What`s up
So I`ve come to the conclusion that I should start recording my work.
I will record guitars and vocals.
I am completely new to this stuff so I don`t know what to get.
I need a mic and an interface. Should I get two separate mics for the vocals and guitars or is it possible to record vocals somewhat okey with a guitar mic?

Do I have to get a program like Ableton or Cubase? I do have Audacity and I`m pretty used to that but will it suffice?

I`d appreciate if you could post links of stuff I should get from Thomann.de and also write other things I should think about.
The stuff should be as cheap as possible but not absolute crap if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
Dissonance is underrated.
Did you read the stickies?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Did you read the stickies?

This. Everything you asked is in the stickies. You can come back for more specific questions which haven't been answered so many times they've been turned into a sticky.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Not to offend you or anything, but if you even think that there is even a small chance that Audacity will suffice then you need to rethink your whole concept of recording.

I highly suggest that you first of all read the stickies, then read something about recording.

But to answer your question, so I'm not a complete douche (a)
As an audio-interface, I can recommend stuff from Focusrite. As for the mic, you could look into VST amp-emulator/simulator, you can get some pretty neat sounds from GuitarRig so you'll only need a mic (maybe sE X1)

If you're only going to record then the DAW I'd advise would be ProTools or Cubase.
Quote by MaXiMuse
Not to offend you or anything, but if you even think that there is even a small chance that Audacity will suffice then you need to rethink your whole concept of recording.

I highly suggest that you first of all read the stickies, then read something about recording.

But to answer your question, so I'm not a complete douche (a)
As an audio-interface, I can recommend stuff from Focusrite. As for the mic, you could look into VST amp-emulator/simulator, you can get some pretty neat sounds from GuitarRig so you'll only need a mic (maybe sE X1)

If you're only going to record then the DAW I'd advise would be ProTools or Cubase.

If you think audacity can't be used then you need to rethink YOUR whole concept of recording....it's very usable. Sure, there's better stuff out there. Sure, we're going to recommend him reaper. But saying he has to rethink his concept of recording if he's using audacity is ridiculous.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
If you think audacity can't be used then you need to rethink YOUR whole concept of recording....it's very usable. Sure, there's better stuff out there. Sure, we're going to recommend him reaper. But saying he has to rethink his concept of recording if he's using audacity is ridiculous.

Audacity is good for recording like Duct Tape is good for stopping a leaking pipe. Sure, it'll work but there are so many better options out there. I've used Audacity to record before but that was when I was starting out & was using an 8 channel Behringer Mixer into my buddies Macbook's Mic Input.

I won't say Audacity doesn't have its uses (I use it for quick Wave to MP3 bounces) but if I had to choose between Audacity or Reaper (or pretty much any DAW), I'd go Reaper hands down.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Audacity is good for recording like Duct Tape is good for stopping a leaking pipe. Sure, it'll work but there are so many better options out there. I've used Audacity to record before but that was when I was starting out & was using an 8 channel Behringer Mixer into my buddies Macbook's Mic Input.

I won't say Audacity doesn't have its uses (I use it for quick Wave to MP3 bounces) but if I had to choose between Audacity or Reaper (or pretty much any DAW), I'd go Reaper hands down.

Oh I would too. Like I said,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Sure, there's better stuff out there. Sure, we're going to recommend him reaper.
I used it basically up until I got Logic. I would use GB for midi integration but audacity for editing, et al.

I was merely pointing out the audacity of his statement.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by MaXiMuse

So you would recommend dropping $120 (for cubase 6) - $600 (Pro Tools 10) on a DAW straight out? That's a terrible idea. Get the REAPER trial and use it at least until you reach the end of the official trial (even though it keeps running afterwards). Once you've tried that if you like it buy it otherwise get some other DAWs trial and try that.
So from what I`ve read and see this chain in my head:
Guitar into amp - SM57 if nothing else is suggested - Focusrite 2i2 - Reaper
What is the biggest difference between the Focusrite 2i2 and 2i4? Or what is the reason getting the 2i4 over the 2i2?
I`ve also read that you can record vocals but you`d probably need a pop filter with the sm57. That sounds pretty good to me.

Does Reaper have a good EQ plug-in that comes out of the box?
Quote by Lyrax
So from what I`ve read and see this chain in my head:
Guitar into amp - SM57 if nothing else is suggested - Focusrite 2i2 - Reaper
What is the biggest difference between the Focusrite 2i2 and 2i4? Or what is the reason getting the 2i4 over the 2i2?
I`ve also read that you can record vocals but you`d probably need a pop filter with the sm57. That sounds pretty good to me.

Does Reaper have a good EQ plug-in that comes out of the box?

No, get the 2i4. I originally didn't know the difference went beyond number of outputs. The 2i4 also has a pad switch which is useful for DI'ing. However, if you plan on using it for sources other than loud guitar cabs, Matrix has a point. You'll need a decent amount of gain on tap. I'm not sure if the 2i4 has enough for CLEAN, quiet vocals. It will certainly do the job but you might get some self noise.

You can record vocals with anything. You can use an sm57 for anything. Sure, there are better tools out there but I only had an SM57 for a while and I did everything with it. IF you had the money to get another mic, a large diaphragm condenser for instance, I'd recommend you do that. Just to have an extra tool in your arsenal. This would solve the not enough gain problem.

I don't know if reaper has a good EQ but I'd imagine it does. Most DAWs come with a good enough EQ.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
What is DI`ing and the pad switch? I`m new to this so don`t be mad.
Do I really need Reaper if the 2i4 comes with Ableton Live Lite 8?
DI or Direct Input is basically taking your guitar straight from the guitar to the interface. A lot of home studios use this for amp simulators since its either inconvenient to mic up their Tube Amp due to where they live or whatever or they have something like a Line 6 Spider which isn't worth micing. Also, Bass guitar is usually recorded this way even in major studios on pro records.

The Pad switch lowers the input volume so that you have more control over whatever you have coming in.

I'd suggest learning Reaper over Ableton since Ableton is geared more towards electronic music & looping whereas Reaper is a more traditional DAW. You could use Ableton to record whatever you want but its not as easy as Reaper when it comes to non-electronic music.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks guys for answering my questions.
It looks like I`ll get the Focusrite 2i4, Reaper and the Shure SM57.
Sounds pretty cool to me.

Anything else you wanna say?
Quote by Lyrax
Thanks guys for answering my questions.
It looks like I`ll get the Focusrite 2i4, Reaper and the Shure SM57.
Sounds pretty cool to me.

Anything else you wanna say?

Yes, even though you're planning on using the SM57 to record directly from your amp, I'd at least download some of the free amp sims & cab sims in the amp sims sticky. Try them out, so you at least know how to use them. I personally think it's important to understand how to use amp sims, even if you record your amp signal through a mic more often anyway. Amp sims may allow you to get tones that your actual amp cannot get, which could be useful from a songwriting perspective.

Btw, if you can, then it's no big deal to get the 2i4 on eBay (most of the time, you can use the "Buy now" option) and save $50-100. Most of the used/refurbished 2i4s are still very good quality.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 31, 2013,
Quote by Lyrax

?

Sm57 and 58 have the same F-response and same capsule.. They are the same microphone.. So you could get the 58 and im pretty sure you can screw of the 58's pop filter, turning it into the 57. Also you can alter its polar pattern, which is pretty cool.
Quote by roaraudio
Sm57 and 58 have the same F-response and same capsule.. They are the same microphone.. So you could get the 58 and im pretty sure you can screw of the 58's pop filter, turning it into the 57. Also you can alter its polar pattern, which is pretty cool.

Similar, but not the same. Try it for yourself and you'll see that's not true.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Actually, the company that makes them have admitted that they're exactly the same...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Actually, the company that makes them have admitted that they're exactly the same...

They may be "the same mic," according to Shure but they really aren't. They're quite similar; never let me say otherwise. But take two apart and look at them, don't just believe what you read on the internet. They don't respond the same way. The diaphragms are in different places, even without the wind screen. Shure even releases the specs which shows different freq response if you can't use your own ears to tell the difference. Once again, the difference is negligible and in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters. But they are different mics.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Quote by Artemis Entreri
They may be "the same mic," according to Shure but they really aren't. They're quite similar; never let me say otherwise. But take two apart and look at them, don't just believe what you read on the internet. They don't respond the same way. The diaphragms are in different places, even without the wind screen. Shure even releases the specs which shows different freq response if you can't use your own ears to tell the difference. Once again, the difference is negligible and in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters. But they are different mics.

Can we please not get into this again, it has no bearing on this thread and last time we went into this it just ended up being a big ass waste of time.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Remind me to stop taking you seriously...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, even though you're planning on using the SM57 to record directly from your amp, I'd at least download some of the free amp sims & cab sims in the amp sims sticky. Try them out, so you at least know how to use them. I personally think it's important to understand how to use amp sims, even if you record your amp signal through a mic more often anyway. Amp sims may allow you to get tones that your actual amp cannot get, which could be useful from a songwriting perspective.

I`m not sure if I want to buy the amp sim plug ins but I saw that there are some free ones in the sticky.
Which one of them are the best? Well, I`ll probably find it out when I get my gear because it`s probably a personal preference.
Quote by Lyrax
I`m not sure if I want to buy the amp sim plug ins but I saw that there are some free ones in the sticky.
Which one of them are the best? Well, I`ll probably find it out when I get my gear because it`s probably a personal preference.

All of them are excellent. As for "best", that'll depend on what you're trying to record. I've used both LePou's LeGion and LeCto, which are good for both high gain and cleans. (You will have to EQ different for cleans, btw.) If you're looking for less gain, then I suggest you check out some of the other free amp sims.

LeCab2 is great no matter what amp sim you go with, but you may want to download keFir (make sure it's 100% wet) and use that until you get the hang of amp/cab sims.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
All of them are excellent. As for "best", that'll depend on what you're trying to record. I've used both LePou's LeGion and LeCto, which are good for both high gain and cleans. (You will have to EQ different for cleans, btw.) If you're looking for less gain, then I suggest you check out some of the other free amp sims.

LeCab2 is great no matter what amp sim you go with, but you may want to download keFir (make sure it's 100% wet) and use that until you get the hang of amp/cab sims.

Thanks dude!
I`m sure that I`ll have a lot of fun recording stuff
Quote by Lyrax
What is DI`ing and the pad switch? I`m new to this so don`t be mad.
Do I really need Reaper if the 2i4 comes with Ableton Live Lite 8?

As an ableton user i can say its awesome, but sadly ableton lite has limitations as to the number of tracks you can have, the number of undos you can do, the number of effects etc.