Alright folks, two questions here.

Firstly, I'm doing a music assignment for uni right now where I have to review two albums, one pop/rock and one classical.
I've got the pop/rock sorted, but does anyone know of any decent classical albums that have been recently released?
I need something that is preferably by one artist or orchestra, in other words, something that is not a compilation of different artists performing. And it would need to be in your typical western classical style.

Secondly, while I've already attended lectures on the subject and I have a pretty good understanding of it, I want a different perspective and opinion here, so does anyone have any idea of what makes a good review? Or a link to some really good ones?
I dunno, I like John Williams (classical guitarist, not composer) performing Bach's Lute Suites, or the duet album with him and Julian Bream called "Together". It's all western classical music.
This guy called Chopin I hear is the shit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I'm sorry, but I've seen a lot of these kinds of threads over the years regarding weird music assignments, and I just finally have to say: ya'll have some retarded classes

Seriously, what is all this bs "music" assignments that have nothing to do with understanding music or being more proficient at it?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm sorry, but I've seen a lot of these kinds of threads over the years regarding weird music assignments, and I just finally have to say: ya'll have some retarded classes

Seriously, what is all this bs "music" assignments that have nothing to do with understanding music or being more proficient at it?
I'm sure a person of any art major can look at assignments offered in their field for core curriculum required classes and feel the same way.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah, that was my first thought at first.
Basically, it's a Musicology course that I'm doing. It's headed by two musicologists, one a professional music reviewer, who set the assignment to get us to think more critically about the music we're listening to, and to be able to deconstruct it to be proficient at th analsys of other music we come across in the course.
Quote by The Madcap
I'm sure a person of any art major can look at assignments offered in their field for core curriculum required classes and feel the same way.

I've never once gotten an assignment that was even close to how irrelevant and useless the ones I've seen asked about on UG

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Morphogenesis26
A Classical album? You mean, like, a compilation of classical pieces or smthn?

Effectively, it would be awesome if it was say, one artist performing a bunch of classical tunes, rather than a variety of different artists performing a bunch of classical tunes.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I've never once gotten an assignment that was even close to how irrelevant and useless the ones I've seen asked about on UG

It's cuz most of the 'i gots an asignmint' threads are just guises
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh hi Joshua, I like your name.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Oh hi Joshua, I like your name.

I wonder why?
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse