Hi guys.

I have done a lot of research about the Axe FX II and it certainly looks and sounds fantastic.

I have a few questions regarding how it can be used. I'm not asking for specifically how to create tones or anything, more how the unit would integrate with what I already have for both live and home usage.

1. Currently I have a Peavey 6505 and a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab. Can the Axe FX be played through the cab without requiring any additional units (pre/power amps etc)?

2. If so, is there any reason why I would want to keep my 6505 (assuming I am happy with the Axe FX's 6505 model)?

3. I also have a pedalboard, containing a Morley Bad Horsie II wah, a Boss NS2, a Korg Pitchblack, an Ibanez TS9, a TC Electronic Dreamscape and a TC Electronic Flashback X4. I assume that with the Axe FX I would have no need for the NS2 or the Pitchblack, but I am uncertain about the TS9, Dreamscape or Flashback. Can these be used together with the Axe FX? Is there any reason I would want to use them with the Axe FX? Or are the effects in the Axe FX simply much easier to use while being contained within one unit.

4. I assume that it can be used completely independently of any other musical equipment, in that I could plug my guitar into it, plug the Axe FX into my computer and play through headphones/speakers.

5. Probably the biggest question I have is how much of my current gear would become redundant if I were to buy an Axe FX.

Thanks in advance for any answers
I'm thinking about buying an Axe Fx too. I already have a fairly flat response stereo cabinet, a stereo power amp and powered monitors so I won't have to buy anything else to use it. I like the idea of a one box creative tool where I can come up with sounds my current rigs don't have, record it or play it live but I sure can't imagine it will replace my "real" amps. I'm not selling anything.
I've never owned one, but the Grammy-winning guitarist Larry Mitchell brought one when he stayed the weekend at my place. It's just a preamp from what I gathered and you will need a power amp to pair with it if you plan on running it through a cab. We ran it through the "return" jack on my Quick Rod, you can do the same with your 6505. Peavey built a hell of a tube power amp in the early 90s, the Classic series (not to be confused with the Classic guitar amps). Mine was the 60/60 model and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whenever Larry played out with it he plugged it straight into the house PA and ran it like that. No cab or dedicated power amp needed.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I'm interested in Axe fx as well. You will need a power amp though. You can plug the output of the Axe Fx into your 6505's effects return or get a dedicated power amp.

Anyone who's familiar with the Fractal gear know when the next version will be release? I don't have the money or need to buy one now, but it might be interesting to see what they release in the future.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Random3
Hi guys.

I have done a lot of research about the Axe FX II and it certainly looks and sounds fantastic.

I have a few questions regarding how it can be used. I'm not asking for specifically how to create tones or anything, more how the unit would integrate with what I already have for both live and home usage.

1. Currently I have a Peavey 6505 and a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab. Can the Axe FX be played through the cab without requiring any additional units (pre/power amps etc)?

2. If so, is there any reason why I would want to keep my 6505 (assuming I am happy with the Axe FX's 6505 model)?

3. I also have a pedalboard, containing a Morley Bad Horsie II wah, a Boss NS2, a Korg Pitchblack, an Ibanez TS9, a TC Electronic Dreamscape and a TC Electronic Flashback X4. I assume that with the Axe FX I would have no need for the NS2 or the Pitchblack, but I am uncertain about the TS9, Dreamscape or Flashback. Can these be used together with the Axe FX? Is there any reason I would want to use them with the Axe FX? Or are the effects in the Axe FX simply much easier to use while being contained within one unit.

4. I assume that it can be used completely independently of any other musical equipment, in that I could plug my guitar into it, plug the Axe FX into my computer and play through headphones/speakers.

5. Probably the biggest question I have is how much of my current gear would become redundant if I were to buy an Axe FX.

Thanks in advance for any answers

1. No, it needs a power amp.

2. Yes, it sounds better

3. You can use them, sure, but the effects in the Axe are some of the best I've ever heard. If you use a lot of effects, its worth the price just for those (though I'd probably go for an Ultra in that case).

4. Yes

5. All of it except for the amp, because the Axe FX still can't replace a good amp in realism, but you'll gain a huge flexibility in effects.

Have you considered a Kemper?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers for the responses guys, no I have not heard of Kemper, just googled it and it appears to be a similar unit which I will take a look at.

Ok am I understanding this correctly, so in order to run the Axe FX through my cab I could run it through the power amp of my 6505, which I would achieve by plugging the Axe FX output into the 6505 FX return.
Correct.

If I remember correctly, the 6505 doesn't have a very clean power amp and utilizes a lot of cross talk to get part of that 6505 tone. I have no idea how well it'll sound as a dedicated power amp. I'm probably wrong about that so take it with a grain of salt

EDIT: I believe I'm partially right. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/49206-wiring-axe-fx-ultra-w-peavey-6505-power-amp.html

Quote by Jamie Thompson
Hello! I use my Axe FX II into my Peavey 6505. You'd generally run the Axe output into the return socket of the Peavey FX loop. Bear in mind only the presence and resonance controls will work, you will have to adjust the volume via the output knob of the Axe.

You can get good results using the Peavey as a power amp, it does colour the sound however and definitely has that sort of stiff 6505 feel.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by MatrixClaw
1. No, it needs a power amp.

2. Yes, it sounds better

3. You can use them, sure, but the effects in the Axe are some of the best I've ever heard. If you use a lot of effects, its worth the price just for those (though I'd probably go for an Ultra in that case).

4. Yes

5. All of it except for the amp, because the Axe FX still can't replace a good amp in realism, but you'll gain a huge flexibility in effects.

Have you considered a Kemper?

Agreed with everything. The Axe's effects will kill anything you own. Some of the best reverbs and delays I've ever heard. I do wanna try a Kemper out soon though after I finish dumping all of my stuff. If I like it, awesome, if not, I'll grab another Axe.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Random3
Cheers for the responses guys, no I have not heard of Kemper, just googled it and it appears to be a similar unit which I will take a look at.

Ok am I understanding this correctly, so in order to run the Axe FX through my cab I could run it through the power amp of my 6505, which I would achieve by plugging the Axe FX output into the 6505 FX return.

I owned the Axe FX II for 7 months and work with a friend who's a dealer. They are good sounding units, but VERY complicated. Coming from a real amp, especially something like the 6505 that sounds great where ever you turn the knobs, it has a very steep learning curve. The modeling has certainly improved since the Ultras release, in fact, the low to mid gain amps are exceptionally accurate, but the high gain was always lacking. Very hollow and odd sounding midrange that means you have to compensate a lot with EQ. When I had my Axe, I still found myself using my 5150 quite a bit.

On the flip side, I switched to a Kemper and it has never ceased to amaze me. The controls are far more intuitive, and while you can certainly edit patches in depth like the Axe, but every knob reacts just like you think it would. The effects aren't as good as the Axe and the routing isn't as extensive, but a profile that's been done properly is indistinguishable from the real thing. I thought the Axe would kill my GAS for anything else, but I still found myself wanting more. I haven't touched my 5150 since I got the Kemper.

Both are very good units, don't get me wrong, but you owe it to yourself to weigh the pros and cons of both if you're going to be spending that kind of money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Larry had a lot of trouble getting his Axe FX II to sound like my Quick Rod on any gear... running through the QR's power amp. He got kinda close on Gear 2 OD1 but it was noticeably different. Not saying the Axe sounded bad by any means though.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by MatrixClaw
I owned the Axe FX II for 7 months and work with a friend who's a dealer. They are good sounding units, but VERY complicated. Coming from a real amp, especially something like the 6505 that sounds great where ever you turn the knobs, it has a very steep learning curve. The modeling has certainly improved since the Ultras release, in fact, the low to mid gain amps are exceptionally accurate, but the high gain was always lacking. Very hollow and odd sounding midrange that means you have to compensate a lot with EQ. When I had my Axe, I still found myself using my 5150 quite a bit.

On the flip side, I switched to a Kemper and it has never ceased to amaze me. The controls are far more intuitive, and while you can certainly edit patches in depth like the Axe, but every knob reacts just like you think it would. The effects aren't as good as the Axe and the routing isn't as extensive, but a profile that's been done properly is indistinguishable from the real thing. I thought the Axe would kill my GAS for anything else, but I still found myself wanting more. I haven't touched my 5150 since I got the Kemper.

Both are very good units, don't get me wrong, but you owe it to yourself to weigh the pros and cons of both if you're going to be spending that kind of money.

I have both units, and for pure amp tones, I really like the Kemper (The amp models in the axe are no slouch though). I'm waiting for that built in poweramp to be released as an addon, and I'll be happy. However, I find myself using the Axe more just because of the effects, heck I even use it with my real amps all the time! But once I get that poweramp, I'm sure I could make do with a small pedalboard in the loop!

You can get the kemper from Sweetwater or AMS on a payment plan, and return it within 30 days if you don't like it, and go for the Axe. Either way, I think it'll work.

It's funny though, I've never liked the 5150/6505 in person, but I like every amp model of it, ever, haha!

There are plenty of people who are satisfied with both units, I'm sure that at this price point, you really have to try both to figure out which one you want.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Apr 1, 2013,