Page 1 of 2
Now, I have been thinking about this. Killing a person is obviously not something that is to be taken lightly, nor is it something that a human being is going to experience in their lifetime (for the most part).

Removing socio/psychopaths from this (as they do not represent the average human being, which can fell empathy) do you think killing someone would be different depending on the situation? Like, killing someone for self defense vs. revenge or killing someone to get something, or killing someone in combat?

The reason I am asking, is because last night, I was hanging with a couple friends. A friend of a friends' brothers is a marine, and veteran of the war in Afghanistan and a pretty chill guy to boot. Well, while we were sharing drinks and the ganja (I don't smoke or drink but the other guys were) someone asked him if he killed anyone while out there, to which he mumbled something that I didn't understand and the topic was just sort of dropped. But it got me thinking about this. I am sure that the guy has killed someone while out there, but his reaction is what got me thinking. I always imagined that killing someone in combat would be different than killing someone for revenge or for w.e. But he made me think otherwise.
There was some study done that showed that soldiers will subconsciously try to miss their targets when shooting.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
it'd be sexy
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by StewieSwan
There was some study done that showed that soldiers will subconsciously try to miss their targets when shooting.

That explains every action movie ever.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by StewieSwan

So I guess the Stormtroopers' blasters really were that accurate...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'd feel shitty for killing someone in combat. If I killed someone for revenge I'm sure I'd feel good about it (not that I'd ever murder anyone, but if I wanted to, I'd want to feel good about it afterwards). If I killed someone to defend a loved one, I'd be very happy that I managed to spare my loved one. I'd probably still be traumatized however.

If I killed someone by accident I'd feel terrible and it would probably haunt me forever. Come to think of it, same could be said about the combat, but at least I'd have a reason.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Quote by supersac
id only ever kill for self defense or in protection of a loved one and at that point i could care less about the person im killing

lol how do you know? What makes you think you woudn't wake up every morning thinking about that person you killed? His/her family, things he/she would've done? etc etc...

Don't think anyone could be careless after ending someone's life...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Honestly, there's some horrible part of me that would kinda like to find out. I hope this does not become a problem in the future.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I'd feel shitty for killing someone in combat. If I killed someone for revenge I'm sure I'd feel good about it (not that I'd ever murder anyone, but if I wanted to, I'd want to feel good about it afterwards). If I killed someone to defend a loved one, I'd be very happy that I managed to spare my loved one. I'd probably still be traumatized however.

If I killed someone by accident I'd feel terrible and it would probably haunt me forever. Come to think of it, same could be said about the combat, but at least I'd have a reason.

Yea, all of this.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Awful and scarring
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Do any of you remember the first time you cheated on a test?

I remember my first time

I felt horribly guilty afterward. Like my heart was failing.
When I got the results though, and nobody noticed, I started to feel better about it.
Eventually cheating tests didn't really feel like such a big deal anymore.

I'm sure killing is the same. Just on a larger scale.

It's a horrible thing to do. But if it's anything like other horrible things that anyone does, it only stays horrible until you get used to it. Sure you'll regret it, but after a while the guilt will fade a bit, and it won't be as scary anymore.

I'm positive soldiers at war go through this very process. What differs us from them?
You're killing someone, man. You never forget that. Talk to any war vets. They'll either not want to talk about it, or they'll straight out tell you that it haunts you for the rest of your life.

Now, granted, after awhile, you do get desensitized to it, but that doesn't make it any less horrible. It's just that your brain goes, "Oh, I've done this before. No big deal."
Quote by shelovemyguitar
lol how do you know? What makes you think you woudn't wake up every morning thinking about that person you killed? His/her family, things he/she would've done? etc etc...

Don't think anyone could be careless after ending someone's life...

again id only do it in self defene
ive been jumped at night by gang members mugged at gun point on my way to work
and once they tried to steal my guitar ( i do not live in a particularly good part of town)
if any of them happened to die when i was defending myself i would not regret it

edit i just realised how ****ed up that sounds...
Last edited by supersac at Mar 30, 2013,
Quote by Cheesepuff
Do any of you remember the first time you cheated on a test?

I'm sure killing is the same.

It's more like coming out really.

It's like, you just obsess about it, like you're just dying to (no pun intende) do it.

You decide who your first is going to be, most likely somebody that you know well enough to know that they won't judge you for it. This is who you are; this is what you have to do.

You go through it over and over in your mind. Every step, every detail, every variable... You get them alone and them...

That's it. You're past the point of no return.

Chances are that it will not go as according to plan the first time no matter how "prepared" you think you are. Nobody is ever truly prepared for their first time.

After that... you've got this feeling... A great weight has been lifted, but at the same time you feel look you're going to be sick. You know that the deed is done and that there is no turning back.

But still, the urge lingers. Once is simply not enough...

Days go by, weeks even. But you know what you must do...

Rinse. Repeat.

The second time things go a bit more smoothly. All the positive things (both actions and feelings) are all increased and far better than the first time while the negatives are diminished. You don't feel as bad afterwards.

But still, the urge lingers. Twice is simply not enough...

As you go on, you begin to make a habit of it. You can do it more frequently and with less emotional stress. It goes a lot smoother each time, though sometimes it still doesn't go as smoothly as you would like.

Eventually, it goes from being a huge deal to almost nothing at all. You can do it multiple times in a day. You begin to get more creative in how you go about it. You can get two people at once, and then three, and then four, and so on...

Eventually you feel no negative emotions and only joy and excitement...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're killing someone, man. You never forget that. Talk to any war vets. They'll either not want to talk about it, or they'll straight out tell you that it haunts you for the rest of your life.

Or they'll scream 'I did it once, and I'd do it again if I had to'

True story.

Quote by shelovemyguitar
don't think anyone could be careless after ending someone's life...

Quite a few people are.

Quote by theogonia777
wall of text

Boner alert.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Mar 30, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
So I guess the Stormtroopers' blasters really were that accurate...

I guess the Stormtroopers really knew these were the robots they were looking for. Yet they didn't take them in an basically saved the galaxy. Those two were the true heroes of the saga.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by chookiecookie
Or they'll scream 'I did it once, and I'd do it again if I had to'

True story.

Yeah, but you're talking about the war vets who have turned full socio/psychopath and have to see a psychiatrist every week. I'm talking about the vets who suffer from PTSD for a few years and then can function normally.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah, but you're talking about the war vets who have turned full socio/psychopath and have to see a psychiatrist every week. I'm talking about the vets who suffer from PTSD for a few years and then can function normally.

You're assuming that all veterans are ashamed of what they done. That they're not proud to have served their country and protected the people they fought with and cared for.

You don't have to be crazy to not regret your actions to take a life, especially after saving one in the process.
ayy lmao
Killing in a b/s war situation like Iraq would haunt me endlessly.

Killing someone personally who deserved to die i could do. Im a bit more aggressive than most though probably.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 30, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
Wall of ****ed up shit

o_O

Quote by chookiecookie
Quite a few people are.

Just cause they act all tough doesn't mean they aren't affected by it.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
I feel like I'm the opposite of some of you guys here. I feel like I could easily kill in war, knowing that the enemy that I am killing is not only trying to hurt me, but also stands against my people and the brother that stands next to me. I could allow myself to be a tool for the purpose of serving my people. I could never kill only for myself. That would destroy me internally.
Quote by macashmack
I feel like I'm the opposite of some of you guys here. I feel like I could easily kill in war, knowing that the enemy that I am killing is not only trying to hurt me, but also stands against my people and the brother that stands next to me. I could allow myself to be a tool for the purpose of serving my people. I could never kill only for myself. That would destroy me internally.

Killing is only wrong because society has taught you that it is.

I concur with the rest of your post though.
ayy lmao
Quote by macashmack

In many wars throughout history though, the people killing each other have never met and have no personal problem with each other outside of the fact that they're on opposing sides. They likely would have lived their whole lives without even meeting the other person or inconveniencing the other at all.
a big burden to carry forever and ever... guilt... even though it was self defense...or in combat....personally i'd never be the same again...
I imagine it's different from person to person. Some can live with it. Others probably go insane. And there's also the ones that eat babies. Those guys are pretty radical. Not really.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by StewieSwan

You're incorrect. It was only in regards to certain soldiers, and it depended on a lot of factors, mainly their training. The instinct not to kill could be trained out of them.

It's talked about extensively in the book On Killing
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
You're incorrect. It was only in regards to certain soldiers, and it depended on a lot of factors, mainly their training. The instinct not to kill could be trained out of them.

It's talked about extensively in the book On Killing

You are a soldier, correct? Is it rude to ask a soldier what it is like to kill a man in combat? Was the guy in the wrong last night for asking the marine that question?
Quote by macashmack
You are a soldier, correct? Is it rude to ask a soldier what it is like to kill a man in combat? Was the guy in the wrong last night for asking the marine that question?

Unrelated, but I sent you a PM like a week ago and you never read it.
Quote by Dreadnought
Generally yes, it's in bad taste

Oh. Even if it's a friend?

Quote by theogonia777
Unrelated, but I sent you a PM like a week ago and you never read it.

Really? Im sorry. How do I check private messages?
Quote by macashmack
Oh. Even if it's a friend?

That depends on the relationship dynamic of the friends.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Mar 30, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
Really? Im sorry. How do I check private messages?

Up next to the UG banner, click "My Profile" and it will have a list of stuff.
Quote by Dreadnought
The depends on the relationship dynamic of the friends.

Ok
Quote by theogonia777
Up next to the UG banner, click "My Profile" and it will have a list of stuff.

I got it
Page 1 of 2