Turn the sustain on the pedal way down, crank the loudness knob, a bitta crunch, a bitta scoop (but not too much), filter at about 10 oclock. Jesus christ, how the beast does awaken
Quote by Bjjorn

My stoner/doom sound is a peavey envoy 110 clean channel, a digitech rp7 with the pitch shift set an octave down with the fuzz set and a peavey sc-2 tuned to Cstandard and my band steam sounds like electric wizard and sleep combined, which is awesome because those are my major sonic influences

P.s where can I find the sleep song Antarcticans thawed studio version for free?
Quote by DESTROYER5000
My stoner/doom sound is a peavey envoy 110 clean channel, a digitech rp7 with the pitch shift set an octave down with the fuzz set and a peavey sc-2 tuned to Cstandard and my band steam sounds like electric wizard and sleep combined, which is awesome because those are my major sonic influences

P.s where can I find the sleep song Antarcticans thawed studio version for free?

purchase it like a big boy with money, dont be a cheap skate pirate rat

> major sonic influence
> doesnt want to pay for 1 song

DOHOHO