Dan Rossen (the guitarist) uses a Guild T-50 (a semi hollow) on that song. I don't really know where to point you too in terms of affordable semi hollows in that sort of style but I'd really say that the amp/effects are more important if you want that sort of sound, Dan has a Fender Princeton with quite a bit of reverb. Whats your amp setup like?
Epiphone DOT perhaps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
had a dot studio - sold it for as much as i bought it for. plugged in, it was a piece of crap imo. couldn't be bothered to swap out the pickups either... rooting around inside of the hollowbody for wires was a nightmare.

i use crappy amps and wear em down by using them for vox as well as guitar... right now, using a worn down fender frontman 15watt (shitty i know, but its gotten to a point where it works well with my g400).
i'm hesitant to invest in an amp right now because i'm thinking of just using softamps on my pc. seems a lot more practical than buying a new amp every time i need a diff sound.

fx: dd7 delay, sd1, 535q wah, mxr bass fuzz (use it with guitar)

i've gotta invest in a decent verb.

i was thinking of grabbing a silvertone 1441 (i heard dan uses a 1448 as well) as i found one for sale in my area. however the guy is asking $400. seems a bit much.
i wanted a washburn before but if that's going to happen i need to find a model with the right pickups in order to get the right sound.
ibanez are out for me because the necks are too small.
i was thinking of a melody maker because they're dirt cheap - but they seem to be a one trick pony. so i dunno.
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 1, 2013,
I don't know, but in the videoclip it sounds kinda single-coilish.. very lipstick-ish..
At least to me.. Idk.
I think a Danelectro or a Jazzmaster with the right slapback and reverb would work nicely.
Kenneth
A Melody Maker isn't a one trick pony, but don't get the newer ones with the single humbucker. They can do a variety of sounds, but it has a certain character you always kind of hear.

I think it would work, though.
I have seen the Godin Richmond Belmont new as low as $420 and as high as $800. Seymour Duncan lipsticks in the middle & neck position, and a SD '59 in the bridge- should do the job nicely.

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Interesting. I'll check those out. Any other suggestions?
sigless
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have seen the Godin Richmond Belmont new as low as $420 and as high as $800. Seymour Duncan lipsticks in the middle & neck position, and a SD '59 in the bridge- should do the job nicely.

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

Looks like a great guitar, but its discontinued and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Toronto area.
sigless
Hmm...I can see Belmonts being hard to find, but AFAIK, they're not discontinued- I was asking Michel Belanger of "Support Clients / Customer Support Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars" about them just 2 weeks ago, and he gave no indication this was so.

(And honestly, Godins seem to move slowly off the shelves- I can still find new Velocity guitars online, and that was discontinued in 2011. )

FWIW:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BelmontBk

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BelmontBurg/

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/guitars/electric-guitars/godin-richmond-belmont/prod_6657.html

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/guitars/electric-guitars/richmond-belmont-burgundy-electric-used/prod_6115.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2013,
Thanks for the links. I was hoping to find something in the Toronto area so that I wouldn't have to pay shipping, but its all good. It'll end up being about $850 with shipping, though.

Is there something better around the $800 mark? If I can find it in stores here, I won't have to pay shipping and can therefore get a better guitar.
sigless
Now the question is, what to buy?
250$ Danelectro/Silvertone or *ahum* 700$ Godin
AC30's nice but its not what I need. I'd never be using it at the volumes needed for breakup. Like I said, I'll be using softamps.
sigless
Personally, I think that if you're chasing a tone you should start with the amp choice rather than guitar. What amp are you currently playing through?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've looked into getting an amp but I'm having trouble finding something versatile that'll sound good (with breakup) at room volumes.

There was a piece of hardware out there (I forget what its called) that'll downstep an AC30 so that you can get breakup at lower volumes.
I want to say rectifier but I'm not sure.

edit** - attenuator! that's what I was thinking of.
(eg. hotplate)
sigless
Attenuators work very well, but they aren't needed. There are many good hybrid modeling amps out there. What are you currently playing through?
Danelectro, check. 250$
Fender Excelsior, check. 300$

Tadaaaaa, got a reliable amplifier and guitar!
I could never look myself in the mirror if I bought a piece of gear called Excelsior.

I'm using a worn down frontman 15g (15watt) right now. I've had it for ages and ages and don't see the point in getting rid of it (since it'd only sell for $50 at most). I use it for vox and when I want some muddy-ass guitar tone.

AC30s are just sexy amps. Johnny Greenwood uses one so I seriously considered getting one a couple months ago (with cel. blues). There's no way I'd push it loud enough during home use to get the ideal sound out of it. That thing could kill a train at max volume. That's why the attenuator would be needed for that particular amp. Plus, I'd rather just buy one good amp that I can sit on for the rest of my life, lol.

I heard modelling amps don't really hold a candle to tubes in any way. Am I wrong?

I really want that creamy warm tube sound. I've looked at amps like the vt15 and they're so bright that I feel sick.
WARM TUBES PLZ
sigless
clicked on this thread because i had no idea what you were talking about when you said the grizzly bear sound. i literally thought you wanted your guitar to sound like a bear...

anyways, have you heard of crafter guitars? they had a model similar to this in my local store last year and i loved the hell out of it but could not find a reason to actually own it. though im not very well versed on semi hollows or really dialing in tones like in that vid. my first thought was to get a vox AC30 but i see thats already been brought up. the crafter that was in my store was going for i think $475 so thats right at the end of your price range. it might not be a bad option to consider.

and thanks for posting that vid. never heard of that group before but i actually dug the song quite a bit

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
clicked on this thread because i had no idea what you were talking about when you said the grizzly bear sound. i literally thought you wanted your guitar to sound like a bear...

anyways, have you heard of crafter guitars? they had a model similar to this in my local store last year and i loved the hell out of it but could not find a reason to actually own it. though im not very well versed on semi hollows or really dialing in tones like in that vid. my first thought was to get a vox AC30 but i see thats already been brought up. the crafter that was in my store was going for i think $475 so thats right at the end of your price range. it might not be a bad option to consider.

and thanks for posting that vid. never heard of that group before but i actually dug the song quite a bit

Grizzly Bear is the shit man! Check out their albums, they're all good. Some of its a bit out there, but it grows on you.

I'll check out that link; I've never heard of that brand before.

edit*
it seems crafters are a bit hard to find in canada. i found a few used but they're all acoustics.

edit2**
i'm seriously considering the ac4 or ac15 now. seems decent for home use.
sigless
I think I've settled on the AC15.
Would you guys rec. getting the combo (in case I want to upgrade I can get an extension) or the head with an epi cab? I hear the matching cab is crap.
sigless
Definitely the Combo. It's a lot easier to deal with and lug around. The AC15 is a fantastic amp, too. I think you're going to be WAY happier with a Vox than a different guitar. The amp sounds just as good quiet as aloud, too. There are really 2 or 3 different 'sweet spots' on an AC15.
I just decided to get a bass amp instead. Back in '09 I borrowed one for a few months and played guitar through it. The sound was PHAT.
And I'm going to get a cheapie (less than $400) washburn too :p
sigless
Quote by sysD
I could never look myself in the mirror if I bought a piece of gear called Excelsior.

But you're playing through computers and Frontmans, how gay is that?

The Excelsior is quite "limited", they're getting sold at a quite fast rate. Many reviews state that they're quality-wise as good as Blues Jr.'s, only they cost 300$.

So the point is, this Excelsior is MADE to give you that crunchy-like 60's sound and it got a very good lows. Go look for reviews of it, there are plently of them with 4,5/5!