So I'm about to clean my electric guitar and change my strings. The oils on the finish and wood on my rosewood fretboard needs to be replenished so I'm going to slap some lemon oil on there. But I heard that I need to cover my frets with some tape so the lemon oil wont damage the frets. The thing is that the tape still covers some of the wood that needs oil on it. I've tried to make the strips of tape thinner but its turned out to be a tedious job so far.

Is it possible that I just clean without the tape so I can get all the wood? Or is there any better way of covering the frets? I may be able to do it without the tape, but I'll just have to be more careful. But if it means I can get all the wood in between the frets then I'm willing.

This is also my first time applying lemon oil on my fretboard, but my second time changing the strings.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
I normally juts put a dab here and there between the frets and then clean with a cotton swab or Q-tip. No need to cover the frets, like previously stated.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks for clearing that up guys. Sometimes you hear a lot of different things from people and it makes you unsure.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
Whoever told you to tape off the frets is an idiot or they're f'ing with you.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
While on the topic, when cleaning your body never rub because the dust is a mix of metal particles and rubbing that will scratch your finish
Are you using product for guitar? Store bought lemon oil is not good for unfinished wood.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ True. You shoudl also not be applying the oil directly to the fretboard in the first place. Apply it to a cloth and then (softly) rub it in where it is needed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm using Dunlop 65 Lemon oil for my guitar. I've also been told before not to put it directly on the fretboard.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
Quote by Trizek
I'm using Dunlop 65 Lemon oil for my guitar. I've also been told before not to put it directly on the fretboard.

If it has the applicator on it, then you should use that.
I simply wet a cloth with naptha, wipe the fretboard clean, then wet a cloth with mineral oil and coat the fretboard. There isn't much of a science to it. Just use enough lemon oil as is necessary to do the job and be done with it.
Quote by W4RP1G
I simply wet a cloth with naptha, wipe the fretboard clean, then wet a cloth with mineral oil and coat the fretboard. There isn't much of a science to it. Just use enough lemon oil as is necessary to do the job and be done with it.

I try not to think of it as a science but it gets confusing when every musician brand is coming out with its' own perfect oil or cleaning product for guitar. I use Maguire's auto polishing wax for my guitar and haven't looked back.
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
I've been using regular lemon oil for the last couple years and things seem fine so far...

Smoking cigarettes doesn't have any noticeable effects for a long time. It's the long haul where it matters.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by W4RP1G
If it has the applicator on it, then you should use that.

I'm guessing the applicator would be the cotton fabric covering the top after removing the cap? If so then I guess I'm set.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
Quote by Trizek
I'm guessing the applicator would be the cotton fabric covering the top after removing the cap? If so then I guess I'm set.

Yep. Wipe on, let sit for 10-15 minutes, wipe off. If the board soaks it up quick it may need another application, repeat. I've never had a problem using "too much" as whatever the wood doesn't absorb you just wipe off. It's usually a good preventative mx measure to clean/treat it every few string changes. Like checking your engine oil and tire pressure every couple visits to the gas station.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
I try not to think of it as a science but it gets confusing when every musician brand is coming out with its' own perfect oil or cleaning product for guitar. I use Maguire's auto polishing wax for my guitar and haven't looked back.

I concur...I usually grab my detail spray for wiping down the guitar bodies and other painted surfaces. Interior/vynil cleaner for amps/cabs. Come to think of it, there's a lot of crossover application for good quality car finish products...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Thanks for all the help guys. It's good to get some simple answers out of all of this.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
Beause the internet is confusing me, I'll ask here for a layman's explanation of why regular lemon oil isn't a good idea, when on any other wood items it's just fine to use.

Quote by dkunick
I concur...I usually grab my detail spray for wiping down the guitar bodies and other painted surfaces. Interior/vynil cleaner for amps/cabs. Come to think of it, there's a lot of crossover application for good quality car finish products...

There really is. When I first got my current electric, I spent a good hour + ~$40 on cleaning supplies. Chamoise leather rag, Magwire's wax/polish, and a few other accoutrements.
Regular wood items (furniture, etc) are coated or sealed. Rosewood & ebony fretboards are not sealed or coated.

With furniture, you're mostly just wiping them down. On fretboards, the cleaner you use actually seeps into the grain.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X