Today I tried a guitar loaded with a Fernandes Sustainer pickup and I swear it could have held a note all day. Awesome. What pedal would give me the same effect as that pickup? It's not just a good compressor because I already have a good one but it won't do anything anything like that pickup would. Any suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I don't believe you can get a pedal to do it. If you don't won't to use the pickup a ebow is pretty much a handheld sustainer. If you do go for the pickup route (which i recommend), i would go for the sustainiac rather than the fernandes sustainer.
EHX Freeze Pedal or Superego.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Try the Boss Feedbacker Booster

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The sustainer physically moves the string for you, so the same effect can't be achieved by a pedal. There are a few which create false harmonics around your singal, Boss and Behringer make pretty good ones, but they sound quite fake to me.
i dont think ive playeda pedal that could do the sae thing
the ehx freeze pedal lets you hold a note but thats it

so if you want that effect an ebow or a sustainer ive only used the sustainiac and it was nice
the fernendez one ive no opinions about
Can you get a sustainer pickup that is single coil size? I was going to change my Jackson because it's HSS and I prefer humbuckers but I may think again if I could replace the neck single coil with some sort of sustainer, assuming of course it has great tone as well as being able to sustain. I normally use Bare Knuckle
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
they come in single coils sizes as well

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer-kits.html

im not sure how they compare as a pickup though i dont think i ever played with it
Anyone know what these things are like just as a pickup? Anything it is comparable to in terms of tone etc. ?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
If you press your guitar body against the amp it works almost the same
Big amp and a heap of speakers - that's the proper way to do it. I often use a 100W 2x12 JCM900 combo as my sustain "pedal."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Big amp and a heap of speakers - that's the proper way to do it. I often use a 100W 2x12 JCM900 combo as my sustain "pedal."

i like the way you think

my" sustain pedal" is a tubescreamer clone i made just cranked so whenever it comes on instant feedback
Quote by Doadman
Can you get a sustainer pickup that is single coil size? I was going to change my Jackson because it's HSS and I prefer humbuckers but I may think again if I could replace the neck single coil with some sort of sustainer, assuming of course it has great tone as well as being able to sustain. I normally use Bare Knuckle

I would go with the sustainiac single coil. It has quite a good tone and certainly a better tone than the fernandes. I have nothing against them, but it's a widely agreed opinion.
AFAIK they are also quite a bit cheaper, you can order from there website. It's design looks pretty poor, but there is no middle man, meaning you get it cheaper.

http://www.sustainiac.com/
Quote by Doadman
Anyone know what these things are like just as a pickup? Anything it is comparable to in terms of tone etc. ?
They just sound like generic overwound ceramic humbuckers. Not very clear and not really of much use for anything. I love the idea of the various sustainer systems but the fact that you are essentially losing your neck pickup renders them useless, to me.

And yes, there is absolutely nothing outside of a guitar that can do the same job. A big tool like endlessly sustained notes comes at a big price.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
They just sound like generic overwound ceramic humbuckers. Not very clear and not really of much use for anything. I love the idea of the various sustainer systems but the fact that you are essentially losing your neck pickup renders them useless, to me.

And yes, there is absolutely nothing outside of a guitar that can do the same job. A big tool like endlessly sustained notes comes at a big price.

There is actually, the E Bow does it, though you have to hold that, and there's also one that clips onto your mic stand which does the job, though I can't remember the name. So there are substitutes out there.