I've been playing as a righty for about 10 year despite being left handed.

I went to college, learned/played jazz for 3 years but... I never really practiced.

A year later I'm kicking myself because that was the time to get as good as I could possibly be. I have absolutely no time to play regularly now.

But it dawned on me recently... what I did learn at college is I learned how to learn the guitar the right way.

Then I started to think, what if I just relearn the guitar as an actual lefty guitar player? With the proper technique and nowhow I wouldn't develop any of the bad habits that slowed me down while learning as a rightly.

As far as learning, I believe people learn the quickest when they're roughly 18 and it goes downhill as you get older. I'm 21, so I figure I still have a few more good years left. I'm hoping I could pick up the guitar left handed quicker then I could originally pick up it up the righty way.

Thoughts?

inb4 it's a waste of time

tl;dr: Too bad. You're missing out on a potentially scintillation discussion
I figured someone would say that.

But I also had to learn piano as part of my studies. I got pretty good at it, and I attribute that to the fact that I didn't know how to play piano before learning it.

In other words if I'm trying to learn something new on the guitar, I'll get bored and start to noodle on more fun/easier stuff and waste valuable time. On the piano I wasn't able to do that so I was physically forced to practice.
Have fun wasting a shit load of your time.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Its not a waste of time at all, its an amazing brain exercise. You should learn lefty and righty together, then when you play either of them you will be able to think about both hands on much greater levels. Piano players do it inherently since they use both hands but guitarists dont have to think like that, so you have to come up with ways to unlock the other half of your brain.
Quote by Wininacan
Piano players do it inherently since they use both hands but guitarists dont have to think like that

So wait... guitarists don't use two hands?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by E7#9
Yeah I figured someone would post something like that too.

Not a fan of MAB.

*nitro*

nuff said

oh goddamn that's bad
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by theogonia777

guitarists dont spend enough time thinking about both hands equally, since you are doing two completely different tasks, and you are only seeing the notes from one perspective.
I wish you had a friend on UG whose account name is A-7

Maybe another kid Bb7#11 tries to hog up your shit all the time

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 31, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777

Perhaps not the best way to word it, but I certainly understood what he meant.

Even if you could finger pick like nobodies business your picking hand is no way on the same level as development as your fretting hand when comparing both hands of a piano player.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I wish you had a friend on UG whose account name is A-7

There's gotta be. Using a chord symbol as a username can't be all that original
Quote by MakinLattes
It's your time and money. Go for it.

You could say the same about anything, you only get out what you put in.
Quote by E7#9
I've been playing as a righty for about 10 year despite being left handed.
I do that too. It might have been alright if you just started and couldn't learn any techniques, but you've been playing for 10 years, so aren't. Once you learn that technique with one hand, I'm pretty sure it's impossible (and of course pointless) to force it onto the other. Quit trying to change it and just accept it. There are things we lefties just do better right handedly.
Quote by E7#9
what I did learn at college is I learned how to learn the guitar the right way.

What the hell is this sentence?

Lastly:
tl;dr: Too bad. You're missing out on a potentially scintillation discussion
If people don't want to read your long post, that's your problem, not theirs. Quit teasing people like a dick, bro.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
What the hell is this sentence?

I mean that I learnt some good strategies on how to improve my playing but I never actually applied it. Hence the learning how to learn
Quote by E7#9
Perhaps not the best way to word it, but I certainly understood what he meant.

Even if you could finger pick like nobodies business your picking hand is no way on the same level as development as your fretting hand when comparing both hands of a piano player.

But like... it's a guitar. You're not supposed to be able to make the same kind of motions with one hand as you are with the either. Each hand has a specialized role. That being said, a guitarist could certainly gain that much dexterity in each hand. Haven't you ever heard of touchstyle guitar? But like I said, this is really not what the guitar is designed for, so there is no reason to me able to get your picking hand to move like that.

Quote by Wininacan
guitarists dont spend enough time thinking about both hands equally, since you are doing two completely different tasks, and you are only seeing the notes from one perspective.

I mean, that's kind of the whole point of the instrument. Each hand is specialized to performing a specific task.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Mar 31, 2013,
I had an ex that gave me her guitar to tune that she ended up never touching again. It was left handed and I'm right handed. Just for fun I learned to play left handed and it really doesn't take that long to readjust playing with different hands. It might be faster for you to readjust hands since your naturally left handed.
you're never as free as when you are lost
Last edited by GuitarQ33r0 at Mar 31, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777

I mean, that's kind of the whole point of the instrument. Each hand is specialized to performing a specific task.

Actually I think I'm going to tread back on my last statement...

I guess if you could fingerpick like nobodies business each finger would require a certain amount of independence from one another much like the hands of a piano player so in that respect I guess they are similar.

Like a "rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time" kind of thing but on an insane level.
Play the way that is most comfortable to you.
Bad habits are fixable.
Piano and guitar are different and skills(muscle memory) are not transferrable.
As for learning, the younger the better. I started at 15 but I wish I was younger.
Lastly we play for enjoyment. Aim only to be better than your previous self.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I was playing for around about 5 years before i started getting lessons. It helped that he was a jazz man, as it kind of got me interested in the style (i am still weak at playing jazz, but i appreciate it more), and he made me realize that certain aspects of my technique were good, but in general, the way i played was limiting and impractical, and so i just forced myself to keep my hand in the right position (thumb in the middle of the neck unless it was necessary).

I would say it would take longer for you to learn the instrument the other way around than to make adjustments to your current technique, because even though you might know the theory, etc. it would take a while to build up the strength and co-ordination.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Apr 1, 2013,
do it yolo
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by E7#9
I figured someone would say that.

But I also had to learn piano as part of my studies. I got pretty good at it, and I attribute that to the fact that I didn't know how to play piano before learning it.

In other words if I'm trying to learn something new on the guitar, I'll get bored and start to noodle on more fun/easier stuff and waste valuable time. On the piano I wasn't able to do that so I was physically forced to practice.

Yeah, except for the fact that you didn't have to spend months retraining your muscles on piano.

Quote by E7#9
Actually I think I'm going to tread back on my last statement...

I guess if you could fingerpick like nobodies business each finger would require a certain amount of independence from one another much like the hands of a piano player so in that respect I guess they are similar.

Any decent piano player would tell you that's a bad idea. You wouldn't play the trumpet and then go, "Hey, now I can play sax", would you? No, because learning skills on one instrument doesn't mean those skills transfer over to another instrument.

Your logic on this matter is terrible.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 1, 2013,