So I just had my new Les Paul setup recently. I am usually a Strat player and I usually use 10's. I noticed I have to play ultra soft with my Les Paul, otherwise I have fret buzz like a mother. I also get alot of buzz on the open low E. It's really bad near the headstock.

I've never had this problem when I played my Strat. Do LPs with the shorter scale make them more subject to fret buzz when you play with heavier force? For the most part it seems to be inaudible with the amp cranked up, but it drives me nuts hearing it. I asked the tech at the shop to look over the guitar and let me know if it was in good condition since I bought it used at GC. He said it looked like new. It's a LP Studio Premium Plus Maple Top.

I was considering moving up to 11's since I'm used to more tension anyways.
Quote by RockAddict311
So I just had my new Les Paul setup recently. I am usually a Strat player and I usually use 10's. I noticed I have to play ultra soft with my Les Paul, otherwise I have fret buzz like a mother. I also get alot of buzz on the open low E. It's really bad near the headstock.

I've never had this problem when I played my Strat. Do LPs with the shorter scale make them more subject to fret buzz when you play with heavier force? For the most part it seems to be inaudible with the amp cranked up, but it drives me nuts hearing it. I asked the tech at the shop to look over the guitar and let me know if it was in good condition since I bought it used at GC. He said it looked like new. It's a LP Studio Premium Plus Maple Top.

I was considering moving up to 11's since I'm used to more tension anyways.

A shorter scale means less string tension. Mess around with this to figure out the right gauge for you.
Sounds like it just wasn't set up right. There's no reason it should buzz like that.

If you're used to 10s on a strat, you might want to use 11s on the LP for comfort. I'd put those on and give it another try at a proper setup.
Quote by Roc8995
Sounds like it just wasn't set up right. There's no reason it should buzz like that.

If you're used to 10s on a strat, you might want to use 11s on the LP for comfort. I'd put those on and give it another try at a proper setup.

I havn't had a problem at this shop in the past, but it pains me that I paid good money to have a setup and this is occurring. I won't be back in that area for a while either. I'll give the 11's a shot.