Right now, I own a Epiphone G-400 Custom (3x humbuckers... great guitar, shitty wiring though).

I'm into guitars with warmer tones... so strats are out... agiles are out as well, for the same reason. I looked into Godins (I'm located in Canada) before I remembered that I've always wanted a Washburn. However, I guess I'll look into Ibanez too.

Like I said, I want that warmer tone (can use the bridge pickup for twang).

Any rec. for a good Washburn/Ibanez under $500?
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 1, 2013,
Well... everything from Incubus to Grizzly Bear. So alternative mostly.
(more Grizz lately, though... I really like their tone. see: while you wait for the others
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4jZeGUFzI brilliant song, love the chorus)

No metal really, at all. At least not the shredding type. Every once in a while I'll get heavy but its mostly crunchy rhythm (OD, not dist).

Dig the warm sound, I'd like a Washburn with humbuckers (most that I've seen have them).

My G-400 is pretty versatile but I have my heart set on a Washburn.
sigless
if you want a good washburn that are relatively easy to find, look at X50 Pro's or my favorite would be go for a washburn Jon Donais's Face-Eraser. i am not a fan of sig models, but for not a whole lot more you can get something a lot better.

i owned an X50 and an X50Pro, as well as a Dime V Pro, a WG248 (killer ibanez knockoff, but the bridge isn't the best. i also owned a WG587 7 string. all i purchased for under $300 brand new. i kind of got to liking them when i started playing. i have one dime signature left, and all the others are gone.

the major downside is if you get it and don't like it, they are hard as hell to sell. it took me a long time to move them out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The amazon link that I posted in my second post was to an RX50... know anything about the RX series?

I don't often sell my guitars, so I'd like to get something that I could sit on for a while. What did you grow to dislike about the x50s (that drove you to sell them)?
sigless
Quote by sysD
The amazon link that I posted in my second post was to an RX50... know anything about the RX series?

I don't often sell my guitars, so I'd like to get something that I could sit on for a while. What did you grow to dislike about the x50s (that drove you to sell them)?

i had like 30+ guitars in my possession at the same time. sold like 20 and now i am in the low 20's. thats why.

i don't know anything about the RX50. historically washburns has had a few lapses in quality here and there.

the X50's were fine. nice playing instrument, but the stock pickups are terrible. liscensed floyds are shitty.

personally if i were to do it again i would go ibanez. i did.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Thread title changed. You're clearly an ibanez person.
I've always liked the feel of Washburns but if there's a good reason to get an Ibanez, I will.

The RX50 seems to use Duncans... I've never really bothered learning too much about pickups other than the difference in sound between single/double coil. Are duncans shitty?

Any recommendations, anyone??
sigless
Quote by AvengedReno
I've heard that the washburn wi64 is good it has vcc which is like coil tap.

i had the WI64D. forgot about that one. it was the natural body distressed version. it wasn't bad, but the VCC doesn't to a whole lot. at the time i unsoldered that and threw on regular pots in there for tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've found zero information on the net about the rx50.
sigless
Quote by sysD
I've found zero information on the net about the rx50.

doesn't surprise me.

honestly i would get something else.

if you are hell bent on owning one get it i guess
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
the x50 has duncan usm pickups which are pretty high gain so they aren't fit for music like grizzly bears. Are duncans shitty? No, because they have a variety of pickups for different genres. Why don't you have a look at the washburn idol series, they are good quality for the price.
I suppose that if I need to pay up to $750 to get the tone I'm looking for, I'll do that. No sense in buying a guitar that I'm just going to get sick of in a couple of months.
sigless
Quote by AvengedReno
I found this review of the rx50 if it helps

www.chorder.com/electric-guitars/washburn/rx-50-3299/

Yeah I saw that, lol. The star rating is somewhat helpful... was surprised at the low quality rating; I heard Washburns were supposed to be well made.
The written review is bull tho... its bot generated - "Following review text is verbal representation of numerical rating information"

One other reason I want an extra guitar is because I'm doing an overhaul of my G-400... neck pickup keeps cutting out, even after I sent it in for repair. I'm going to be swapping the electronics and need something to play while I tinker with it.
Every guitar I've had has lasted me at least four years of steady playing. I'd like the next addition to do the same.
sigless
there is 1 on amazon for £311 I don't know how much that is in dollars though
Without anecdotal info on the rx50 (eg. reviews), I guess its off the table. I could probably walk into a store to check one out... but I usually count on reviews so that people can inform me as to any less obvious problems.

I'll take a look at the Idols. Will they give me that grizzly sound? :p
The amazon page didn't have info on the pickups... I'll do some research.

edit - there's a whole series of idols... this might take a while... lol
sigless
btw I have a washburn and I got it because I heard that they are well made but I was very dissapointed with the quality but I think it might have been a factory defect because a lot of people have said that they are good quality.
Quote by sysD
I suppose that if I need to pay up to $750 to get the tone I'm looking for, I'll do that. No sense in buying a guitar that I'm just going to get sick of in a couple of months.

why are you looking for washburn seeming inclusively? washburn has nothing that most other companies have. godin makes good guitars, i bought one of my ibanez prestige models for under $500 ($487 IIRC) used off of used.guitarcenter.com better than any washburn i have owned. jackson makes some good stuff.

besides the pickups and electronics , you probably wouldn't be able to hear much difference. they are all out of similar body woods, some different. most having same fretboard material. on a blind test i could practically guarantee you couldn't pick one out amongst similar LTD's schecters, etc. on a blind test.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The idols are pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.lamusic.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=washburn+idol

I'm going against Ibanez for the moment because I hear they have tiny necks. And I have massive hands.

I guess I want a washburn because the few times I've picked one up, it just felt right.
And that time, instead of buying it (as my first guitar) I got a Fender Strat Pack. MISTAKE.

I guess I'll open my mind, though. I'll check out some of these other brands. If you have any rec., throw em out.
sigless