http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid20629/cid671/epiphone-les-paul-tribute-plus-in-vintage-sunburst.asp

Was looking around at the lower end gibsons and decided to check out what epis are about and saw these.

On paper they look better than the lower end les Paul's but how do they hold up?

I have 2 les Paul's already and am after another 2 over time. Mainly for gigging purposes. We tune in eb and drop d and want a back up of each. Saves tuning all strings between songs.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Last edited by nightwalker903 at Mar 31, 2013,
Yet another reason why a Gibson Vs Epiphone sticky should be made.

Gibsons are generally better quality guitars than Epiphones. They have better electronics, much better woods, are PLEK'd, generally have better pickups and are crafted by hand far more. The tribute guitars are basically just Epiphone LP Standards with Gibson pickups in them.

If you want a guitar with fancy locking tuners, just buy a used Gibson and put locking tuners on it (even though i believe that depending on the way you restring the guitar, you can make regular tuners work just like locking tuners).
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 31, 2013,
Yeh a sticky would be good.
Noticed my iPad spelt Gibson wrong in title.

Would a low end Gibson like a lpj be better than the higher end epis though?
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid26464/cid671/gibson-les-paul-lpj-electric-guitar-in-white.asp
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Depends on the particular guitar. I'd buy an LPJ if i couldn't have anything else though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yawn.... Not another one of these threads.
What Toodeepblue said. Locking tuners are no better than regular tuners IMO. Also why don't you just buy a new les paul with the min-e tune system and just change the tunings on the one guitar and use the 2 you have currently as back ups. Believe me you can end lugging a hell of a lot of stuff around to gigs without taking extra guitars unecessarily.
Last edited by Delboyuk_01 at Mar 31, 2013,
I want a new les Paul regardless. Both are ebony and tbf it's one of my last fave colours out of the usual colours.

I'm going to upgrade the tuning pegs on my Lps as they aren't good and want new electronics in them and pickups.

I need 2 guitars for gigs either way as tuning all 6 strings during a show would be annoying.

Just seen the min e tune les Paul's, it's also a tribute. Is that like the Gibson version of the epi I first posted?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid26371/cid671/gibson-les-paul-60s-tribute-minetune-in-vintage-sunburst-gloss.asp
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Last edited by nightwalker903 at Mar 31, 2013,
Quote by RiseTheFallen
Lower end gibsons are shit imo. Get an Epi.

Oh god.

Please somebody just make a sticky already.
Well they are shit? Of course you can find good ones but not good enough for the price anyway but yea sticky plox.
Trolls, you gotta love em.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Theres a couple lower end Gibsons now being made in the US and i think the LPJ is one of them so I'd go with that.
Get a capo? Tune down. Capo on, then transpose songs up. Gigging with different tunings at an amateur level is completely impractical.

Edit- just tune the sixth string up and down.
Dude, where's my band?
Last edited by TomMon at Mar 31, 2013,
Most people around here would go ape over a gibbon as opposed to an Epi.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I bought an Epiphone 339 Pro back before Christmas and really like. The fit and finish are excellent as is the sound I get from the pickups. A value at $399 plus tax although I got it on sale and paid only $399 with a very nice Epi hard shell case made for it.

I bought it to use as a practice guitar so as not to ding up my Gibson Les Paul Classic '60RI. Then I found an American Strat on CL for $525 and decided to buy it for practicing although I switch between the three.

The Epi 339 Pro holds its own. I don't think you could go wrong with a higher end Epi as long as you have an opportunity to play it and return if necessary. The first 339 I bought had a defective volume pot so that when I pull it to coil tap the entire pole came out of the pot. It was only a day old. Took it back and got another one, brand new. It was a keeper.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Most people around here would go ape over a gibbon as opposed to an Epi.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

If you can afford a Gibson—even if it's just a Studio or LPJ—then get that oer any Epi. The exception would be if you really need the unique fetaures that Epi sometimes offer that aren't available on basic Gibsons, like Floyds, acoustic systems or 24 frets.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I love the Gibson/Epiphone debate, and hear is the easiest way to say it Gibson and Epiphone are the same company. Epiphone is the low-end Gibson, I wish more people would realize this.

Now I have owned Gibson and Epiphone guitars and both can make a great or horrible guitar. It is up to the individual to pick which guitar best fits their needs/wants and is at a price point they feal is acceptable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an Epi LP std. and I can say it's a solid guitar, only thing one might want to upgrade on that are the pickups, anything else would be just plain stupid.
Last edited by Arunas at Mar 31, 2013,
I'd order a Gibson Studio before I'd order and expensive Epiphone any day of the week. I trust that the Gibson will have less non-repairable issues. The worst thing I've seen that might have to be done to a Studio is a fret job, which isn't a big deal as sloppy construction is to me.
I have both a Gibson Studio and an Epi Tribute Plus. Get the Tribute Plus unless gloss paint really bothers you. Just as good these days as the Gibson Studios IMO and you actually get a hardshell case with it instead of a gig bag.
On average, at any given price, the Gibson will be the better guitar than the Epiphone.

But while brand matters, you should judge each guitar on its own merits. There are pros out there who use Epiphones who could clearly own Gibsons if they so chose. (Ditto guys who use Squiers over Fenders, LTDsover ESPs, etc.)

And they do it because the is something about those guitars they prefer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by W4RP1G
The worst thing I've seen that might have to be done to a Studio is a fret job, which isn't a big deal as sloppy construction is to me.
Lazy fret and nut work used to be my biggest complaint with Gibsons of that level, but now they all get the same PLEK treatment so it's irrelevant. There definitely used to be risks to buying a Studio or Special but these days every one I see is identical to the Standards, cosmetics aside.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
But while brand matters, you should judge each guitar on its own merits. There are pros out there who use Epiphones who could clearly own Gibsons if they so chose. (Ditto guys who use Squiers over Fenders, LTDsover ESPs, etc.)

And they do it because the is something about those guitars they prefer.

Couldn't have been said any better. While it is nice to get opinions of others, the most important thing is to get out there and try the guitars for yourself. Pick one that feels comfortable to you.

When I bought my first guitar, I had my eyes set on a B.C. Rich Warlock *Shudder* cause I was young and thought it looked cool. I ended up walking out with a Squire Strat as my first.