I was in the market for a new guitar and was hoping that the UG community might be able to help me decide.

Budget - Under $900 for both the amp and guitar, though I can go around $50 or so above this price if it's really worth it

Favourite Artist - I'm a big fan of Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera and Kreator. So these are the type of tones I'm trying to replicate. Pretty much thrash/speed metal in general, but I'd also like a decent/slightly below average clean sound as well.

Preferences - I really like Flying V, Explorer and Super Strat shaped guitars. But I really don't like the Les Paul Shape. I'm not too sure about any of the other things though.

Pickups - Humbuckers, I'm fine with active or passive.

New or Used - Either one is fine. But I'm mostly likely to order from Guitar Center or Musicians Friend, so I'd like it to be there.

Location - India, but my friend is coming over from the US soon so I'll be able to ship it to his house and he can bring it over from there. So this way I guess I can use US prices (thank god, prices over here are ridiculous)

Current Gear - Squier Affinity Series Strat and a Roland Micro Cube

Thanks in Advance
Are you going to be playing with a drummer with the amp?

Do you have any idea what kind of necks you like on a guitar? How many frets do you want? Fixed bridge or trem (vintage or fully floating?)?

I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now, but look at this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-DSL40C-40W-All-Tube-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-108261009-i2652512.gc (don't see any used, unfortuantely)

and this guitar http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-RG-3-EX1-RED-FLAME-108816702-i3054019.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92

Do you have any idea what kind of necks you like on a guitar? How many frets do you want? Fixed bridge or trem (vintage or fully floating?)?

I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now, but look at this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-DSL40C-40W-All-Tube-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-108261009-i2652512.gc (don't see any used, unfortuantely)

and this guitar http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-RG-3-EX1-RED-FLAME-108816702-i3054019.gc

+1 pretty much what i was thinking.

the DSL and a comprable ibanez or jackson or ltd.

there are similar ones at similar prices, go check some out and see how they feel for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92

I won't be playing with a drummer on a regular basis, but I might do so on some occasions. So a amp that can cut through a drummer isn't really necessary. I'd like 24 frets, but I'm fine with either a trem or fixed bridge (not to sure about floating or vintage). I'm not to sure about neck profiles though, sorry about that.

Thanks for the suggestions Offworld92 and trashedlostfdup. I'll go check them out.
Last edited by gorsad at Apr 1, 2013,
I think that the JCM 2000 DSL 401 can be had for less than $500 used. I would check that out I have not heard too much about the new DSL series though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Offworld92

That guitar is no better than what the TS currently has. Waste of money buying it. TS Sell your gear and add it to the 900. Get a 500 or better guitar and spend the rest on a good amp and you'll be set for quite a while.
Moving on.....
Quote by bobafettacheese
I think that the JCM 2000 DSL 401 can be had for less than $500 used. I would check that out I have not heard too much about the new DSL series though.

The old DSL combos are totally different beasts than the heads, which is why I didn't recommend an old one. The new ones are the same beast as the new heads. The old ones have EL84s, I believe, and not EL34s and they pretty much suck for high gains (where the heads excel).

Quote by KenG
That guitar is no better than what the TS currently has. Waste of money buying it. TS Sell your gear and add it to the 900. Get a 500 or better guitar and spend the rest on a good amp and you'll be set for quite a while.

He's not going to find anything notably better without significantly raising his budget (unless we can find a better amp that's a lot cheaper). It's a totally different beast than his Squire though, that has merits alone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The old DSL combos are totally different beasts than the heads, which is why I didn't recommend an old one. The new ones are the same beast as the new heads. The old ones have EL84s, I believe, and not EL34s and they pretty much suck for high gains (where the heads excel).

He's not going to find anything notably better without significantly raising his budget (unless we can find a better amp that's a lot cheaper). It's a totally different beast than his Squire though, that has merits alone.

A guitar that retails for less than $200 would be highly questionable at best. That last cheap Ibanez I saw that an aquaintence bought developed a serious neck hump. Other than the HBs vs SC PUs (of which neither model would have decent ones) they are not all that different.
If he's into metal there's decent modelling amps for well under $500 that give him distortion and effects.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 1, 2013,
Peavey vypyr tube 60 used $300ish
LTD H/MH-1000 used $450ish

You could even get a Peavey JSX 2x12, Krank rev 2x12, Krank Chadwick 2x12 for <$600 on guitar centers used site.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well after reading some of the comments I think I'd be able to get better gear if I saved up for a bit longer. In the next 4-5 months I could get some more money. I could definitely have a budget of $1200 by the end of July, would this get me considerably better gear?

For example:
Schecter Omen Active FR

Marshall DSL40C
or
Peavey 6505+112
Last edited by gorsad at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by gorsad
Well after reading some of the comments I think I'd be able to get better gear if I saved up for a bit longer. In the next 4-5 months I could get some more money. I could definitely have a budget of $1200 by the end of July, would this get me considerably better gear?

For example:
Schecter Omen Active FR

Marshall DSL40C
or
Peavey 6505+112

you don't have to do everything at the same time.

if it were me i would choose either amp or guitar (equally needing replacement if not heavy on the amp), and get something better now. wait until you have the remainder left in your account to buy the other.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by KenG
A guitar that retails for less than $200 would be highly questionable at best. That last cheap Ibanez I saw that an aquaintence bought developed a serious neck hump. Other than the HBs vs SC PUs (of which neither model would have decent ones) they are not all that different.
If he's into metal there's decent modelling amps for well under $500 that give him distortion and effects.

Eh? That guitar was at least $300 new. It's almost identical to an RG321, except it has basswood instead of mahogany. And I've had good experiences with all low end Ibanezes (not GIOs. Those suck.).

TS, I would not recommend a 6505 for what you want to play. Way too modern sounding.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by gorsad

For example:
Schecter Omen Active FR

Marshall DSL40C
or
Peavey 6505+112

you can get the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo for $350 everyday used at www.guitarcenter.com/used.

You can get good deals on used guitars also. I really suggest you take a look there you can get better gear than you think for your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
Eh? That guitar was at least $300 new. It's almost identical to an RG321, except it has basswood instead of mahogany. And I've had good experiences with all low end Ibanezes (not GIOs. Those suck.).

TS, I would not recommend a 6505 for what you want to play. Way too modern sounding.

Funny the price I saw in the link was $179.
Moving on.....
I'd go with something from Ibanez and a Line 6 Modeling Amp. You can get something like the Line 6 Spider III 120 for $350. That would leave you $500-$600 for the guitar.

Ibanez guitar's are nice and light without the rounded Les Paul shape. They're also great modern metal guitars. Maybe this one would fit the bill -- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s770pb-electric-guitar?condition=used#used
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
$1200 is enough of a budget boost that you'll be much happier with your eventual purchases.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
you don't have to do everything at the same time.

if it were me i would choose either amp or guitar (equally needing replacement if not heavy on the amp), and get something better now. wait until you have the remainder left in your account to buy the other.

Exactly.

And I'd go amp first- it will probably make your current axe sound better, making it a little easier to be patient on the guitar purchase. If you buy the axe first, you'll be wondering why it doesn't sound a whole bunch better, and you may start to question that purchase...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by robertwilliam9
I'd go with something from Ibanez and a Line 6 Modeling Amp. You can get something like the Line 6 Spider III 120 for $350. That would leave you $500-$600 for the guitar.

Ibanez guitar's are nice and light without the rounded Les Paul shape. They're also great modern metal guitars. Maybe this one would fit the bill -- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s770pb-electric-guitar?condition=used#used

here we go.

Also, i second robb's JSX or Chadwick suggestion.
as for the guitar, I'd go with
a fender heartfield talon
Ibanez S420
Kramer something
PRS SE Singlecut if you don't need the trem
Hmmmm, I see. I prefer the idea of buying the amp now and buying the guitar later than buying both in one go. It would give me a little more time to save up maybe a little more for the guitar. After browsing through most of the suggestions the Peavey JSX seems to be quite highly recommended. A quick search on guitarcenter brought up this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-JSX-212-2X12-COMBO-AMP-108629397-i3000717.gc

But the only thing I'm worried about is the amp seems to be a bit overkill. Currently I rarely put my micro cube past half volume. Would I still be able to get good tones while the amp is at a extremely low volume?

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions so far.
Last edited by gorsad at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by gorsad
Hmmmm, I see. I prefer the idea of buying the amp now and buying the guitar later than buying both in one go. It would give me a little more time to save up maybe a little more for the guitar. After browsing through most of the suggestions the Peavey JSX seems to be quite highly recommended. A quick search on guitarcenter brought up this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-JSX-212-2X12-COMBO-AMP-108629397-i3000717.gc

But the only thing I'm worried about is the amp seems to be a bit overkill. Currently I rarely put my micro cube past half volume. Would I still be able to get good tones while the amp is at a extremely low volume?

One of the pluses on a modelling amp is they provide cranked amp distortion at low levels. For me it's not really the power in watts that's an issue it's the speaker sizes that accompany them. I don't like any speaker smaller than 10 inches minimum and many low powered modelling amps under 15-20W give you an eight inch speaker. That's the reason I went 30W with my VOX, just to get a 10 INCH speaker. You'll also get better bottom end out a closed or mainly closed back speaker cab vs the totally open backed ones.
Moving on.....
Quote by gorsad

Yeah that amp would last you for years of playing a huge variety of styles.

Look on the GC used site for the JSX mini colossal they had one last week. it is a small 15 watt tube combo that sounds pretty awesome for its size. I think it was only $300ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

My 40w Fender HRD combo almost never goes past 4, but I value its cleans, and it is basically a lifetime amp. Tonally, you'll be fine, but if you want harder edge sounds, there's no real substitute for driving a good tube amp at high volumes. Pricier SS amps are getting closer- and there are some players out there whose tones are defined by their use of SS amps- but tubes are generally still preferred.

If you're like me and you want your pedals to do the heavy lifting of shaping your tone, look for something that does cleans well, like Fender, Vox, Peavey, Carvin and so forth.

OTOH, getting an amp voiced for harder stuff will take you deeper into those genres. That's why I'm currently looking at getting an a Orange combo- it will get me places my HRD can't get to.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I might be able to drive the amp sometimes, but just not on a regular basis. I saw the JSX Mini Colossal for 249.99 on guitarcenter but there was no picture with it. Does anyone else have an opinion on the Mini Colossal? As for a guitar, I found an ESP LTD MH-1000 for $500-ish on musiciansfriend. The only problem is it's missing the tremolo arm, would I be able to buy another tremolo arm for a floyd rose 1000 series and ship it with the guitar?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this during a google search, and they ship to India as well. Would that arm fit into a floyd rose 1000 series bridge?
Last edited by gorsad at Apr 3, 2013,
The mini colossal is pretty cool for a small tube amp. There are a few good videos on youtube demoing it.
I was just thinking of it for price sound and transport to india.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KenG
Funny the price I saw in the link was $179.

Well yeah, it was a link to a used guitar...

I thought the Mini Colossal was an SS amp? I don't really know anything about it.

That trem arm should fit, but unless it's one of the first MH-1000s with black hardware, the color won't match (it's extremely hard to find black nickel hardware).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well yeah, it was a link to a used guitar...

I thought the Mini Colossal was an SS amp? I don't really know anything about it.

That trem arm should fit, but unless it's one of the first MH-1000s with black hardware, the color won't match (it's extremely hard to find black nickel hardware).

No it is a 5-15 watt tube amp. really cool JSX style combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Did some research and looked at some youtube videos/comments and most of them seem to say the same thing, the JSX Mini Colossal is a good tube amp but it's not great for metal. This appears to be the general consensus. So I think I'll stick with the bigger JSX Combo, it looks like an amp that will have me set for an extremely long time.
Like stated earlier, don't skimp on the amp because it fits into your budget now. Getting the better amp and the one you want will hold you over much longer than getting something to currently suffice. I would personally get the JSX 2x12, will have a fuller sound and will get into the style of music you are after much easier. I am sure the mini will as well, but it might need a boost.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by gorsad
Did some research and looked at some youtube videos/comments and most of them seem to say the same thing, the JSX Mini Colossal is a good tube amp but it's not great for metal. This appears to be the general consensus. So I think I'll stick with the bigger JSX Combo, it looks like an amp that will have me set for an extremely long time.

I prefer the big JSX also, I was just giving you some options. Yes you will be set for years if you get the JSX 2x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
http://www.yandasmusic.com/h/productid/6088/yamaha-thr10x

These new Yamaha amps are unreal. They are just a little desktop amp, but they sound incredible. I had a chance to play the high gain one and could not believe how good it sounded. Obviously not something you are going to take out gigging, but for an at home practice amp it is fantastic.

Effects sound great too!
Last edited by gtrman336 at Apr 4, 2013,