Hypothetically, if you had a child, do you think its OK to or wrong to dictate what music they listen to in hope they grow up listening to the good stuff when older?

I mean, my family aren't exactly big on music so never really encouraged me in a certain direction. They all used to try and dictate what football team I'd support though. Majority wanted me to support Liverpool, whereas my Dad wanted me to support Arsenal. Kinda like that.

In some ways I think just let kids do their own thing, but im not sure on this one.
''Good stuff''

Anyway, chances are they'll grow to hate it if you force it upon them.
The best you can do is frequent exposure. It sounds incredibly dickish to actually force them to listen to anything, if you're that bothered just play your music in the background.
Yes. Yngwie Malmsteen, Dream Theater and Steve Vai. And they gotta support Sunderland FC.

Otherwise I'll disown them. Or kill them.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Depends on the kid. I always did the exact opposite of what I was told bordering on "oppositional disorder."

It also depends on the age.

I wouldn't dicate music, but if they decided they liked the NY Yankees, they'd be sleeping in the garage.

Go Redsox!!
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I would play old genesis, film scores and porcupine tree. They would never hear a radio or see tmf. so there is no way for them to hear shit music.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I will give them freedom to listen to what they want but I will most likely try and bring them up with my favourite bands.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I would never tell my children "You can't listen to that" unless they were still really young and they were trying to listen to something with a lot of profanity. I would definitely make it a shared experience though, like "Hey, I want to listen to this with me."
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

lol the good stuff.
I like how the word "dictate" occurred in the OP.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Just like you buy a few books to fit the shelves, get him or her a couple of good cds in their stack. Maybe they will check it out someday on their own.
Well I'd turn my music up in the car, and then take them on long car rides.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Yeah, if you force them to listen to whatever you like, they're going to end up hating the music and resenting you for being a controlling prick.

Just put the music on in the background or put the radio on when you drive with them. But in the end, don't be mad when they have a gangster rap or nu metal phase.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Yeah, if you force them to listen to whatever you like, they're going to end up hating the music and resenting you for being a controlling prick.

Just put the music on in the background or put the radio on when you drive with them. But in the end, don't be mad when they have a gangster rap or nu metal phase.

I'd be proud of them for the nu metal.
When my mom used to ask to listen to my music i'd always play the one ballad on the death metal album.

Like Lucifer's Magic from Wasp, Maiden's Children of the Damned, or something. I remember her saying that the Wasp song was, "Nice, dear," not even realizing he was singing "taste the love of lucifers magic it makes you high."
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I remember when I was like 12-13, my mum would drive me to school and I'd listen to Linkin Parks Minutes to Midnight and she'd hate it because of Mike Shinonda's swearing and Chester's screaming moments XD.

She seems to like some Nirvana though, however she doesn't like Pearl Jam >_<
My little sister is 10 years younger than myself. She was brought up on a healthy diet of The Beatles and The Smiths. She used to always ask if we could play them in the car.

Then one day she turned to me and asked her to burn her a Kesha CD. It broke my heart but, of course, I obliged; I'm no musical dictator!

As for myself, I was brought up on The Beatles, Bowie, Lloyd Cole, Dylan and Dire Straits. Still listen to them all religiously till this day.
"good stuff" is subjective.
so this thread is ******ed.
plus you mentioned "Linkin Park"..... so that was a thing.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Yes. Yngwie Malmsteen, Dream Theater and Steve Vai. And they gotta support Sunderland FC.

Otherwise I'll disown them. Or kill them.

BUT...Yngwie is bad at songwriting...

OT:
Until they turn about 13 and start caring about what music they hear, there's nothing wrong with playing your stuff in the background. That said, I really don't feel like it'd be appropriate for me to play Death Metal when my future 4 year old child is around.
Quote by Masquirina
Well if it includes nin/tool, just skip "Closer" and "Hooker with a Penis" until they're in the 11-12 area like my mom, and disregard the fact that they already know these and more by that point. No, you shouldn't lock them in a room with nothing but king crimson for eight hours a day. If you do this, they will curl into the fetal position and start shaking every time a saxophone is heard. Good luck with your subtle influence and mind games.

Your posts are really nonsensical...
Try to expose them to what you consider to be good, encourage their interest, talk about what you like and why, and hope for the best.

Musical preference is one of the first areas in which generational differences are clearly visibile; so, inherently the cards are stacked against you a bit. But, if you invest time and effort and also communicate, they'll likely, at least, learn to appreciate some of the music you like.

Another thing you can do is take them to live performances. This has a potential to profoundly affect their musical interest.
listen to their music instead.

subtext: you listen to shit music, and even little kids who aren't even born yet know it.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I don't think it'd be abusive or anything (depending on how you force it though), but I do think it's stupid.
That's a tough one. If my kids thought that my favourite bands at the moment were crap, i would be kind of hurt, but i wouldn't force it upon them.

My parents don't really mind what i listen to, as long as it isn't really intense music, or turned up too loud, but i am into a lot of the bands they like as well, and like quite a bit of the music i like, to an extent, so i don't have much in the way of experience of having parents who don't share my taste in music.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Expose your kid to a wide range to genres and let her make up her own mind. That's what I plan to do with my daughter when she gets older and starts understanding what music is.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
I think my children will be exposed to the music I listen to...once they are school age, they'll discover new music...I won't stop them from listening to what they want as long as the lyrics aren't f bombs every other word.
Coming from a 14 year old who is under scrutiny for the music he listens to:

Only until they're 13. Until then, I'll keep up with what they listen to and make sure nothing too bad gets in there.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.