Page 1 of 2
Happy easters all!

So I own a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 601 which is an okay amp but I find it to be too muddy and the clean isn't really fantastic. The clean is fine and the drive is good but as I play a lot of different stuff (think clean-ish blues and rock like John Mayer and RHCP on the other hand and vintage, modern and hard rock on the other side). I know for those sparkly cleans a fender would be ideal but that doesn't get me the drive I want.

Can you amp nerds point me towards an amp that gets me best of both worlds? Think a P90 of amps (nice clean and good drive).

It would also help if it didn't break the bank. I can get about $600 locally for my Marshall so that's my budget and I'd much prefer to go used.

Thank you!

EDIT:
I do not "need" a Fender clean channel but I need a nicer clean than the TSL offers.
Amps I have been looking at:
Peavey Classic 30
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange TH30

Oranges are dirt cheap in Iceland thanks to a great dealer, cheaper new than in the U.S.
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Mar 31, 2013,
Locally?

Where in the world do you live?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Locally?

Where in the world do you live?

Ahh, forgot to mention that. Reykjavík, Iceland.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but something tells me you'll have quite some difficulty getting your hands on your ideal amp in Iceland....but I don't know. I would probably hang onto the Marshall and save up for something like a Hot Rod, or if you don't need a lot of amp maybe even a Blues Jr, if Fender clean tone is what you seek that is
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Jsx could be a good fit if you can find one used.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by gerraguitar
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but something tells me you'll have quite some difficulty getting your hands on your ideal amp in Iceland....but I don't know. I would probably hang onto the Marshall and save up for something like a Hot Rod, or if you don't need a lot of amp maybe even a Blues Jr, if Fender clean tone is what you seek that is

I need a lot more gain than I can get from a Blues Jr, the clean is very nice though
engl screamer maybe? not too sure how available it is in iceland, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
engl screamer maybe? not too sure how available it is in iceland, though.

We don't have an Engl dealer and I've never seen one for sale locally :/

What we have most of is Orange, Marshall, Peavey, Fender, Vox and Mesa
Maybe a Vox AC30? One of the only amps I think people can agree on that does the best of both worlds is a Mark Series from Mesa. If you want to save up and go with that do it up, you definitely have good options to choose from though, there are a few select models from each one of those brands you could look into.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
We don't have an Engl dealer and I've never seen one for sale locally :/

What we have most of is Orange, Marshall, Peavey, Fender, Vox and Mesa

Doesnt Thomann ship to Iceland? No matter, new Engl amps are over your budget.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i just realised i suggested the screamer in your old thread and you gave me the same answer sorry about that

big problem is the budget... peavey and mesa (and even fender if you consider the supersonic, or marshall if you consider the jvm) do amps which will more or less do what you want, but they're pricey...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the Traynor amps. The YCV20WRs are really nice. I've had a couple of them over the years. Never let me down.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I'm probably about to get my head blown off, but look into the LINE 6 DT25, one of those things coupled with a POD HD pedal makes a mean and versatile rig, which seems to be what you're after. the only issue is price and whether you can stand digital modelling, even though it does offer lot's of analouge sound abilities.
Quote by wilmearz
Might get shot down for these buuttt- Marshall JVM or Peavey JSX... Oh wait these have already been mentioned :P Go me!

Hahaha, actually also silver Jubilee? Used obviously.

Edit: Just saw your budget! Probably makes all of those impossible apart from maybe a JVM combo used.

Decent orange head (not a terror) may work as might a mesa but I reckon that may be tricky in budget.

Theres actually a silver jubilee for sale locally for like $650-700, I might look at that but is it all that different from JCM marshalls? I can't find any good demos. this Silver Jub is a 2554
Since all of you are talking about my budget and I don't want to spam the thread with an answer to all of you.

I have a almost new LTD EC-1000T with Dimarzio pickups in it that I could sell for amp cash. I'd get around $950-1000 for it which allows for some extra budget since I could get a PRS Se (my next choice after this LTD, I do LOVE it though:/) for around $500-550 locally

Edit:
Yes Thomann ships here for dirt cheap but Iceland's VAT is 25,5% so please calculate that as additional cost if you're advicing me new amps from Thomann
^ that's only gonna be a little more, surely? Thomann prices already include VAT for EU countries (which is normally around the 20% mark), so (don't quote me on this) you should be able to remove the VAT they've already added from the prices they're charging.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that's only gonna be a little more, surely? Thomann prices already include VAT for EU countries (which is normally around the 20% mark), so (don't quote me on this) you should be able to remove the VAT they've already added from the prices they're charging.

Yeah. Iceland is an EU country (unless I am wrong?) so VAT is already in the price and there shouldn't be in custom hassles. I buy from Thomann all the time.

*edit* It seems like I was wrong. Iceland is not member of EU yet but is still member of EEA (European Economic Area). Does this mean purchases from EU country to Iceland get custom fees slapped on top or not, I have no idea.

I hate politics and taxes...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 1, 2013,
Egnater Tweeker? May have to go used depending on how much wattage you want.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
If I were you, I'd stick with the JCM and get myself an all tube preamp (Engl E530, AMT, H&K Tubeman).
Run that back into your effects return (or AB it with the JCM preamp), and you will have the best of both worlds. To my knowledge the JCM has a kickass poweramp. Stick with that if u can.
yeah iceland's not in the eu, though there was talk about them joining when their whole banking system collapsed. i don't pay attention to icelandic news, but they may well be reconsidering that considering what's happening in cyprus

but anyway, according to wiki it seems to be free trade. so you'd just pay your VAT rate which should be included in the price if you click on the icelandic flag on the thomann site.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah iceland's not in the eu, though there was talk about them joining when their whole banking system collapsed. i don't pay attention to icelandic news, but they may well be reconsidering that considering what's happening in cyprus

but anyway, according to wiki it seems to be free trade. so you'd just pay your VAT rate which should be included in the price if you click on the icelandic flag on the thomann site.

I do get around 15% off the price at thomann because the VAT is removed, then the icelandic VAT is added 25,5%

For exact thomann prices to me take normal price+40 Euros for shipping *1,07 and you get the price for the amp at my front door.

An all new amp from thomann might not be a bad idea after all... It's not really expensive to shop amps there I see now.

I'm still debating whether to sell my JCM or not... It sounds damn good through a 4x12 cab at high volumes and really opens up but sounds muddy and bassy in my bedroom.

It always sounds good with my G&L strat and sincle coils shine through this amp, not sparkly clean but still sound good, specially with my Clark Gainster clone to push the amp a bit.

Maybe a pickup change in my LTD (thinking P90s) and an attenuator might solve all my problems?

EDIT:
If an amp change is where I should go I'm kind of leaning towards a used AC15 or Peavey Classic 30 since I'm still only a bedroom player and I don't want to blow too much on an amp. If I ever join a serious band I wouldn't mind blowing $2000 on a mesa to get the absolute best of both worlds
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Apr 1, 2013,
Actually after some Thomann digging I've found a few amps in my price range I'd love to get comments on

Traynor YCV50B - a 50w combo that seems to have a great clean channel and pretty good drive. I have never really heard of Traynors and know nothing of them.
Traynor Ironhorse - A 40w lunchbox sized head that's really simple and sounds great according to youtube
Laney VC30 - Damn that thing seems to have amazing clean as well as good drive (I've never heard a bad demo of a Laney amp). Might not be high gain but I don't mind using pedals.
Laney Lionheart L5T - 5W Boutique combo that sounds fantastic (5W might be a little too small for me)
Laney Lionheart LH20 - 20W Boutique head that sounds good
Laney Cub 12R - Seems to have a blend of nice clean and drive

All of these seem to have good and bright clean with good drive and a decent amount of it.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Apr 1, 2013,
I know what you mean, I wish I had something that would go from warm clean sparkle to heavy gain by rolling up the volume. I had a SuperSonic, but the burn channel was not even meh.
I think about Vai in Tender surrender live, not sure if he has a fender as well as his sig amp, but someone here told me his amp doesn't roll up gain that great, maybe he has someone backstage doing somethng, but it looks to me like he just turns the knob
i'd have said the traynor ycv50b would be hard to beat (based on the 40 watter i tried which is pretty similar apart from the speaker and power tubes). Caveat being i haven't tried the ironheart or cub.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd have said the traynor ycv50b would be hard to beat (based on the 40 watter i tried which is pretty similar apart from the speaker and power tubes). Caveat being i haven't tried the ironheart or cub.

Was the Traynor that good? I'm kind of stretching my budget for it but it'd be okay. I don't know much of Traynor quality and we don't have a good dealer here. According to Traynor amps website we have a dealer but I've never seen a Traynor there.
hard to beat for the money for what you want, i should have said.

the laneys are pretty good too but more on the vintage side of things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried a Vox AC30 yesterday, that's ruled out since it doesn't really have enough gain but it sounds wonderful and I'd love to grab one someday.

I also tried a Peavey Classic 30 and it really surprised me, great clean, good reverb and has a nice amount of gain on tap, really leaning towards this! I have a pending deal to swap my marshall for a Peavey Classic 30 head and a 2x12 cab.

Before rushing into that trade I'm looking more into the Traynors and Laneys for sure.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated

-John
Quote by GonzoBeatz
I'm probably about to get my head blown off, but look into the LINE 6 DT25, one of those things coupled with a POD HD pedal makes a mean and versatile rig, which seems to be what you're after. the only issue is price and whether you can stand digital modelling, even though it does offer lot's of analouge sound abilities.

I second this combo.
how loud did you try the classic 30? they have a bit of a rep for rattling, i think.

i always thought the laney vc30 was like a nicer classic 30. but they're both nice amps for the money.

i'd still take the traynor over either, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I suggest a Vox Ac30 or Ac15...not sure how big you need it.

vox is known for a crisp, jangley clean sound that I find irresistible but packs a punch on the gain side with or without pedals. I play mine with an overdrive/boost or fuzz and it kills. the tone is face meltingly awesome.
Quote by Dave_Mc

the laneys are pretty good too but more on the vintage side of things.

How good are the clean crunch/low gain on Ironheart serie? The amp is known for having great high gain sound but if the clean and crunch sounds are good, maybe that would be good for TS? And they fit in TS price range too if he stretches up a bit.

The samples on Thomann are quite worthless but atleast they do show that it does work in certain genres.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irt60h_ironheart.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Dave_Mc
how loud did you try the classic 30? they have a bit of a rep for rattling, i think.

i always thought the laney vc30 was like a nicer classic 30. but they're both nice amps for the money.

i'd still take the traynor over either, though.

Not really loud... Was in a music store where I can't blast full volume. I'm borrowing a friends C50 to try it out and I will test drive the C30 well before making any trades.

The Traynor and Laney might be nicer, too bad I can't try them :/
Quote by MaaZeus
How good are the clean crunch/low gain on Ironheart serie? The amp is known for having great high gain sound but if the clean and crunch sounds are good, maybe that would be good for TS? And they fit in TS price range too if he stretches up a bit.

The samples on Thomann are quite worthless but atleast they do show that it does work in certain genres.

The Ironheart is out of my range unless I sell the LTD. They seem to be great high gain amps but I need something with medium gain and a nice clean so I don't think it's a perfect match
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
The Ironheart is out of my range unless I sell the LTD. They seem to be great high gain amps but I need something with medium gain and a nice clean so I don't think it's a perfect match

It is high gain amp but thats what I was asking if it sounds good when you have the gain turned down on rhythm channel or not. You dont have to crank it you know.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by jrenkert
I suggest a Vox Ac30 or Ac15...not sure how big you need it.

vox is known for a crisp, jangley clean sound that I find irresistible but packs a punch on the gain side with or without pedals. I play mine with an overdrive/boost or fuzz and it kills. the tone is face meltingly awesome.

I'd love to get a Vox Ac15 for cleans and medium gain but I think it's really limited not to only have eq for the top boost channel and not clean. It also doesn't really get that heavily overdriven/distortion. I haven't tried it with pedals though... How heavy stuff can you play through it with a good overdrive pedal?
Quote by MaaZeus

i was talking about the vc30 and lionhearts he mentioned. the ironheart is a high gainer (but i haven't tried it).

Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Not really loud... Was in a music store where I can't blast full volume. I'm borrowing a friends C50 to try it out and I will test drive the C30 well before making any trades.

The Traynor and Laney might be nicer, too bad I can't try them :/

yeah the rattle will only really become apparent at higher volumes.

and yeah not being able to try stuff is a real pain. we have a similar problem here (though probably not as bad as iceland) here in northern ireland, should you pick the mediocre thing you can try or the possibly-better thing you can't?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was talking about the vc30 and lionhearts he mentioned. the ironheart is a high gainer (but i haven't tried it).

yeah the rattle will only really become apparent at higher volumes.

and yeah not being able to try stuff is a real pain. we have a similar problem here (though probably not as bad as iceland) here in northern ireland, should you pick the mediocre thing you can try or the possibly-better thing you can't?

Ugh... tough call. The thing is if I get a Peavey C30, Vox Ac15/30 or simular I can always sell it fast here. If I get a Traynor or Laney it might get tricky since we have very limited intel and access to them here :/

I think I'll pass on those amps for now. If I don't like my next amp I travel abroad 1-2 times a year and should be able to try them out somewhere in the world some day soon haha if I like I can snag one home with me and not pay shipping!
yeah that's another thing, the resale value. if you're not careful it risks becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, but at the same time it'd be silly to ignore it completely, too.

up to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yes I know, but it was the Lionheart that reminded me of Ironheart serie and was kind of hoping you had some experience with it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
nope, sorry, just the lionheart (which is lower gain, kind of like a "better" vc30).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2