hey everyone , i was learning the major & minor scale's and trying to learn the intervals
and have a couple questions .

1. when all of you learned your scales did you number them as in 1-7 for each note
and learn the note names of the fretboard ? and after you did do you still use it
or did you end up preferring (or using ) one over the other like numbers (intervals)
instead of letters (note names) or vice versa .

2. when you start on a min scale say the ( A minor of C )do you say the key note
is 1 or do you say its 6 . It seems easier just to say it is the 6 of the MAJ key .

thx for the advice .
You're missing the most important part of all.

Listening.

Before you worry about note names, positions and frets you need to familiarise yourself with the sound of the scale, the notes it contains ans the intervals. The whole point of learning scales and intervals is that you're learning how to describe certain sounds - if you don't know those sounds then it all kind of falls apart and doesn't really help you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes, you should learn how the scale (or interval) sounds. That way, you'll notice when you hit a wrong note (but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't go out of the scale!) and you'll probably notice if a song is based on a minor, major, or harmonic minor or whatever scale it is.

And for the 2nd question, if you're just learning scales now I wouldn't budge into the modes territory. I prefer naming the scale I play with its root note, and not by its relation to some other scale (so I wouldn't say 6th mode of C major or A aeolian or something, I'd go with A minor). Id only go into modal stuff if I'm actually changing the modes during a song.
ESP Horizon NT-II (Seymour Duncan) + Marshall JVM410C =

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
Last edited by Hrvat at Mar 30, 2013,
If you're just learning, use actual note names so you learn your way around the fretboard. Once you know where all your notes on the fretboard are, use Solfege to get the sound of each scale degree drilled into your head.