that I signed up here specifically to make, I figured now that I had a real job it was time to stop lurking and get some advice on a nice amplifier to purchase.

Budget :
$1000 - $2000, this honestly depends on how long I feel like saving. Realistically I don't see myself spending more than $2500ish unless I win the lottery or it's a piece of gear that will gain value over the years or something. At that point it's an investment and an amp...

Genres : I'm one of those gaybois that love to play everything, so instead of trying to list a bunch of easily misinterpreted genres I'll post some youtube videos of tones I love, these are roughly arranged in low to high gain order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLoRNMgmFo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBiLrZT3eno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ge6ttcFrvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-Q6kDjaBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFR_eBXK3p0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iijmj5nB6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rk6LHyUgik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFq_dYF2kc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebzVpqm7-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0f1gfVdXZY

New or used : I have no qualms with going used. But keep it mind I want gear that will outlast me naturally (my family regularly lives to 90+ and I'm a very in shape person/healthy eater) and can survive tossed objects, falling off a halfstack, etc etc.

Home or gig : It's gotta be able to gig over a loud drummer sans PA, all the houses/lots next to me are empty as well so I will frequently be cranking it at home.

Closest city : I live in the bay area, though I come up to oregon (there atm actually) and washington to visit my family from time to time. Doesn't matter what's on my CL atm though, as it'll be a while until I've got my funds saved up.

Current gear : PodHD500, Epiphone SG, MIM Telecaster and an Avatar 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and Lead 80 in it, wired for 8ohms. Both guitars have been upgraded in various ways, including pups.

Misc : I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a british voiced amp. I already have a cab, so a head would be nice. Though a combo + my 2x12 setup would be fine as well. Like I said, I'm a fitness nut so it won't be too tough to carry around whatever.
falling off a halfstack

i don't think any tube amp is going to survive falling from top of a cab. i recommend you a JCM800 for british voicing and a dual rectifier for the american voicing. second hand for both. check out if there are any near you.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I own an Orange RV50 MKII and its incredibly versatile, id say it can cover all of those genres well and it got the brit tone down quite well.

Id also suggest that you check out the Mesa Royal Atlantic. It is british voiced and also very versatile imo.
Quote by omidmash
i don't think any tube amp is going to survive falling from top of a cab. i recommend you a JCM800 for british voicing and a dual rectifier for the american voicing. second hand for both. check out if there are any near you.

Pish posh, I myself have witnessed a 6505 take a tumble off a full stack and it was plugged back in and played fine. There are plenty of cases of an amp falling off a stack and surviving, as well as the video of the Crate V series amp being chucked across the room.

TS, you need versatility.

Marshall JVM
Mesa MK IV/V
Mesa Roadking
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
Marshall JCM2000
EVH 5150 III
H&K TriAmp (could be thinking of a different H&K)
Peavey JSX

All I got off the top of my head.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah, I played drums in a punk band a while ago and the guitarist's Crate still worked after numerous falls, one of the SS ones too.

Quote by dementiacaptain

TS, you need versatility.

Marshall JVM
Mesa MK IV/V
Mesa Roadking
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
Marshall JCM2000
EVH 5150 III
H&K TriAmp (could be thinking of a different H&K)
Peavey JSX

All I got off the top of my head.

I really love the JVM and JCM800 models on my Pod, so I am on the look out for good deals on those. I'm curious as to whether there are any marshall clones like ceriatone, splawn, etc, that are better than the real marshalls in my price range.

I've never had a chance to play any of those Mesas, though I have the feeling they'd be a little american for what I want.

The 5150III is the one by Fender, right? I've really been wanting to try that out but the GCs in my area seem to be perpetually out of them. It sounds so much more versatile than the 5150/6505s I've played in the past, which I'm pretty sure were all older models.

I can't say I'm familiar with JSX or any other amp you listed though.

Quote by Remnest
I own an Orange RV50 MKII and its incredibly versatile, id say it can cover all of those genres well and it got the brit tone down quite well.

Id also suggest that you check out the Mesa Royal Atlantic. It is british voiced and also very versatile imo.

I'm always trying Oranges when I find them. I've only had the chance to play thunderverbs (the th30 and th100) though, how does the rockerverb compare to them?
Quote by Handy_Andy
Yeah, I played drums in a punk band a while ago and the guitarist's Crate still worked after numerous falls, one of the SS ones too.

I really love the JVM and JCM800 models on my Pod, so I am on the look out for good deals on those. I'm curious as to whether there are any marshall clones like ceriatone, splawn, etc, that are better than the real marshalls in my price range.

I've never had a chance to play any of those Mesas, though I have the feeling they'd be a little american for what I want.

The 5150III is the one by Fender, right? I've really been wanting to try that out but the GCs in my area seem to be perpetually out of them. It sounds so much more versatile than the 5150/6505s I've played in the past, which I'm pretty sure were all older models.

I can't say I'm familiar with JSX or any other amp you listed though.

The Roadking probably will be, but the Mark is meant to be anything and everything that you want from an amp. If I were you I wouldn't write off anything, it could be that you may end up liking what you hear even though it may not have been what you thought you wanted to start with.

The 5150 III is indeed by Fender. The mini is a sweet little amp as well, though from what I have heard it doesn't really measure up to big brother.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd also look at Mesa Roadsters.

They're baby Roadking's, have a few less tweaking (techy) features but are INCREDIBLY versatile (still 4 channels, 3 modes per channel, 50/100 watt assignable channel and assignable reverb). They have Lonestar cleans, which are wonderful, but can also get the Marshall bite or American brutals.

I bought my used 2x12 combo for $1700 US, and it was only about a year and a half old. I recommend purchasing an EQ pedal though, as they have tons of low-end.
I second the Roadking. You should be able to get the brutal tones, but also dial in more British style bark for the Mastodon or Fall of Troy, plus it's already been stated that the cleans are great.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Do 56k internet connections still exist?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by dementiacaptain
Pish posh, I myself have witnessed a 6505 take a tumble off a full stack and it was plugged back in and played fine. There are plenty of cases of an amp falling off a stack and surviving, as well as the video of the Crate V series amp being chucked across the room.

+1 i saw literally the same thing. the head fell off so did most of the signal. i was friends with the guy and it looked like it was the end of their gig, but i went in back with him, and the only issue was that a couple of tubes weren't seated he was back in 5 and finished fine. peavey makes some tough amps. however you could see physical damage to the head cabinet.

but it lived.

roadking or MK is what i would go for. six:x may work too.

i don't have a ton of experience with a roadking, but it is feature packed. and i the clips sound good. i have heard one but i haven't ever played one.

i have a MKIV. i really like it. i paid $875 for a long head. i really like it, it is the extreme of a tweakers amp. i haven't ever played a MKV, but i have heard a lot of positive reviews (not on MF or that bullshit) mostly on here or other forums from people i talk to regularly.

i have a sig:X and love it. it doesn't see a ton of love on here, but i think that could be an unforgivable amp. it doesn't hide anything you play. you will hear every error that some amps aren't so fussy about. it is very versatile, but if your a sloppy player, you would likely get frustrated and not like it. that is kind of what the guy i bought it from said. it is also he said he was getting a rec. i paid $1050 to my door. its kind of a tweakers amp. lots of knobs and switches.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Remnest

+1 to the orange. the MKII RV 50 or 100 are solid amps. i played one for like 30 minutes at GC. beautiful sounding amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by omidmash
i don't think any tube amp is going to survive falling from top of a cab.

Peavey would like a word with you.

TS, great OP.

My immediate thought was a Marshall JVM410. Take a good look at those - be forewarned that they aren't for everyone. I want to love them, but I just can't. But you might.

A Mesa Mark V would also be an excellent (probably better) choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've been researching the Roadking and Mark V for the last hour, so many knobs and switches...

And I suppose my Pod has a Marshall JTM45 model, I thought the JVM was a vintage marshall of some sort, I had no idea it was some sort of mesa-marshall 10 channel beast until I went to wikipedia >__>

Also, I should state that I don't mind tweaking amps. I've kept up with the pod series for 6 or so years now and those require tons of tweaking. So I've grown used to (and enjoy) having tons of knobs to twist.
An Orange Rockerverb 50 would also be suited to you, but you might need to boost with tubescreamer to tighten it for some of your heavier sounds. I meant to say Mesa Boogie Roadster. It's basically a slightly stripped down Roadking, but I doubt it will effect the tweaking options to get what sounds you want.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I was in your situation a few years ago OP. I played a lot of styles of music but just wanted one amp that could really nail them all. I ended up with a Mesa Boogie Mark V combo. Really great sounding and reliable amp. It is the kind of amp that doesn't hide errors in your playing, mainly why lots of "blues lawyers" don't like it. If you do decide to go this route, I would recommend getting the head version as the combo can sound boxy when playing metal (thankfully I don't play metal anymore so this worked out for me ).

Best of luck. Be sure to keep your options open and play as many amps as you can. You don't want to be stuck with something that you payed 2k for and hate after 3 months.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that BTBAM did use Mark V's before they switched to Axe Fxs.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 1, 2013,
^Well, I kind of suck, so an amp that'll make me practice would be nice. That's honestly one of the main reasons I'm going back to tube after years of PODs, I want some more touch-y sensitive-y girl-y feelings in my amps. I can play tight rhythms and fluid solos on my pod whether or not I'm having a good day, so I guess the best word to describe it would be that it's unraw, unreal, unorganic. Something along those lines.

Though the HD is amazing for what it is, especially if you don't want to drop $1500+ on some type of AxeFX.

EDIT: And I'm definitely trying out the Mark V as soon as I find one near me. Unfortunately none of the GCs on my coast seem to have any new or used ones, or Roadkingsters or that matter :c

All the youtube videos of it sound amazing though, I've never played a real Mesa so I didn't know that "that" clean sound was a Mark clean sound, I certainly recognize it from a lot of music I've listened to over the years. But, as mentioned I've been a modelling guy for years now and they always model the recto/mark dirty channels as opposed to their clean ones.
Last edited by Handy_Andy at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by Handy_Andy
^Well, I kind of suck, so an amp that'll make me practice would be nice. That's honestly one of the main reasons I'm going back to tube after years of PODs, I want some more touch-y sensitive-y girl-y feelings in my amps. I can play tight rhythms and fluid solos on my pod whether or not I'm having a good day, so I guess the best word to describe it would be that it's unraw, unreal, unorganic. Something along those lines.

Though the HD is amazing for what it is, especially if you don't want to drop $1500+ on some type of AxeFX.

EDIT: And I'm definitely trying out the Mark V as soon as I find one near me. Unfortunately none of the GCs on my coast seem to have any new or used ones, or Roadkingsters or that matter :c

All the youtube videos of it sound amazing though, I've never played a real Mesa so I didn't know that "that" clean sound was a Mark clean sound, I certainly recognize it from a lot of music I've listened to over the years. But, as mentioned I've been a modelling guy for years now and they always model the recto/mark dirty channels as opposed to their clean ones.

I would say the Mark V has some of the best cleans out of the Boogies. Fat and Tweed mode on channel 1 are the shit.

All of my mp3's on my profile were recorded on a Mark V if you wanted some ideas of how it can sound.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 1, 2013,
Small update, I had forgot to check the inventories of one of the GCs in Oregon, they had an Orange TH30, Mesa Roadster, 2 Channel Dual Rec, Mark V, JVM410h, etc etc...

I walked in and immediately told the manager I had $3000 cash on me and flashed my stuffed wallet, he didn't know that money was all for bills though, but it was enough to let me use the spendiest guitars and crank the amps to 2-3 on the post-gain with little to no complaint from any of the workers, at least non I could hear.

I ran everything into an Orange 2x12 they had, as it looked/sounded the most similar to my avatar cab. I don't have a long review for any of them as playing so many nice amps has left me incredibly torn. I spent 10 minutes with each mesa and was able to get awesome basic clean/crunch/heavy sounds, even the dual rectifier had great cleans/crunch. The EQ was definitely fussy, but it allowed me to take each setting I had and tweak it to sound more british, bassy, midsy, whatever. Everything had a distinctly "mesa" character that I'm not sure I liked though, moreso on the Roadster and Dual Rec than the Mark V. No matter what I did you could instantly hear "holy **** it's a dual rec" coming out of the speaker. Like I said, not sure if I liked that or not.

I didn't like the JVM at all, sounded like ass imho. I spent the most time with this because I thought it should've sounded better.

I probably enjoyed the Orange's sound the most, though it was lacking in versatility. For some god awful reason there wasn't an MXR 10 band or anything of the sort near by, so I had a hell of a time adjusting the EQ properly after having spent an hour+ on mesas and the JVM. I really loved it for it's british voicing though, I got pretty damn close to some of my favorite tones from bands that used voxs/marshalls/laneys without much tweaking too much.

I'm still looking to play a Mark IV, JSX and maybe a splawn or Laney or two before I start trying to narrow it down, my only decision after today is that the JVM is a nope.
Quote by Handy_Andy

New or used : I have no qualms with going used. But keep it mind I want gear that will outlast me naturally (my family regularly lives to 90+ and I'm a very in shape person/healthy eater) and can survive tossed objects, falling off a halfstack, etc etc.

I seriously read that as you saying you can survive falling off a halfstack and having things thrown at you and I was like wait, what.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
^I have fallen off stage, had things tossed at me and have been tossed off stage. I played in hardcore punk bands in my formative years and it was a rough living.

Edit : Especially when I was the drummer/bassist, they get a lot more abuse for whatever reason.
Anyone got experience/opinions on the Randall RM100? It was their "modular" amplifier.
The aforementioned RM100 has two WGS Veteran 30s and comes with the Randall Modern, Ultra XL, Treadplate, Blackface and 1086 modules :s

Sure sounds like a deal, might be I'll get this and see how it is. GC's pretty friendly about returning used goods, right? I'd have left over money for tubes, modules, modding of modules, etc etc.

Edit: Price is $700 btw
Last edited by Handy_Andy at Apr 8, 2013,
WTF is a 56k?

Oh, is that where you internet and the telephone goes wooo wooo wooo beepbeep?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
It's something that you put in your topic title when you want people to go off topic.
Well, I pulled the trigger on a JCM2000 DSL100w head today, $500 off GC's used website.

Honestly, I hadn't even considered this amp until I played one I found in a non-franchise music store. It got a lot of the british sounds I loved and, surprisingly, it breathed a ton of new live into my POD HD, I hooked it up to the FX loop and used the marshall as a poweramp, it was ****ing awesome sounding in conjunction with the pod's modelling, going through my aforementioned avatar 2x12.

The head I played had been retubed with JJ's + NOS and they were asking $950. I tried to talk them down but I figured it would be cheaper to buy one off GC and retube / service it myself.

I'll probably end up buying a Mesa of some sort down the road, but I'm thinking it'll be to complement my marshall, not replace it. This thing definitely nails british sounds in a way the Mark V and Roadster I played could not.

NAD within a week, GC is usually pretty on spot about getting things shipped out quickly.
Nice. I really like the JCM2000 series. Congrats!

And you still have money for more amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.