Page 1 of 3
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/26/creationist-bets-10000-nobody-can-disprove-genesis/

so, since i am a firm believer that genesis didnt happen, i will prove this man wrong as soon as i think of a very legit way of putting it.

if genesis happened when it happened, dinosaurs were around 6,000 years ago. humans and dinosaurs would have lived together, and would have been equal in size do to the earth's oxygen content. stars would be much closer together since the big bang only happened two seconds ago so to speak. the grand canyon wouldnt have had time to erode the way it did.

not only all of that, its highly illogical to think a woman was made from a rib. if god could create a dick, why cant he create boobs? its highly illogical to think god would bring himself down to our planet as a human and tell us all of what he told us the way he did. a god wouldnt have to do that, and working in mysterious ways is such a great cop out.

i will stop there. what does everyone in the pit think about this man and his wager?
The problem is he doesn't want you to disprove Genesis, but rather, change his beliefs.

good luck mate, you're gonna need it.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
i dont need luck. genesis believers need luck cuz thats the only thing they have. they have absollutely zero evidence of anything they believe in. i have as much evidence saying my dick is 12 inches long as anyone has that genesis is correct.
1. Dinosaurs weren't real, God made fossils to test our faith
2. Women was made from a rib
3. Your dick is not 12 inches
I think that to believe something because it can't be proven false is idiotic at best.

I also think that this guy should instead make an effort to provide scientific evidence in favor of Genesis since he believes it to be true.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i dont need luck. genesis believers need luck cuz thats the only thing they have. they have absollutely zero evidence of anything they believe in. i have as much evidence saying my dick is 12 inches long as anyone has that genesis is correct.

Obviously my point went WAY over your head.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
no it didnt, you guys just think that i get mad, how can i be mad when im about to smoke a bowl? im really one of the happiest not mad people i know. but, but but but but, people being ignorant pisses me off so much. why? who cares jesse, get over yourself, well i say nay. it isnt fair that i cant lie to myself and say i will go to heaven when i die.
He'll just deny any evidence people show him. Why waste your time?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Scientists know it didn't happen but the religious are so narrow minded you can't argue with them. Any evidence you show they will simply say it was a test from God.
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
He will never give it up.

It takes guts for someone who has a lot of themselves invested in an idea (in this case through faith) to admit that they are wrong and that they have been "stupid." But this guy has now invested money and his public image on an idea, so he'll be nearly impossible to convince otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, it isn't up to him? Hm, I wonder what court will hear this, as it seems to be a waste of the court's time. Not in the "well duh, he's wrong" sense, but in the "why is this a legal matter? sense.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Apr 1, 2013,
Where is your scientific evidince huh? Also you need to bet 10g's better off going to Vegas.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
did you read the article? it isnt up to him.

Who is the judge? Is it even going to be a real court? It's most likely going to be rigged in his favor.

And you'd have to put up $10,000 yourself. Seems legit.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Genesis claims universe is roughly 6000 years old.

Can date the universe to be as old as 14 billion years old.
Quote by metal4eva_22

Can date the universe to be as old as 14 billion years old.

That's just witchcraft though. It doesn't count.
Also, which Genesis account is he talking about?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Ugh, this is stupid. Some Christians are so annoyingly self-righteous. It can't be proven either way.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
god i hate phil collins. i hate tarzan, i hate the bible. phil collins is the devil.

i have absolutely nothing wrong with christians as people, i judge people based on peoples actions not ideas. but i was at mcdonalds a month ago with my girlfriend and we were just sitting down to eat when this lady walks up and hands us little packets for church and asks me if i believe in god. i then get this feeling... a feeling similar to having the power to nuke a city... i say no. my gf and i then argue with her and her son for over an hour about how evolution is real, the bibles god doesnt, and exist and shes a moron for thinking otherwise.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
god i hate phil collins. i hate tarzan, i hate the bible. phil collins is the devil.

i have absolutely nothing wrong with christians as people, i judge people based on peoples actions not ideas. but i was at mcdonalds a month ago with my girlfriend and we were just sitting down to eat when this lady walks up and hands us little packets for church and asks me if i believe in god. i then get this feeling... a feeling similar to having the power to nuke a city... i say no. my gf and i then argue with her and her son for over an hour about how evolution is real, the bibles god doesnt, and exist and shes a moron for thinking otherwise.

And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Denial and intentional ignorance is an action, not an idea.
Pretty slick with the "must use science" clause. I think the best argument against the creation account in Genesis is the other creation account in Genesis.
#DTWD
ITT: People trying to debate logically with a man who actually put up 10 G's to anyone who could disprove genesis. The dude's going to have a readymade cop-out for everything you sling at him.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
man wagers anyone $10,000 dollars to disprove genesis
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...sprove-genesis/

i will stop there. what does everyone in the pit think about this man and his wager?

I will meet his offer, up the stakes and wager £1,000,000 (and remember a million pounds is more than a million dollars) to anyone who can prove Genesis and disprove the basic theories of abiogenesis and evolution using Mr. Mastropaolo's own rules that state: “evidence must be scientific, that is, objective, valid, reliable and calibrated”.

This isn't the first time that someone has made this kind of offer, the creationist Kent Hovind once said "I have a standing offer of $250,000 to anyone who can give any empirical evidence (scientific proof) for evolution.* My $250,000 offer demonstrates that the hypothesis of evolution is nothing more than a religious belief.
*NOTE: When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:

1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.
3. Matter created life by itself.
4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.
5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals)."

Firstly, he was wrong, points 1 to 3 are nothing whatsoever to do with the theory of evolution, so he is infact offering $250,000 to anyone who can give empirical evidence for something that is not accepted by science.

Secondly, don't you find it strange that a person who is so religious and so against science seeks scientific proof and criticises evolution by calling it "nothing more than a religious belief"... in a way that suggests that 'religious beliefs' should not be taken seriously... and then goes on to try and convince us that we should take the religious belief of creation seriously? The man is obviously either a hypocrite or a complete moron.

Thirdly, I repeated my offer.

In answer to both Hovind and Mastropaolo, I officially announce my own standing offer of £1,000,000 to anyone who can prove that Biblical creationism is correct and that evolution does not exist.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Genesis claims universe is roughly 6000 years old.

No it doesn't. the Book of Genesis doesn't mention when creation was supposed to have taken place. Infact, in a 'literal' translation from the oroginal Hebrew, the first line of the Book of Genesis can be read as saying "In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth, the earth hath existed waste and void...."
So essentialy it says that God 'prepared' the heavens and earth rather than 'creating' them and that also the earth already existed as 'waste and void' when God came along. After all, 'waste' is defined as whatever is left over when everything else of use has been removed, suggesting that if the earth was 'waste' when God came along then it must have once existed as something of value at some point earlier.

That date of 6000 years ago is actualy extrapolated from geneology lists found throughout various books of the Bible which go all the way back to Adam. They often include the age at which each patriarch fathered his named son and the number of years he lived afterwords, thereby giving just enough information for someone to come along and work out when Adam supposedly lived.
One of the first people to do this was the 17th century Archbishop of Armagh (Church of Ireland) 'James Ussher', which is why it is often called the 'Ussher Chronology'. Ussher actualy deduced that the first day of creation began at 'nightfall' (or 'sunset') preceding Sunday, October 23, 4004 BC. (so.... roughly, just after 'tea-time' on Saturday the 22nd of October 4004 BC)
But what Ussher failed to take into account was that even though the Book of Genesis states that Adam was supposedly created on the sixth day of creation, elsewhere in the Bible (2 Peter 3:8–9 to be precise) it states:
"With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." ... which basicaly means that God can manipulate time and make a day be as long or as short as he wishes, and we must also take into consideration that the 'day' itself wasn't created and defined until day 4 of creation in Genesis, so if God can manipulate time and if the day wasn't actualy defined until partway into creation anyway, then according to the Bible, the whole of creation itself could have lasted for practicaly any undisclosed amount of time, ergo, the universe could be any undisclosed age.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
ITT: People trying to debate logically with a man who actually put up 10 G's to anyone who could disprove genesis. The dude's going to have a readymade cop-out for everything you sling at him.

This. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but somebody once said: "the difficult part with arguing against extremists is that they are too experienced in arguing against normal logic." Basically, any extremist will always have more experience arguing against his opponents than a normal person would have arguing against extremists.

Chances are, an extremist will have already fought and contested your arguments against his ideology a hundred times.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 1, 2013,
I am so glad that you brought that up, Slacker. I was going to say the same thing but decided that debates on this sort of thing are really tedious and (almost) pointless.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I will pay anyone $ 10,000 who can disprove the existance of the flying spaghetti monster.

One cannot disprove something that would not be possible to prove if it were real.
You cannot prove the presence of darkness, you can only prove the abstence of light.
This is not a signature
Quote by ErnestoFidel
I will pay anyone $ 10,000 who can disprove the existance of the flying spaghetti monster.

One cannot disprove something that would not be possible to prove if it were real.
You cannot prove the presence of darkness, you can only prove the abstence of light.

Yeah
The usual way of putting it is to say that it's impossible to prove that God, or anything else for that matter, doesn't exist because you "cannot prove a negative". To put it in catchier terms, 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

That is the logical loophole that people like Mastropaolo and Hovind are using to try and make their own point of view seem more valid, but infact it changes nothing because there is still zero empirical evidence to suggest that their point of view is valid in any way at all.
Quote by Waterboy799

I also think that this guy should instead make an effort to provide scientific evidence in favor of Genesis since he believes it to be true.

Nah, if he honestly wanted to find the truth of the matter (which he doesn't) then attempting to falsify one theory or the other is the way to go. If you go out to verify a theory with evidence it's extremely easy to do so. Falsifiability doesn't leave that door open.

Quote by CoreysMonster
This. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but somebody once said: "the difficult part with arguing against extremists is that they are too experienced in arguing against normal logic."

The version of that I know is "Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience".
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by CoreysMonster
This. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but somebody once said: "the difficult part with arguing against extremists is that they are too experienced in arguing against normal logic." Basically, any extremist will always have more experience arguing against his opponents than a normal person would have arguing against extremists.

Chances are, an extremist will have already fought and contested your arguments against his ideology a hundred times.

What if you think that way about everything? It makes me good at chess, or yugioh lol because i have to think each thought out that far, which is why physics and religion are so fun to think about, it goes on forever. Regardless, slackers last part was interesting. If god could do anything though, he would have translated the bible more accurately, and would probably leave us with great knowledge and mathematics. If his plan was for us to discover that ourself, we would surely use it against him. if he created us to sin, then whats the point in that?
Quote by leeb rocks

The version of that I know is "Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience".

That's one of the reasons why I became so interested in religion in the first place, so that I could be just as experienced at their level of understanding as they are in order to make more effective arguments against them.

As Sun Tzu said in 'The Art of War', "Know your enemy".
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
As Sun Tzu said in 'The Art of War', "Know your enemy".

He stole that from Rage Against the Machine
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by fail
He stole that from Rage Against the Machine

Rage Against the Machine were going before 2500 years ago? Dude, it's about time they retired.
Page 1 of 3