I really like the high end gibson sg's. but they are all 24 frets! it makes the neck pickup sound too muddy. anybody know someone that makes high end sg type guitars but maybe a little bigger than normal with flame top?

looking for something like this...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Hagstrom_Guitars_Introduces_Pat_Smear_Signature_Model.aspx

whatever that fretboard is made of sounds gross.
most sgs are 22 frets

most 22 fret sgs have the neck pickup where it'd be on a 24 fret guitar so the neck joint is strong enough... so the neck pickup is as unmuddy as it's going to get, unless you get one of those badass guitars with like 27 frets or something.

I can't think of anything offhand that's a little bigger than an sg with a flamed top, but i have a horrible feeling i'm forgetting something really obvious

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
all the flame top sg's are 24 frets except one that is all flame maple. all set with that. and yes i'm aware of the pickup node.
oh ok i see what you mean

that being said, as i said, the 22 fretters have the neck pickup in the same place as the 24 fretters (or near enough, anyway), so I'm not sure how it makes much difference. plus a neck pickup on a 24 fretter will be brighter, not muddier...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^you beat me to it. Yamaha SG/SBG guitars are amazing, but they are harder to find, except for eBay.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by gambit1983
I really like the high end gibson sg's. but they are all 24 frets! it makes the neck pickup sound too muddy. anybody know someone that makes high end sg type guitars but maybe a little bigger than normal with flame top?

looking for something like this...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Hagstrom_Guitars_Introduces_Pat_Smear_Signature_Model.aspx

whatever that fretboard is made of sounds gross.

sorry dude, but that bit in bold is complete bollocks - pretty sure the node myth stems from some of the shite Ed Roman used to spout.

The number of frets has NO BEARING whatsoever on whether or not your neck pickup will be "muddy". There's an anti-node at the centre of a vibrating string, that's the point at which the amplitude of vibration is highest, so theoretically putting a pickup bang at the centre of the string would make it louder, although not necessarily clearer. Except as soon as you fret a note you've moved all the nodes, so the minor differences in the position of the neck pickup really do make sod all difference, unless you only ever play open strings.

Then there's the small issue of guitars not being signal generators - a plucked string doesn't generate a pure note, it's not just the fundamental - there's all the other harmonics that going into giving the instruments notes their unique timbre. And again, all those different harmonics have nodes in different places, that also all move when you fret a note as you're reducing the length of string that's free to vibrate, so again it doesn't really matter. Plus pickups have a magnetic window that's covers a significant chunk of string, for any given note you'll have all sorts of nodes and antinodes going on from the fundamental and various harmonics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Yamaha SG is much more like a Les Paul than an SG apart from the fact that it is a double cut.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by steven seagull

The number of frets has NO BEARING whatsoever on whether or not your neck pickup will be "muddy".

I agree that all that guff about nodes is BS, but the more frets you have (assuming the neck pickup is tight up against the neck, which it isn't on an sg ) the closer the neck pickup is to the bridge, which results in a brighter sound. Whether that's the same as "not muddy", is debatable, i suppose... but it will affect the tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you really want a gibson SG with 24 frets, there's (atleast) two models : The SG 24 and the 50th anniversary SG.
One comes with a full sized humbucker in the neck and the other with a mini-bucker.