Page 1 of 2
Following my parenting musical dictatorship question earlier, it had me thinking about this.

Will you get your kids to play an instrument?

I know to some extend most of us here would encourage it, but how far would you go?
What do you mean "get them" to?

If they want, they will. If they dont, they wont.

Why would I force them to?
I wouldn't force them to or even make them practice each day. I'll find my own ways to encourage interest in it.

To be honest, I would be amazed if my dad could shred a Robert Marcello solo like I can, it would've made me pick up the guitar a lot earlier. If my kids don't want to do it, that's their deal, but I figure that my own abilities to play a plethora of instruments may be enough to spark an interest in one of them.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by MakinLattes
What's with you and forcing children to do things?

Im only asking the question about what others would do...
Yes. I will forcefully push them as far as is necessary for them to realise my dream.
I wouldn't force my kid to play an instrument, but I would most certainly make them available.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If it's a boy, not really. Maybe introduce them to it,let them hang around music stores to see if they develop any interests.
If it's a girl, I'd force-feed guitar from age 11 to age 16. After that she's free to do whatever; so that way even she turns out to be one of those mindless,submissive attention *****s who thinks that looking pretty is everything ,she'll still have ONE skill which could potentially open doors for her intellectually and emotional.

Then again,Im not gonna have kids .
i want my kid to play an instrument, i'll probably try to influence them to at least a little bit. otherwise they'll be their mother's problem
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by Masquirina
Don't let them out of the cage until you hear some Page/Waters-caliber riffs happening.

On the other hand, Tiger Mom wouldn't let her kids touch a guitar/drums with a naginata.

These two extremes are your only options, so choose wisely because the one attached to a naginata is too much heavy for swift blows, crouching tiger mother.

wat
I'd just encourage it, and buy what they need/want within reason
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I would encourage them to play one

Actually, my mom pretty much forced to take piano lessons when I was little and I tried to quit for a year or two.

Soooooooo glad she didn't let me.

Kids are stupid and don't know what they want.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Absolutely. My kid better play some Chopin/Vai/Coltrane/Wooten/Peart by the age of 4.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
all of their "toys" will be musical insturmetns theyll have no choice but think music with fun

becasue if i have kids ill most likely have given up on my dreams as a musicians and ill have to live throught them

but seiriously theyll have some basic training in music at least piano
how i wish my parents gave me some sort of music as a kid
I bought my daughter a telecaster last weekend. I'll play it until she wants to learn and then it's hers. I intend to teach her to embrace we creative side, but I won't care if she is any good at it.

But really, if you want to encourage a kid to play, give them a synth to play with. Kids love those.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 30, 2013,
I'd follow Pizzarelli route and put a guitar on every damn chair-if you wanna sit down play yer guitar, son.
Last edited by SISO at Mar 30, 2013,
I feel bad for the kids that get born to the members of The Pit. Forced to listen to shitty metal music their entire lives. Shit is inhumane.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
I feel bad for the kids that get born to the members of The Pit. Forced to listen to shitty metal music their entire lives. Shit is inhumane.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

You can't force a child to be into something that they aren't interested in. If it's something that my daughter shows an interest in, then you're damn right I'll encourage it, but I won't push the issue.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by WCPhils
I would encourage them to play one

Actually, my mom pretty much forced to take piano lessons when I was little and I tried to quit for a year or two.

Soooooooo glad she didn't let me.

Kids are stupid and don't know what they want.

So much truth in this. I started playing at 8, wanted to quit a few times but my dad kept me at it. Now I'm practically Steve Vai
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I will definitely introduce them to instruments and try to get them excited about them. However, if it is not their thing...I won't force it. It's their choice.
Quote by Wolfinator-x

You can imagine that, though, can't you?

Pit Guy: It is nothing but dream theater for you, son!

Kid: Poopy!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I would encourage it the best I could, but if they're not into it there's nothing I can do.

Except send them to the orphanage and try again.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Oh yah, totes. I also plan on blinding them and, if they aren't already, changing their skin color to black in hopes of them sounding like Stevie Wonder.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Wiegenlied
So much truth in this. I started playing at 8, wanted to quit a few times but my dad kept me at it. Now I'm practically Steve Vai
I played piano from 5 to 10.

My parents gave up, and now I suck.

Of course theyll learn an instrument.

The instrument.... of pain.

And maybe the flute.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Nero Galon
Following my parenting musical dictatorship question earlier, it had me thinking about this.

Will you get your kids to play an instrument?

I know to some extend most of us here would encourage it, but how far would you go?

'If they want.'
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
I'd encourage any form of creativity really, if they wrote short stories I'd buy them books, if they made short films I'd buy them dvds, if they painted I'd but them supplies and so on...

I think kids who are creative tend to be smarter/better behaved but then again I don't plan on having kids.
If I ever have kids, I'll leave a few cool instruments around the house, and if they decide to try it out, that's great.

That's how I started, anyway.
If they can't write a piano sonata by the age of 10, I'm gonna disown them.

I think that's reasonable, right?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^Depends if they're full or only half Asian
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
By the time Xiaoxi's kids are 10 they'll be 11
Quote by Trowzaa