Hello everyone!

I wanted to ask all is there a way to check in what kind of a condition is a used pedal? I know that before you buy used gear you should play around with to make sure everything works and all that but it sure is a bummer when something starts to go wrong after a week or so after you've bought the pedal.

So my question is, how can you make sure that the used pedal is reliable and how can you be sure that something wont break down after a week or two?
short answer: you can't.

things you can look for is that all the switches work perfectly and do what they're supposed to do without any weird noises, all the pots rotate evenly and don't crackle or cut out. and wiggle around the pedal to make sure that the jacks aren't cutting out.

past that, not much more you can do.
Buy from somewhere with a guarantee (ie Guitar Center)
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
^^Those things.

Also, if you get a chance to open it up, a quick visual scan to make sure there are no obvious defects, loose wires, damaged components, etc.
Quote by tas38
Buy from somewhere with a guarantee (ie Guitar Center)

There's no guitar center in Latvia and also no guitar store that sells used gear. The only way to get used pedals is through advertisements.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
short answer: you can't.

things you can look for is that all the switches work perfectly and do what they're supposed to do without any weird noises, all the pots rotate evenly and don't crackle or cut out. and wiggle around the pedal to make sure that the jacks aren't cutting out.

past that, not much more you can do.

Thanks for the in-depth answer!
brand is a lot. knowing the brand gives you personal info on the build quality. buying a used pedal you have never known about is a risk.

aside from that, if you know what the pedal is trying to do to your tone, you can atleast tell if it sounds good. then check knobs (turn smoothly), nothing is loose, jacks are good, and switch is good. it takes power well.

thats about it. i am very hesitant to buy a used pedal i know nothing about. i did one time. a BBE two timer. got it him and it worked for 2 hours. returned.

could have been a lemon, but ill probably never buy a BBE again. it looked prestine. that, and i dont really like BBE effects anyways...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)