Hi guys , so i'm looking for an amp to complete with my Sunn Sceptre.

Let me explain: My Sunn is currently the perfect clean amp: Crystal clear, zero break up, bunch of headroom. But now, i'm looking for a good mid/high gain amp to get good leads/rythm tones. I tried to fill my hunger of a more gainy sound with a distortion/overdrive pedal but nothing satisfied me enough

So here's what i'm looking for:

Must be around 50w,
Around 400$ (Can be a little more or less, can be used)
Something that sound kinda like a JCM 800.
I accept ripoff brands (ex: Bugera),
i'm not really into modern tones... i love british tones.
must be tube.
Must be an head.

Thanks in advance
Fender Telecaster Texas Special MIA
Sunn Sceptre 1971 A1
Marshall JCM800 Cab 1980
Last edited by MANULIFEISWAR at Mar 31, 2013,
Where do you live?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I live in Quebec, Canada but i travel alot in montreal, north east of the states, i'm willing to pay some shipping too...
Sunn Sceptre 1971 A1
Marshall JCM800 Cab 1980
Laney AOR comes to mind.

Krank 1980jr...

Peavey Windsor.

Peavey VTM.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Laney GH50
Bugera 1990 (could pull tubes)
Jet City JCA50
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
There's a Sovtek Mig-50h head for sale on eBay in Massachusetts for $500.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
A 1960 sounds like a good option... like you say if i remove some tubes i can drop wattages ? can this cause any harm to my amp ?
Sunn Sceptre 1971 A1
Marshall JCM800 Cab 1980
The Jet City is a tone monster, don't pass it up because of the ugly blue baffles they ship with. They're designed and based off of a Soldano Hot Rod Plus, which is more or less the lead channel of a Soldano SLO. I could pull off Killswitch Engage tones (within reason) on my 100W model I had, and the normal channel could do a really sweet hotrodded blues thing.

And speaking of ugly amps, I recently acquired a Peavey VTM and it's probably my favorite amp I've ever owned. It was their answer to Marshall's JCM800 and comes pretty damn close. Plus it's infinitely more versatile because of a row of tiny DIP switches on the front that allows you to adjust different aspects of the tone and response of the amp. With the OD2 and High1 switches engaged I can make it sound close to my JCA100H. These can be acquired for around $250USD, a hell of a bargain.

Also, what few clips of the Sceptre I've heard make me believe it's a rowdy ass amp. You sure yours is up to spec? Electrolytic capacitors need to be swapped out every 20 years or so, and resistors can drift wildly over that time. I had the chance to buy one at a flea market for $100 and passed on it like an idiot. I still kick myself for it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by MANULIFEISWAR
I live in Quebec, Canada but i travel alot in montreal, north east of the states, i'm willing to pay some shipping too...

you need to look up the amps mentioned here on the guitar center used site.

plenty of good deals on these and i believe they ship to canada.
Quote by MANULIFEISWAR
A 1960 sounds like a good option... like you say if i remove some tubes i can drop wattages ? can this cause any harm to my amp ?

Yeah if you pull out two of the power tubes you'll get break up at a lower level. However that being said, with the 1960 you'll still have to crank it to get some real distortion because of the way it is designed - hence I mentioned the 1990 (with it's independent gain and master volume)

Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I've had a hard time finding stuff on guitar center that comes to Canada but I might be a noob
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
you have to order from the store it is at used. www.guitarcenter.co/used will take you to the used site you need to be on and call the store direct do not order online
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 1, 2013,
Blackstar HT-50
Amp:
Blackstar HT-50 Head
Orange PPC212

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster '62 Re-issue ('84)
Takamine G-Series Acoustic

Pedals:
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Boss TU-3
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
ISP Decimator
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Jim Dunlop DC Brick
Quote by R45VT
Laney AOR comes to mind.

Krank 1980jr...

This. TS take your pick
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Used Marshall DSL401 (40 watts, but the difference between 40 and 50 is negligible and some 50 watt amps can seem quieter than 30 watt amps)
Used Traynor YCS50
Used Traynor YCV50
Used Traynor YCV40WR (more Fender/old Boogie Santana-ish overdrive, but you might be able to dial in something good)

There's not much to consider within your price range, essentially nothing brand new, but you might enjoy one of those. The YCV is like a more British voiced YCV40, which some love or dislike. The YCS can do some more Bluesbreaker style tones on the clean channel cranked, but also do Plexi inspired tones and the hotrodded British thing on the lead channel, but don't trust youtube videos. They are all pretty awful. The DSL401 can sound very respectable with the right player and settings, and they can warm up more with a few mods (if you require that). Good luck.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, i'm checking alot of stuff right now and i'm sure that i will find something that will suit me.

I'm pretty stoked on Traynor, i might try to get my hands on a YCBLUE and run it in the 'speaker out', i know how they sound (I'm a pretty big traynor fan) and i'm kind of ashamed that i didn't thought about it ! Plus, they are so damn common in my area ! (CANADA FTW YO.)

@Flux'd Mine as been rewired from side to side last year, it's seriously a museum piece ! It's a crystal clear clean machine, sound's alot like a Bassman but with less breakup The fews soundclip that are on the web are always runned in some kind of pedals or w/e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAfYRYw3wk

That how my baby sounds
Sunn Sceptre 1971 A1
Marshall JCM800 Cab 1980