Has anyone ever heard of this brand? Harper. It was given to me yesterday while helping clean out a house after the person passed away. It, as far as we can tell, sat in the case at the top of a closet for probably years.

It sounds like mud and the electronics are shot. The floating bridge is terrible and it won't stay in tune.

Thinking of replacing it all and giving it to my 13 year old for his first guitar.
Attachments:
Harper2.jpg
Looks like a strat copy, probably one of a billion knock-off starter guitars. You should at least try to fix it up before foisting it on a poor teen who doesn't know anything about guitars.
Oddly, I know of several different Harper guitar companies, including one run by a guy with a bad BBB rating.

....and that guitar doesn't come from any of therm.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
"Made in Korea". That basically means "this guitar isn't worth much".

I assume that's why you made this thread, to find out if it's worth something.
You might want to put a qualifier on that, like "On an older guitar like that..."

...because newer MiK guitars can be quite nice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As far as giving it to your son, and in regards to first learning guitar, a guitar is a guitar. If you think it's worth it, and if your son likes it, I would put some money into it to fix it up.

Block the tremolo or completely swap out the floating trem for something else. Gut and replace the electronics, or just swap out the pickups (up to you). Maybe even grab some guitar cleaner/polish and pretty it up a bit.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might want to put a qualifier on that, like "On an older guitar like that..."

...because newer MiK guitars can be quite nice.

I agree, but they still aren't worth much.