Soon I intend to embark on my most challenging guitar related project to date. I'm essentially looking to build a speaker cabinet.

My main question is, does the size of the cabinet itself effect the sound in any way. I'm unsure how far away from the "back" of the cabinet the speaker should be for best results, if that makes sense.

Does it make any real difference at all?

Hoping someone who has done this before might be able to advise.

Thanks all!
"Man, you can shred as much as you f**kin' want, but if you can't make my ass move, then f**k off!" - Dave Grohl.
i do not have very much experience with building cabs, but i would assume it does make a difference.

i would assume the different sizes alter the frequency etc.

its like an oversized mesa cab vs. a regular sized one.
If you are curious as to the sound I would just research a couple well known, well manufactured cabs. Then, check their dimensions, should give you some info.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It certainly does. I don't think it's as much of a big deal as it is with bass speaker cabinets, though. As someone has already mentioned, just look up the dimensions of a similar cab to one you want to build and go from there.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cab design and interior volume will have a definite affect on your tone. Research it well before building...plenty of websites out there to provide the knowledge and formulas you'll need to get started. To borrow from an adage...measure twice, cut once. Once you learn the basics of design and materials look into dampening to counter standing waves, etc.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Mar 30, 2013,
Thanks for all your advice guys.

Wesbanez - Your cab looks amazing! Thanks for the link.

Seeing as it's sooo quiet at work this morning, I've taken to Photoshop to try and mock up my idea.

Obviously, this is not a normal speaker cab. I'm looking to build an Isolation Cab to help me record at obscene decibel levels, without disturbing the neighbours.

The image just shows the part where the speaker will be mounted. The lid, I haven't mocked up yet. On the left is a cross section of the side view, on the right the view from the top.

I based these dimensions off the depth of a Marshall 1960a cabinet (14 inches) and worked from there. Does anyone with a more experienced eye think these measurements would work well

Also, just to let you all know, I'm looking to use a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.
"Man, you can shred as much as you f**kin' want, but if you can't make my ass move, then f**k off!" - Dave Grohl.
Also, just been thinking more about this.

With the measurements above, I think I'm going to have just over half an inch between the speaker at it's widest points, and the inside edge of the cabinet. Is this enough room?
Quote by Xero666
Also, just been thinking more about this.

With the measurements above, I think I'm going to have just over half an inch between the speaker at it's widest points, and the inside edge of the cabinet. Is this enough room?

12" is the nominal diameter of the speaker cone itself. The actual outer diameter of the mounting point for the speaker is usually about an inch larger. Doesn't look as if this will be big enough.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
12" is the nominal diameter of the speaker cone itself. The actual outer diameter of the mounting point for the speaker is usually about an inch larger. Doesn't look as if this will be big enough.

Yeah, thought so. No big deal, just need to adjust the width and depth. The height is fine how it is.

I think I'm going to be picking up the speaker tomorrow. I'll have a better idea what size to go when I have it.
Quote by Xero666
Yeah, thought so. No big deal, just need to adjust the width and depth. The height is fine how it is.

I think I'm going to be picking up the speaker tomorrow. I'll have a better idea what size to go when I have it.

Good idea. If you want to look at a cab that works to see what dimensions are appropriate then have a look at the Randall IsoCab.
EH

The biggest factor in how a cab sounds, besides the speaker specs, is whether you make the cabinet open or closed back.
Guys, he's building an isolation cab...
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Jihad Jesus
The biggest factor in how a cab sounds, besides the speaker specs, is whether you make the cabinet open or closed back.

Yep, due to the nature of the cabinet I'm building, this will be closed back.

Quote by dkunick
Guys, he's building an isolation cab...

I am indeed. I realise I've been working from dimensions for a regular guitar cab, but the only Isolation Cab I can find that resembles what I'm planning is the Randall IsoCab which is HUGE.

I think I've got it sorted now. Going for just over 18inches square and 14 inches between the speaker face and the base of the cabinet. 18 inches seems to be the standard width of 1x12 cabinets so I'll just go with that.

Does anyone have any suggestions weather I should go with MDF or Plywood?