I am playing song "Coffee Pot" by JJ Johnson with my jazz band. I love the song but don't know what scales to use for certain parts. The main key of the song is F major. I can play in that for a while and it sounds fine. When the progression switches to Bmflat5 E7b9 Am7 D7b9 Gm7 C7b9 Fmaj7 Fmaj7 Emflat5 Am7 Dm7 Dm7 G7 G7 C7 C7, I get lost. This is the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUXMw7L8FkI&feature=youtube_gdata_player . The change is at 0:15. Help me out!
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
Scales don't apply.

You need to break these down into keys:

B-7b5 E7b9 A-7 <- key of A minor
A-7 D7b9 G-7 <- G minor
G-7 C7b9 Fmaj <- F major
E-7b5 A-7 D-7 <- still in F major
D-7 G7 -> suggesting C major, but you land in F major as it hits C7

So how do you mentally break this down?

You basically just have 3 keys that descend down a whole step each. Figure it out from there using your ears and addressing the chord tones/common tone line. Don't worry about scales nonsense.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 30, 2013,
I figured that whole step thing, but I wasn't sure. I guess your signature justifies your answer. Haha. Seriously, thanks a lot though!
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
If we were going to approach this on a chord-scale-theory basis, we'd end up with 14 different scales. How would that help?

The goal is to always break the perception down to the SIMPLEST way possible. Just like the rest of us, the geniuses who solo over these changes on famous records don't have computer brains. They just know how to tunnel through in the most efficient way possible.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
don't worry about scales or you'll get completely ****ed by trying to process 87 thoughts per change

think of it harmonically in key areas and chords
Think about the notes and what they sound like and then make that sound and everyone will think you're a genius and you will be loved by women and loathed by men because you get all them bitchz
The scales are for analysis and rote practice only. When you're dealing with actual music, you need to take a more melodic approach and work around the chord tones.