I've seen a lot of guitar players with mics in front if their cabs live and I was wondering why do they do this and where does the sound from the mic'ing go?
The PA.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The goal of the guitar amp is to sound good and allow you to hear it on stage. Front of house is the PA's job. You want the sound guy to be able to adjust the levels of everything for the best mix across the venue. He can't do that unless they are going through the PA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The mic goes to either a PA or recording interface.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I can't really believe someone has to ask this but yeah, it's to get a consistent sound for all instruments in a gig situation.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
So do all instruments go to the PA at a live gig or would they have a separate PA system for each one?
The purpose of the amp is to sound good, the purpose of the PA is to sound loud. So you mic up the amp to make it louder and it also provides a monitor. Which is a speaker you have on stage so you can hear yourself play. Which is surprisingly difficult when you have a crowd in front of you and a drummer behind you
I was thinking about getting a PA set which includes two speakers, two cables and a mic. I was wondering if you could plug the mic straight into the PA, or would you need a mixer to control the sound?
Yes you will need a mixer and a power-amp to power the speakers(unless the speakers are powered speakers)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's the signal flow. Guitar > Guitar Amp > Mic> Cable > Mixer > PA Amp (Or not, if the speakers are powered) > Speakers.
What's the purpose of this?

I mean, most venues have their own sound system, so you only need to bring your amp,guitar, or whatever, and they mic it up and do the front of house sound for you. There are places (I notice it mainly with restaurants) that don't have a sound system, and that's about the only case you'd need to have your own PA.

A good PA setup is always good to have if you're a musician though, but once other people find out you have one, they'll be down your neck a lot asking to borrow it (this happens to my band a lot. Can be a good or a bad thing).
Hey what now? I think every serious muso should own a PA. There are lots of places you might play that don't have a PA. Hell, I've played a gig in a shearing shed (quite a good gig actually). People will often hire a space for a function purely based on its size that doesn't have a PA. I would say that I've played more gigs where they didn't have a house system than did and I've played gigs where the house system was shit so we simply set up our own and didn't use theirs. Owning certainly beats hiring.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hey what now? I think every serious muso should own a PA. There are lots of places you might play that don't have a PA. Hell, I've played a gig in a shearing shed (quite a good gig actually). People will often hire a space for a function purely based on its size that doesn't have a PA. I would say that I've played more gigs where they didn't have a house system than did and I've played gigs where the house system was shit so we simply set up our own and didn't use theirs. Owning certainly beats hiring.

Quote by chip46
A good PA setup is always good to have if you're a musician though, but once other people find out you have one, they'll be down your neck a lot asking to borrow it (this happens to my band a lot. Can be a good or a bad thing).
Quote by chip46
What's the purpose of this?

I mean, most venues have their own sound system, so you only need to bring your amp,guitar, or whatever, and they mic it up and do the front of house sound for you. There are places (I notice it mainly with restaurants) that don't have a sound system, and that's about the only case you'd need to have your own PA.

for venues you really need dont need a pa.

but for things like birthday parties and such you really need a pa.

i own the fender passport and it works wonderfully for occasions when i need it (though few)
Alright, last question. Is an active PA a better choice, considering its already powered without the need of a power amp?
Quote by randywolf244
for venues you really need dont need a pa.

but for things like birthday parties and such you really need a pa.

i own the fender passport and it works wonderfully for occasions when i need it (though few)

Most venues don't supply the PA, and like Cath alreay said alot of the time a house PA is junk. If you are a giging musician, you should always have a PA even if it is a smaller one

So you would rather have a PA because of B-days and not because you would need one at a club/bar? Do you dress up like a clown?

The Fender passport is a joke of a PA (portable, but a joke), I live by the rule of nothing smaller than 1x12 mains
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by _Le0n_
Alright, last question. Is an active PA a better choice, considering its already powered without the need of a power amp?

Getting either active/powered speakers or a powered mixer is the easier/simpler way to do your own PA. But it is not the only way to do it, just the easiest for set-up/transport
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's a lot to be said for running your amp as close as possible to the speakers. Powered bins mean that you don't have to use as heavy cabling, which saves some money. But on the other hand, you can make heavy speaker cables out of mains extension cable which is damn cheap too.
Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100