Banjo? Sitar? Any guitarists have experience with these instruments?

I am one of those weirdos who loves the sound of the banjo and of the sitar. I want to ask guitarists who have picked up either of these instruments or both about how easy or hard it was to transfer your skills over. How much spillover was there, in other words.

I also love the oud as well.
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?
I just started playing the banjo at christmas as I also love the sound. It's pretty easy if you're used to fingerpicking your acoustic, the only real barrier when you're starting is remembering that the string that should be the lowest note is actually the highest, so you're thumb is responsible for both the lowest and highest notes but it's no bigy really, have fun!
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
its a fretted string instrument, its the exact same i mean what could the difference even be other than learning a new tuning?

sitars are only more difficult in so far as the frets can be moved.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I'm a banjo picker, as well as theogonia777 and banjocal. There's an official banjo thread in the acoustic forum. Go there.
Quote by JustRooster
I'm a banjo picker, as well as theogonia777 and banjocal. There's an official banjo thread in the acoustic forum. Go there.

Oh how that doesn't surprise me.
what's so "weirdo" about these?

weirdo is when you're a middle-aged workless fat person with a nasty beard and long oily hair who spends his life shredding "awesome" licks & shitwith some ugly*ss pointy guitar. (less ignorant than you're statement)

Anyway, I've seen guitar banjo's, they're just 6 string banjo's so you won't have to learn new chord-things for your fingers in order to learn playing it.

Mandolins, sitars, etc were used (more frequently) widly by old rock bands

oud's are also nice, but it's more for eastern music.
If you know how to do some basic finger picking it can transfer onto banjo and basic music theory will transfer to most instruments. The terms "hammer-on" and "pull-off" came from banjo players. I never played a sitar, but are wanting too as well. They are both respectable instruments to play and nothing weird about wanting to play them. You're a musician after all right?
you're never as free as when you are lost
I started playing banjo like 2 months ago ish, I love it. like was said before, the highest string above the lowest messed me up a bit, I actually never had any experience finger picking prior to picking it up haha. its a great experience and personally it helped me think outside the box with patterns and scales and stuff
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
Get a real instrument like the Mandolin. Bitches love mandolins.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by AmirT
Anyway, I've seen guitar banjo's, they're just 6 string banjo's so you won't have to learn new chord-things for your fingers in order to learn playing it.

Yeah, and that way you won't have to learn the majority of the licks that make up vocabulary of the banjo either. I mean, it's not like people get a banjo because they want to be able to play banjo licks.

You have a really strange definition of the word "widely" though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by AmirT
what's so "weirdo" about these?

weirdo is when you're a middle-aged workless fat person with a nasty beard and long oily hair who spends his life shredding "awesome" licks & shitwith some ugly*ss pointy guitar. (less ignorant than you're statement)

oud's are also nice, but it's more for eastern music.

Holy shit, you're so pissy and passive aggressive it's unbelievable!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by theogonia777
Yeah, and that way you won't have to learn the majority of the licks that make up vocabulary of the banjo either. I mean, it's not like people get a banjo because they want to be able to play banjo licks.

You have a really strange definition of the word "widely" though.

Yeah, I know what you're saying bro. Banjo licks on a 6-string Banjo is impossible.. I once tried it, broke my index finger and my cat exploded. Bro.

I indeed should do some research of 60's & 70's rock'n'roll and psychedelic bands and such.
Can you forgtive my errors I done in the past? Bro.

Thank you for your enlightenment fine sir! Bro.
Quote by AmirT
Yeah, I know what you're saying bro. Banjo licks on a 6-string Banjo is impossible.. I once tried it, broke my index finger and my cat exploded. Bro.

I indeed should do some research of 60's & 70's rock'n'roll and psychedelic bands and such.
Can you forgtive my errors I done in the past? Bro.

Thank you for your enlightenment fine sir! Bro.

Amir, you got some 'splainin' to do.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
charlie flynn, I dont think I could say it any better. I been pickin the banjo for about a year now, but the high string on top is hard to get used to. But overall not bad. Too bad UG doesnt have banjo tabs........
Quote by Hereiwas
sitars are only more difficult in so far as the frets can be moved.

Don't sitars also use microtones? Like quarter-tones and such?
Never played sitar.

Spent a few hours playing banjo before. Pretty easy to get your head around once you start recognising the note patterns associated with the open G tuning.