Asked this somewhere else amongst a thread, but I thought I'd ask directly here too for opinions on these pickups.

I've heard mixed things about GFS pickups, that they're hit n miss, average, but worth it for the money, and that it's really up to your own personal taste as to whether they're 'good' or not... oh and they're made in China... but hey, what isn't?

I'm looking at the GFS Fat Pat humbuckers for bridge and neck, and a Mean 90 for the middle (yes, my guitar has 3 humbuckers). My current pups are stock hums, the guitar is an Eastwood Guitars Airline 3P DLX (made in Korea) which cost me $900 brand new here in Australia... which is rare, considering you can't normally buy them here (have to ship them over from the States or Canada).

Are GFS pickups, and in particular these ones, any good? For the whole set I'm looking at almost exactly half the price of a Seymour Duncan set of equivalents.

P.S. I play dirty blues rock in a 2 piece band, me and a drummer. I never play clean either
The Fat Pat is a great pickup, but it is only avalable in F spaced
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I find the Fat Pat to be a bit microphonic at high volume. Pretty nice sounding pup though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I find the Fat Pat to be a bit microphonic at high volume. Pretty nice sounding pup though.

So you did end up getting one. I really like the Fat Pat I have in my LP clone, I like it better than the Dimarzio SD I had in it, and I think I like it better than the JB in my SG also. Great pickup for $30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I put some in my Iceman. I like the sound of them but at the sort of volume I play at it tends to get too much microphonic feedback. But you know me, I've been having some problems with real LP Custom pups at the volume I play at too. For most people they're probably fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I acually play a pretty loud volumes, but I do have a MXR Smart Gate in my chain to help out. I think the FP is a pretty damn articulate pickup for being a hot PAF style.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I'd have to say that the LP pups are far less microphonic than Fat Pats. I prefer the sound of the LP pups more too but the Fat Pats are pretty nice sounding for the price. I just wouldn't use them at gigs because I am just too damn loud for them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Fat Pat is a great pickup, but it is only avalable in F spaced

Ah, cheers! I didn't realise that... it doesn't seem to say anything on the GFS website about the spacing? Maybe I overlooked it. I'm not sure what spacing my Airline has, but I would assume it's closer to LP than Fender... why do they only do it in F spacing? LPs are more likely to have humbuckers than Fenders (generalisation, but true)
Don't worry I have the zebra Fat Pat in an old LP clone and the pickup works just fine. the magnet ploes are just a little wider than the actual string spacing. It does nothing at all to the sound, it is mearly cosmetic. I'll post a pic for you so you can see yourself, give me a min or 2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
This is the Fat Pat on a 1970's LP clone bridge position
Attachments:
003.jpg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Fat Pat set. I think they're alright. I don't think they're as good as or better than Duncans or DiMarzios, but I do think they're very fairly priced for what they are. As Cathbard mentioned, my experience has been that they don't handle high volume well. I run a ton of noise suppresion in my rig, and even still they can squeal uncontrollably at drummer volumes.

I'm not sure how helpful I can describe their tone in terms for you. On my JSX I can get an awesome Coheed tone (think In Keeping Secrets) clean and dirty with the B + N selected.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the FAT PATS in my Epi LP.
I like them.
Although I needed to set the height for the bridge really low for my tastes.
But once I did that, I am happy with them.

Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 1, 2013,
I had to insert a resistor to pad down one of the pups (the bridge iirc) in order to balance my two Fat Pats. There wasn't enough height adjustment available to do it and even to get them close the difference in height was ridiculous.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 1, 2013,
Thanks for all the advice guys! Given that GFS pups are obviously not gonna be as good or better than Duncans or DMs (the price range indicates that pretty well!) would these still be an improvement on the stocks of my $900 (at brand new) Eastwood Guitars Airline? I'm assuming the quality of the stocks are probably on par with similar-priced Epiphones...

Other thing is, I don't really want to pay an extra $50 just for old Seymour's branding... if the GFS pups are a solid and 'worth-it' improvement, but not the whole way there in terms of superb name brand quality, then that should do it. What you said though about high volume playing worries me a little... my band is just me and a drummer, and I play ****in LOUD to fill out the sound!
Oh also, I measured my pickups and string spacing... it looks like it's f-spaced anyway (string to string at bridge measures 53mm and pickups centre to centre of poles measures around 41mm)
If you play really loud, I'd look elsewhere.

An almost dimed JTM45 through a 1960A is too much for them. If you are that loud or louder, don't do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 1, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
If you play really loud, I'd look elsewhere.

An almost dimed JTM45 through a 1960A is too much for them. If you are that loud or louder, don't do it.

Hmm... I use a 1959 Single Lead Plexi with a master volume mod, set so it's clean and pretty on the loudness dials but with the master doing all the volume work (depending on how loud I need it)... so I'm never using amp crunch. I'll have a bit more of a think, are there any other affordable-range pickups (by GFS or otherwise) that claim to have a vintagey warm and ballsy tone, but don't squeal like these?

GFS seems to claim that these pickups don't 'squeal'...

from website: "Big fat Alnico Magnets- Vintage style coil windings- black Delrin bobbins, Nickel plated pole-pieces, baseplate engraved with our famous GFS logo- Coil tappable wiring- These are high quality, wax potted pickups. In fact- they're vacuum impregnated- so I can stand in front of my SLO-100 with NO SQUEAL. This is a very round and warm ALNICO magnet humbucker pickup. Bridge pickups are full, fat and HUGe, Neck pickups are loud and bluesy- A terrific set. Wound FAT and HOT- Bridge is 14k Neck 10K"

But if you guys reckon they do, they probably do and they just want to sell em hahah I guess these things depend on personal use and taste
I could claim that my shit don't stink too ..... doesn't mean that it doesn't.

That sentence has no meaning. I can stand in front of my JTM45 too - if I don't crank the volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hahahah that's what I thought!

Or you could stand in front of it totally cranked up... with no speaker cab
The VEH is supposed to be pretty good. Never used one though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X