During my spring break i hooked my 15 watt fender frontman up to a line 6 spider IV which is 30 watts. the fender acted as a head as the line 6 acted as a cabinet.; I'm wondering if i could buy a cabinet and use the fender or line 6 as a head. In theory it would work but was does the UG community think.
In theory, it could work. Not practically though.

I'm assuming that you ran the Headphone out of the Fender into the Aux jack of the Line 6. What that is effectively doing is using the Fender as a mixer (setting the equalization, level, etc) and the Line 6 as a power amp (just used to amplify signal, no tone coloring)

Edit:
For what you want to do though, if you try that method, the cab will be tremendously under powered and nothing will come out of it (assuming you're still using the headphone jack). To effectively make the Fender a head, you would need to disconnect the speaker in it and make a speaker jack for that. But that too would be ineffective as you'd need to find a 15 watt speaker that runs at whatever impedance that the Fender puts out.

TL;DR: If you're fine with running with the Line 6 as a power amp, keep on doing that. If you think you need more power, then start investing in a new amp rather than trying to beef up a tiny practice amp.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Last edited by thebestjoe at Apr 1, 2013,
You stand to gain nothing from this setup.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by thebestjoe
In theory, it could work. Not practically though.

I'm assuming that you ran the Headphone out of the Fender into the Aux jack of the Line 6. What that is effectively doing is using the Fender as a mixer (setting the equalization, level, etc) and the Line 6 as a power amp (just used to amplify signal, no tone coloring)

Edit:
For what you want to do though, if you try that method, the cab will be tremendously under powered and nothing will come out of it (assuming you're still using the headphone jack). To effectively make the Fender a head, you would need to disconnect the speaker in it and make a speaker jack for that. But that too would be ineffective as you'd need to find a 15 watt speaker that runs at whatever impedance that the Fender puts out.

+1

in order to do what you want, you'd have to facilitate some way of matching the speaker impedances and allowing for multiple speaker outs.

not worth it for such cheap amps.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The first three posters pretty much nailed it. I'm not sure what would be gained by doing this.

Get a Raven cabinet and you'll have the trifecta.

Seriously. Spend your free time doing odd jobs or something. Sell your Frontman and Spider. Don't waste money on an unnecessary cab and buy a read amp.