I have the same type of guitar in this video, DR500MCE, but what do I need to do what he is doing at about 2:20 into the video?
(I just realized I cannot post the URL for some reason... But if you YouTube Esonic2 your first choice will be a video by OfficialEpiphone. About 2 minutes and 20 seconds in is the part I am talking about.)

I know I will need 2 guitar cables, but do I need 2 amps or something?

I am very new to acoustic/electric stuff, but would love to figure out how to record like this, 'cuz it sounds amazing!!!
Last edited by Isakale at Mar 30, 2013,
He explains it in the video, he pans one side to the right with treble boosted, pans the other to the left with bass boosted, adds reverb, and chorus. 2 cables required for specifically what he does in the video, for recording i guess you'd be doing the same with whatever recording interface and daw you are using. You'd record 2 tracks either seperate or at the same time, pan one to the left, and one to the right etc. Its also a basic technique used in electric guitar recording aswell...record two different tracks, hard panning 1 to the right, and 1 to the left to give a really big sound.
same as my Epi les paul ultra III. using the nanomag and regular pickups at the same time. i can get an acoustic sound and light distortion at the same time like 2 guitars playing simultaneously. thru my computer to guitar rig.... amazing!
but this is an acoustic thread... my bad.
I guess what I meant was do I need 2 amps or a 2 channel amp, or either? :]
well with a 2 channel amp you could do it now of course it wouldnt be as major as how it was recorded in that video, but it would work and you'd get the effect. If you are wanting to record the effect I'd use a USB interface for recording sense alot of em come standard with 2 channel inputs for instruments etc and when both tracks are recorded just pan each one to one side(1 left, 1 right).
Quote by Isakale
I guess what I meant was do I need 2 amps or a 2 channel amp, or either? :]
you don't need 2 amps to pull this off if you're going to record.

But, for live performance you absolutely do, at least for maximum effect.

Even using a 2 channel amp, it mixes the output into mono, and usually a single speaker. So, no "stereo separation" or directionality. You could get full stereo this by running 2 cables to a PA.

Some guitar amps are actually stereo, I think the Roland chorus is one of them. In that case you would need a separate cabinet for one channel, for a wide field stereo effect.

In any event, I have a stereo hybrid 12 string, and one Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp.

So, I'm planning on waiting until May, when Peavey is supposed to ship a new model Vypyr, called "VIP", and grabbing one of those to pull off the stereo trick.

Both of these amps have at least a dozen amp models available, in clean and dirty channel of each.

Those amps would run $230.00 total for the pair, and would likely make an outrageous setup for the house, and even small solo gigs.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
well with a 2 channel amp you could do it now of course it wouldnt be as major as how it was recorded in that video, but it would work and you'd get the effect. If you are wanting to record the effect I'd use a USB interface for recording sense alot of em come standard with 2 channel inputs for instruments etc and when both tracks are recorded just pan each one to one side(1 left, 1 right).

First off, thank you and Captaincranky so much for all your help! Extremely useful!!!

I do indeed want to buy an amp (or 2!) in the future, but I am more interesting in recording right now. I guess I assumed you needed an amp then an audio-out cable to record or something... I know nothing about amps or recording with electronic instruments!

So to record like this into my Mac's Garageband, all I need is a 2 channel USB interface, then plug the 2 guitar cables into it and I am good to go?
(Other than assigning tracks and stuff. :P )

Do you know of any brands or models to look up to find a product like this? On Amazon, I found this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Downloadable/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1364712682&sr=1-5&keywords=guitar+usb+interface
It looks like it has a left input and a right input. Would it work it I plugged one pickup into the left and the other into the right then plugged the USB into my computer.

I also saw direct guitar cable to USB's on Amazon, but the reviews seemed to say they do not work well, buzz or give delay...

What would you recommend? Plus, thanks so much for your help!!!
Quote by Isakale
So to record like this into my Mac's Garageband, all I need is a 2 channel USB interface, then plug the 2 guitar cables into it and I am good to go?
(Other than assigning tracks and stuff. :P )

Do you know of any brands or models to look up to find a product like this? On Amazon, I found this one...
OK, here's that product on Berhinger's site: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx Notice the inputs are RCA type, so right off the bat, you would need adapters to 1/4" phone for the guitar cables.

Nobody here is going to give you a thumb's up on one of those. I expect you could get up and running with it, but I'd consider it a test hookup, nothing more.

Why don't you digest this thread about interfaces: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771 and then we can talk some more.

Bottom line here is, you're not going to get decent results @ the 30 dollar price point.

This is Berhinger's cheapest designed for guitar link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCG102/ and it's only single channel.

This is the most highly recommended interface: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i4 and sadly, it's about two bills.

PS, don't take my word verbatim here, I understand equipment pretty well, but I'm not into recording. If this is the direction you want to go, you could also start a thread in the "Recording".

Word of caution though, don't start a thread with the 30 dollar Berhinger as a topic, I fear the other children's cruelty and wrath might be visited upon you....
WOW! You guys have been so extremely helpful!!! Thank you so much! Hope your Easters are great with lots of loving family and tasty food!

I will definitely read that thread and think about my options! You have given me much to think about. ^_^

Thanks again!!!!!!!
Hey guys,

So i have an EJ200 and from what I read above, in the other thread, and multiple searches, I guess the "Prodipe studio 22" would be the only compatible usb interface (in a reasonable price range).

Im kinda new to these stuff.

The thing is: its 2 1/4 inch L and R inputs are mono and not stereo (unlike the nanoflex and nanomag outputs and the 1/4 inch cables I bought.
Is it the right thing to get? (Regardless of the quality) Or should I find something with stereo inputs for each?

Thank you
Quote by Nathanba95
Hey guys,

So i have an EJ200 and from what I read above, in the other thread, and multiple searches, I guess the "Prodipe studio 22" would be the only compatible usb interface (in a reasonable price range).

Im kinda new to these stuff.

The thing is: its 2 1/4 inch L and R inputs are mono and not stereo (unlike the nanoflex and nanomag outputs and the 1/4 inch cables I bought.
Is it the right thing to get? (Regardless of the quality) Or should I find something with stereo inputs for each?

Thank you
If the guitar already has left and right output jacks, it is stereo.

If you bought stereo cables, (the male ends of a stereo cable look similar to a headphone plug with 2 splits on the shank). The female, or jack, you can't see without taking it apart. What you have to do, is buy a "splitter", or "Y" cable, with two- 1/4"phone plugs (male), to a stereo female. You would reall need, (i think), is to buy 2 of these "Y's", one for each end of the stereo cable, if the audio interface has separate inputs for right and left channels.

Or, you could simply run 2 standard mono guitar cables, to two separate inputs on the interface. (That's the easy way)

"Stereo outputs", are always "mono", in the sense the each is only carrying the signal for one side, or if you prefer, one channel. In analog home audio, these are two cables side by side, in the same jacket. The right channel always a red plug, the left is always right.

Let me know if I didn't succeed in explaining this satisfactorily, and I'll try to dig up some links and/or pictures.

You in turn, have to post links on the audio interface you're going to use.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 4, 2014,