So I've been to every guitar shop in the area and no one carries 6 string baritone strings. No one carries extended scale 7 string sets either. I need to replace the strings on the baritone I just got, it has a 28" scale length and it's string through with a long 6 in-a-line headstock. I imagine the strings I would need should be at least 38 inches long. I'm about to order some strings online, but if someone can tell me how long a typical guitar string is out of the package, maybe some brand of guitar strings will fit?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
they don't need to be baritone strings specifically. baritones usually start at 13-early 60ss and go up from there. and they usually have a wound 3rd. any jazz set'll do ya.

and i've never heard anything about guitar strings being too short out of the packet.

or you can buy online: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com they've got pretty much everything imaginable. and i think it's free shipping for orders over $50.
Buy a packet an try.

When i'm throwing strings onto my 25.5" guitar with an inline headstock I usually have to cut off about a solid 20-30cm as waste anyway. It'll be fine.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

2 and a half inches off normal? Should be fine, make sure the strings you pick up are pretty thick. You might struggle to get enough winds in.
I don't understand using baritone strings on a baritone guitar at all.

The point of a baritone guitar is to increase your tension via increasing the scale length.

Baritone strings increase tension by being thicker.

These ideas compliment each other, not balance each other out. So using baritone strings on a baritone would give you a shit****ton of tension. For what? The point of the baritone guitar is to use normal strings to tune lower with the same tension as using the same strings on a shorter scale length.

Are you trying to tune an entire octave lower or something?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^I think he's worried about the string not being physically long enough, which as I said earlier, shouldn't be an issue.

If it's string gauge then by god, you must have the finger strength of 1000 gods if you want to play with such high tension.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

use your favorite gauge. win.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Yeah, I'm not talking about string gauges here guys, I'm talking about length. I don't have any regular strings lying around to see how long they are, but I need really long strings for this guitar. I don't want to waste $7 or whatever on a pack of 14-72 strings to find that they don't fit and then I wont really be able to put the strings on another guitar. Does anyone have a regular brand new guitar string they can measure for me?
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
A google of "D'Addario string length" found that all their strings are 39" (1m) long.

Really, you couldn't google it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by xXBansheeXx
Yeah, I'm not talking about string gauges here guys, I'm talking about length. I don't have any regular strings lying around to see how long they are, but I need really long strings for this guitar. I don't want to waste $7 or whatever on a pack of 14-72 strings to find that they don't fit and then I wont really be able to put the strings on another guitar. Does anyone have a regular brand new guitar string they can measure for me?

my answer still stands.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Cathbard
A google of "D'Addario string length" found that all their strings are 39" (1m) long.

Really, you couldn't google it?

I literally googled every major brand except D'Addario! I've never tried their strings, I've always been a GHS guy. Haha, well maybe I'll have to try them since they're the only company so far that lists their string length!
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
I've got nothing bad to say about D'Addario. They make a fine string.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've got nothing bad to say about D'Addario. They make a fine string.

My only gripe is that I think D'addario is the most "counterfeited" string. I've even got some counterfeit batches from big chain stores, lol! Luckily D'addario/Planet waves sent me new, legit packs, haha!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I love D'Addario. I've tried every other major brand and none of them cut it for me in comparison. They just feel and sound great to me. I'll take Dunlop as a 2nd choice just because I like them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I play no-name strings. I don't change them anywhere near enough so they all sound the same to me once they're all black and rusty.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

Quote by xXBansheeXx

You really need that thick strings on 28" scale guitar? Those strings are thick enough to make 24.75" scale guitar go Drop Ab.

They are baritone strings, but in a sense that they allow normal guitar to reach baritone tunings with good tension. Actual Baritone guitar shouldnt need even nearly that thick strings AFAIK.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
You really need that thick strings on 28" scale guitar? Those strings are thick enough to make 24.75" scale guitar go Drop Ab.

They are baritone strings, but in a sense that they allow normal guitar to reach baritone tunings with good tension. Actual Baritone guitar shouldnt need even nearly that thick strings AFAIK.

Yeah, my band plays in drop A. We do a lot of Staind/Chevelle/Breaking Benjamin kind of songs and I love having that dark low tuning. I have 13-68 on there now and they're a little light for my taste. I could go lighter, but I like thick, stiff, heavy strings.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by xXBansheeXx
Yeah, my band plays in drop A. We do a lot of Staind/Chevelle/Breaking Benjamin kind of songs and I love having that dark low tuning. I have 13-68 on there now and they're a little light for my taste. I could go lighter, but I like thick, stiff, heavy strings.

I love Drop A too but 13-68 set seems overkill for baritone guitar. Nile uses about that thick strings for Drop A and they do not use baritones. I say if the strings feel spaghetti and you can bend like there is no tomorrow, you have some monster fingers, go for it if you like that. If you have fret buzz issues you need a setup. Putting thicker strings give more tension but those strings also need more room to vibrate and can make the issue worse. According to my own experience anyway as I have played around with different tunings and strings.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 2, 2013,