Yesterday I picked up a used Vypyr Tube 60 amp from a guy on Kijiji for $250. I brought my guitar over to his house & demo'd the amp for 20 mins before purchasing, it seemed 100% fine. He said he bought the amp in 2008, but hasn't touched it in 2 years, played it 5-10 hours a week at its peak, & only jammed with it w/ buddies 3-4 times. I believe the guy because the amp is in fantastic condition, virtually new-looking. He threw in a free guitar cable I was using to demo the amp. He was a casual player, I even knew more about the amp than he did from just playing it in the store a lot.

HOWEVER, when I got the amp home I used my new Peavey "PV Series" 20' guitar cable I got this Xmas. At first the amp still worked fine but I noticed that when the end of the guitar cable plugged into the amp input jack leans down toward the floor the amp completely cuts out! If I jiggle the cable near the input jack I can position it to where the amp with play fine again, but sometimes when I plug in the cable the amp won't play until I jiggle the cable a bit & will cut out if the cable moves again. Oddly, only one end of my cable usually does this, when I plug the other cable end into the amp input it usually is fine (but did cut out once). I have another brand-new matching set of Peavey PV Series 20' guitar cables that was still in package, so I tried it and the amp still cut out the same sometimes despite which cable end was plugged into my amp/guitar (again, depending on which direction the cable is facing when coming out of the amp input jack). I tried an older cable and it also cuts out. However, the guitar cable the guy threw in for free works great, and only cut out once when I was really trying to make it cut out.

The guitar input jack of the Tube 60 is also a bit loose. I tried tightening it (and loosening it a bit, though I dont want to mess with it too much) but it doesn't help, other than changing the direction the guitar cable needs to face for the amp to completely cut out. The amp even powered on & off a couple times when I loosened the input jack too much. Its not the speaker because the amp still cuts out when I plug in headphones. It happens with multiple guitars too. I'm mostly using an Ibanez RG120. I'm using no other pedals etc. just guitar to amp.

Wondering what the problem likely is? The Kijiji guy seemed nice/honest, his email address had links to his Facebook & Twitter accounts so he never seemed secretive. Is this fixable or should I just try to get my money back?
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Mar 30, 2013,
It needs an input jack. Your fault for not checking it or using a shitty cable.

I hate to say it. Don't bash that guy, it's not his fault.

It should be an easy fix for a tech. Take it in and spend a little bit of money. You'll enjoy the amp afterwards.

Input jacks do go bad. It's not a big deal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Yep, really not a big deal - input jacks are the most common things to go on amps after tubes.

Any respectable tech won't charge much to do it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by R45VT
It needs an input jack. Your fault for not checking it or using a shitty cable.

I hate to say it. Don't bash that guy, it's not his fault.

It should be an easy fix for a tech. Take it in and spend a little bit of money. You'll enjoy the amp afterwards.

Input jacks do go bad. It's not a big deal.

Hmm thanks, I didn't know it was a very common problem. I've had bad luck with input jacks on my guitars and with guitar cables in general. I thought I checked over the amp pretty good before I bought it but alas.

Any rough estimate how much this fix will cost?
I dunno there. Where are you located?

I fix them myself so I don't have to pay anyone. I really don't have a clue.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
I dunno there. Where are you located?

I fix them myself so I don't have to pay anyone. I really don't have a clue.

That's ok, I'll just call a few guitar shops tomorrow and ask.
Guitar shop service workers in my area stores are off until Monday so I couldn't ask anyone or bring it in to a shop.

I'm welcome to any other second opinions on my problem.
That cable doesn't have a cutout switch on the plug does it? Have you tried a different cable?

Edit: Sorry, you already said. Yeah I concur with the others - input jack needs to be replaced.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The shop will probably charge you something like $20-$30 plus cost of the part if they are a diecent shop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea, unfortunately they'll have the remove the PCB assembly to get at the jack, so you're looking at about half an hour's labor charge at least. I'd say $30-35 is probably about right.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
PCB mounted jacks suck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Yep, I ended up replacing one PCB mounted jack with a regular switchcraft casis mount jack in my Bugera 333.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys for your input, I'll be bringing the amp in to a store tomorrow to get it looked at. The Vypyr Tube 60 is a complicated piece of equipment with all the modeling circuitry etc. so I'm a bit scared to have somebody open it up and fiddle with it, especially since the jack only cuts out once in a while, and I got a bit scared also when I tried to loosen/tighten the jack aon the face of the amp a bit (I just tightened the nut on the washer) and all the LED's shutoff for a few seconds and the amp reset. Not gonna touch it anymore until a pro looks at it.
They are incredible simple internally.

A reputable shop should have no problem and you will be enjoying your amp for years to come.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT

A reputable shop should have no problem and you will be enjoying your amp for years to come.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by R45VT

Well, I just assumed your average shop tech wouldn't know the ins-and-out of the the Vypyr modeling processor, that's all. But thanks, let's hope you're 100% right!
Quote by Barricade_28
Well, I just assumed your average shop tech wouldn't know the ins-and-out of the the Vypyr modeling processor, that's all. But thanks, let's hope you're 100% right!

We have a gut shots thread...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Hey Barricade.

First off - congrats on your new amp

I have a Vypyr 60 and it is a beast of an amp.

It is true that the Insert Jack is PCB mounted. Luckily it looks like it has its own individual PCB board. I've got some old pics of when I took the 'fangs' off of mine and took some pics of the insides.

I do know that the insert jacks on these Vypyrs (like lots of other amps too) can give people some grief. It is possible that the jack connections just need to be re-positioned a bit and not not replaced altogether. This problem is pretty well documented on the web and the peavey vypyr forum in particular. If you, or the tech, does a bit of research up front you may be able to shave off some time troubleshooting.

Maybe you've already dropped it off

See the smaller square board behind the jack? that is what we are talking about. I'm not sure what damage (if any) can occur by turning/tightening the jack on the outside.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

See the smaller square board behind the jack? that is what we are talking about. I'm not sure what damage (if any) can occur by turning/tightening the jack on the outside.

Wow thanks for your post and the picture. Which small board? The one with a bunch of other stuff connected (behind the stompbox/amp/effects knobs)? Or that little tiny thing right on top of the jack with the one cable coming off it?

I didn't drop my amp off yet, my local store wanted $50 just to give an estimate, which is ridiculous, so I'm bringing it to another place tomorrow.

Also, the amp completely shut down and restarted when I loosened the jack from the outside, not when I tightened it. I hate input jacks & guitar cable ends, they always seem to loosen on me even though I take great care of my stuff. Thanks again.
Quote by Barricade_28
Or that little tiny thing right on top of the jack with the one cable coming off it?

That one. The small square vertical one.

With these amps, most amps actually, I would not screw/turn/spin and insert jack nut without having access to the opposite side. For this reason.

It is not surprising to me that they want to charge a $50 minimum fee. Where ever you go ask for a free estimate. If you are handy with jacks like you say you are and want to open this sucker up then take some pictures. I'm not sure if there are lethal voltages stored in filter caps on this amp but since it has a power section (6505+ power section) it is probably safe to say that you do not want to touch anything inside that chassis.

Edit: If you are just working on that small section that has the insert jack - you'll be fine. Just don't touch those filter caps or really anything on that larger board opposite of where you will be.

Maybe find a mom n pop shop or a friend or an 'amp tech' on craigslist or something.

Edit 2: Agreed Cathbard v

But if it takes someone half an hour to take the Vypyr apart because they are unfamiliar it and then another 1/2 hour to troubleshoot fix plus a $50 min bench fee - you could have $100+ fix to a $2 problem.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 1, 2013,
Any tech that couldn't replace that jack should be fired.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Any tech that couldn't replace that jack should be fired.

Then they aren't a tech....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If you are handy with jacks like you say you are and want to open this sucker up then take some pictures.

I'm definitely not handy with input jacks. This is my first amp other than a 15w practice amp (and a multi-fx pedal I run through my home stereo LOL), even though I've been playing for over 6 years haha (1st 2 years were acoustic only).

But I had a problem with a loose jack on my guitar where it would cut out & needed to be serviced a couple of years ago right after I bought it off eBay (Ibanez RG120). I've gone through a bunch of guitar cables with bad connectors too. Why do they design instrument cables that have ends on them that so easy unscrew, what a badly designed component??

Maybe find a mom n pop shop or a friend or an 'amp tech' on craigslist or something.

Good advice. I phoned such a place and they said free estimates, but also said they have such a backload it would take 2 weeks to do the work.

But if it takes someone half an hour to take the Vypyr apart because they are unfamiliar it and then another 1/2 hour to troubleshoot fix plus a $50 min bench fee - you could have $100+ fix to a $2 problem.

exactly what I wish to avoid. The guy I bought this off Kijiji from has been supportive though, I could probably get my money back if I wanted. Problem is I live in Canada and used Vypyrs aren't common to buy.
Think about what an insert jack looks like. It has contacts for the tip and ring portion of the cable tip correct? Over time, those can be bent. Turning and twisting it won't help it just makes it worse. The fact that you have to pull the jack down or to one side tells me that this is probably part of your problem.

I can post detailed pics of me taking my Vypyr apart if that will help you.

PS: I am not an amp tech

Help explain to me again why it worked when you demo'd it with his cable (that he gave you right?) and why it doesn't work now?

I personally would not want to risk ****ing up a PCB board by swapping this out but for some guys that is a no brainer.

Also, try some better cables, like PlanetWaves. They don't unscrew and are guaranteed not to **** up.
No offense, I would hate to sell to someone like you.

I buy used gear all the time. I try to inspect it as much as possible but it is still easy to miss something. You just deal with it. If I miss something its my fault.

Either you missed it and bought it like that, or it broke when you got it home. They do break and go bad.

Could have been your shit ass cables breaking it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by R45VT

I buy used gear all the time. I try to inspect it as much as possible but it is still easy to miss something. You just deal with it. If I miss something its my fault.

Either you missed it and bought it like that, or it broke when you got it home. They do break and go bad.

I don't see where Barricade has blamed the seller. Not once.

In fact:

Quote by Barricade_28
The Kijiji guy seemed nice/honest, his email address had links to his Facebook & Twitter accounts so he never seemed secretive. Is this fixable or should I just try to get my money back?

Quote by Barricade_28
The guy I bought this off Kijiji from has been supportive though, I could probably get my money back if I wanted. Problem is I live in Canada and used Vypyrs aren't common to buy.

He's just looking for some help.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't see where Barricade has blamed the seller. Not once.

In fact:

He's just looking for some help.

Quote by Barricade_28

exactly what I wish to avoid. The guy I bought this off Kijiji from has been supportive though, I could probably get my money back if I wanted. Problem is I live in Canada and used Vypyrs aren't common to buy.

Maybe I just read his comments wrong. No biggie.

Another thought if OP is worried about some hack in his amp- take it an authorized peavey dealer/repair center. Might be a few more $$ but should be worth in case something else were to go wrong. Plus they would have plenty of experience.

http://www.peavey.com/support/dealerlocator/
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by R45VT

i am with you 100%. in a perfect world with honest people you would get your money back. i do a lot of buying/selling/trading, and wouldn't ever take anything back after it crosses my doorstep. after that it is yours. i am honest and if something is wrong it is, and i will tell them.

but IMO the seller shouldn't have to even listen to a return option. sold as is.

but i agree with 311, also noting that the OP never said anything bad about the guy and it wasn't a shady deal or something like that.

shit happens. maybe something was wrong, that the seller didn't know anything wrong if he had that cable in there.

good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm definitely not suggesting he go back to the seller and get his money back. The amp worked as advertised and it is a done deal.

If anything, twisting and turning the insert jack may have caused the problem.

I was just pointing out that I never got the vibe that the TS was saying/feeling like he got shafted he just wants to fix his amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm definitely not suggesting he go back to the seller and get his money back. The amp worked as advertised and it is a done deal.

If anything, twisting and turning the insert jack may have caused the problem.

I was just pointing out that I never got the vibe that the TS was saying/feeling like he got shafted he just wants to fix his amp.

I more or less wanted to point out it was on him and he shouldn't needlessly bash the guy who sold it. Some people just go crazy and trash them for crap like that.

I hope TS gets it fixed for under $50 bucks and gets on enjoying his amp.

Removing a multipin component is never something I would suggest for someone who does not already have the initiative to do it themselves. The more pins through a PCB the more solder must be removed and the more chances of lifting a trace off of the board.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Ignoring the above drama...

UPDATE: brought the amp in to a shop a couple days ago, for free the tech was nice enough to pop open the amp and tighten the input jack and also glue both sides of it down. The jack isn't loose now of course but the problem persists, so it's likely the input jack needs to replaced. My friend has an amp with an input jack that does the exact same thing (only much worse) despite any cables I tried with it so it isn't my cables, it's for sure the jack or something within the amp.

Thanks for pic again 311, the inside of the amp via the tech did indeed look exactly like your pic haha.
Quote by R45VT
I hope TS gets it fixed for under $50 bucks and gets on enjoying his amp.

Removing a multipin component is never something I would suggest for someone who does not already have the initiative to do it themselves. The more pins through a PCB the more solder must be removed and the more chances of lifting a trace off of the board.

Are you saying there's a risk further damage to the amp in getting the input jack replaced (by a tech), or just a risk if I (a total amateur) were to do it myself?
Quote by Barricade_28
Are you saying there's a risk further damage to the amp in getting the input jack replaced (by a tech), or just a risk if I (a total amateur) were to do it myself?

any decent tech would have no problem. should be less than a 2 minute job.

i am relatively new to PCB soldering, and if you are patient, its not bad, but i definitely agree with R45VT, i wouldn't do it if i wasn't familiar. it would honestly still intimidate me a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
any decent tech would have no problem. should be less than a 2 minute job.

i am relatively new to PCB soldering, and if you are patient, its not bad, but i definitely agree with R45VT, i wouldn't do it if i wasn't familiar. it would honestly still intimidate me a little bit.

Ok thanks. The tech at my store was telling me it would take a full hour and charge me $60 or so, I thought "screw that".
Quote by Barricade_28
Ok thanks. The tech at my store was telling me it would take a full hour and charge me $60 or so, I thought "screw that".

as far as a shop goes, that is normal. typically to get it up on the bench is $50 and a part cost, you would be right there, most techs bill by the hour. if you do it yourself and lift up a trace or two, it will get to be a much bigger pain in the ass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $50 per hour. $60 sounds about right.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification