My high e string is very taut compared to my other strings. Every time I bend it i think it's going to break. I can almost bend 2 whole steps with my b and g, but my e string feels like it's going to break when I make it past a half step...
I've got a gibson les paul and I use D'adarrio 9.5's. I recently broke a high e string also, I was tuning it up and it felt like it was going to break, the second i bent the string a tiny bit it snapped at the bridge. I would suspect a bur in the saddle but I don't understand how that make the string very tight.
remembet that if ur intonation is off, if the 12th fretted note is flat compared to the 12th fret harmonic, the string requires more psi to achieve the same note... as for removing burrs, get a d string and run it back and forth across the saddle for a few minutes, then put a little carmex on it. make sure ur not tuning too hi. also the bar holding the ball end of the strings could be raised to lessen string breakage.
Sounds like you may be an octave too high, as has been suggested. Definitely take care of any burrs or sharp edges in the bridge, but be extra careful when tuning up.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Sounds like you may be an octave too high, as has been suggested. Definitely take care of any burrs or sharp edges in the bridge, but be extra careful when tuning up.

I think if the high E was an entire octave too high, he would be breaking some serious tension records for a ~.09-.11 gauge string. I don't think a high string on a guitar can get very much farther uptuned than an A, and that's seriously pushing it, even with an .08 gauge string.

The only thing I can think of that makes a slight difference in string tension is how you attach the string to the tuning peg. Did you wrap it a crapload of times around the peg? The string should only be wrapped 2 or 3 times max around the tuning peg. Less if you have locking tuners, which I don't think you would have on a GLP.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Well given the tightness of the string is determined by:

Tuning, Scale length and String Thickness

If your tuning to standard a 9 should happily go on any standard scale guitar, the number of wraps wouldnt make the string too tight, but there may be an increased risk of the string losing its tune a bit more.

Id say assuming your tuning to the correct pitch, then theres something obviously cutting the string, and you will know by where the string is breaking.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
You could get a .09 an octave too high.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not