Hey

I set my action to:

Low E - 3/32
High e - 2/32

I've seen a few recommend this as a nice setup for easier playing of legato but the strings dry up when i am playing high up the neck... how do you compensate for this?

Do i need to fiddle with the neck truss? I've seen players like satriani have even lower action than this and his strings rung out for ages.

Any advice ?
They are also playing at pretty high volumes, so sustain isn't really an issue But yes, sounds like you need to adjust your string heights (nut/bridge) and the truss rod.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Action that low has a lot to do with how well the guitar was made in the first place, and then how good the setup on it is. So keep that in mind - not all guitars are created equal. Some just buzz and there's nothing you can do to fix it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Buzz? I can't even get a note from its touching the fret barsso it doesn't ring!

How do i adjust my nut ? I have a Ibanez RG Prestige Galaxy model with the edge zero bridge. I lowered my bridge but i didn't adjust the nut i don't see a way to adjust the height there? I also thing the fret bars are too large which stops the strings vibrating when i lower the height of action.
If your notes won't even ring out, then what's the point? Raise your action. Low action won't help anything if you can't even make notes.

Loosening your truss rod can help around the 3-12 fret.

For the first few frets, all you can really do is shim your nut. I do sympathize here - it seems like most guitars nuts are too low, so you're just bound to get 1st fret buzzing. I don't get it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 30, 2013,
That action is WAY too low.

It should be 4/64 on the low and high E when measured at the 12th fret. (+/- 1/64 depending on your setup)

The truss rod relief should be around .008-.012 thousands of an inch around the 8th fret (while holding down the first and 17th fret)

You can tweak those specs a little bit depending on the specific guitar, but those are the specs that the guitar is built around so you can't get too far away without running into problems.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
That action is WAY too low.

It should be 4/64 on the low and high E when measured at the 12th fret. (+/- 1/64 depending on your setup)

3/32 = 6/64

I generally go for about 5/64-4/64 at the 16th fret, but that won't happen on a guitar with poor fretwork or high frets.
Quote by W4RP1G
3/32 = 6/64

I generally go for about 5/64-4/64 at the 16th fret, but that won't happen on a guitar with poor fretwork or high frets.

How can i correct for that ? Sand the fret bars down ?
Quote by thefollower
How can i correct for that ? Sand the fret bars down ?

Check for high frets using a credit/supermarket card, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0P4U5XYx8

You might be able to hammer the fret down if it's come unseated. If you need a leveling, watch some fret leveiing videos on youtube.
Don't try and hammer frets unless you absolutely know what you are doing, I usually reserve that for refretting jobs, most stock frets, especially I would assume in an Ibanez Prestige are glued in to help sustain, so hammering them would only break the glue, ding the fret, and possibly make it too low.

But yes, I agree that you should be able to get it much much lower. I think that perhaps a re-leveling is in order since they only choke up on the higher frets. There are a million and a half videos on youtube on how to do it correctly, and I'm sure there is some local Luthier around you that would be more than happy to take excellent care of your prized instrument for less than $100 (DO NOT take it to Guitar Center, hopefully I don't need to explain why).

I have several sub $200 guitars that have straight as arrow non-warped necks and after a good leveling and polishing up, I can get the action to around .8mm (1/32") off the fretboard. And my more expensive ESPs after I polish them up and spot check for the slightest inconsistencies I can get to about .38-.4mm off the 12th fret (1/64" abouts).
Quote by Veritech Zero
I would assume in an Ibanez Prestige are glued in to help sustain

I don't think that's the case, or at least not on my RG520(I did a refret). But I could be wrong, they might be doing that now.

But I agree that he shouldn't be beating on the frets. I didn't see that it was a Prestige, I thought it was a cheaper guitar.

Definitely suck it up and take it to a pro.
Quote by W4RP1G
I don't think that's the case, or at least not on my RG520(I did a refret). But I could be wrong, they might be doing that now.

But I agree that he shouldn't be beating on the frets. I didn't see that it was a Prestige, I thought it was a cheaper guitar.

Definitely suck it up and take it to a pro.

+1 if it was a $200 guitar, i would do something myself, but with that guitar (i also have the same model IIRC or similar, 3550MZ) you shouldn't be banging on it yourself.

did you get the guitar new?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/