Page 2 of 3
Quote by Xiaoxi
I like how you've listed everybody in alphabetical order. That's some good OCD right there.

Down to who has capitals and who has not.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
so....has anyone started yet?

looool

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

looool

Yeah, with a rough idea of A and B the first two days since I signed up. But I had to postpone until this weekend. I'm doing some reading on Ternary form and Minuet and Trio.
We're all alright!
Quote by Xiaoxi

looool

You think I've had time to compose anything while I've been carefully checking and rechecking the participants list to make sure everyone's name is spelled properly and everything is in perfect alphabetical order? One thing at a time, one thing at a time.
Well I'm sure I'm done. Recording this weekend.
We're all alright!
Maybe one of us can record it for you?
We're all alright!
Yeah, I totally got too caught up in other stuff to do this. And I'm not sure I can pull it off anymore.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Mathedes
Ohaiguyz. I'll just leave this here.

Well, congrats on being the only person to finish this on time. That is, itself, a pretty impressive feat.

I think this is a good beginner's try at this kind of writing. You more or less followed the form, and I like that the trio contained the quarter - 2 eights - quarter motif from the main idea.

But overall you need to develop a better grasp of tonal harmony and counterpoint. Most of the harmonies in here are not convincing in terms of smooth flow, and that's in part due to the weak melodic qualities in each voice, which brings up another thing. Although the melodic idea had some organization, it's not one that's very musical or compelling. The main idea does not really make a strong statement, and a lot of the parts after that feel a little aimless and just filling out notes for the sake of stretching out time. Every point in the music should have purpose and tangible relevance to the whole.

But again, it's good that you followed through on this project. Now just work on musicality.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sill the 30th here and I've got part of mine done so don't bet on him being the only one to finish on time
Quote by Nietsche
Sill the 30th here and I've got part of mine done so don't bet on him being the only one to finish on time

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I wish I had known about this earlier. I didn't read about this until after work today, however, I did get about a third of a piece done since then, so I might just post it here in a day or two anyway.
Not associated with the people who have dead classical composers for avatars brigade.

Quote by KinkyC
Need help getting through writer's block
Quote by Hail
robitussin
Quote by Xiaoxi

Ok so I didn't finish on time, and I haven't actually got a Trio section. I'll do a botched completion this evening >.>
Quote by Nietsche
Ok so I didn't finish on time, and I haven't actually got a Trio section. I'll do a botched completion this evening >.>

How bout extend the deadline to May 15?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
How bout extend the deadline to May 15?

It happens with basically every other thing similar to this I've been on online anyway. Extended deadline sounds fine to me. I'm not entirely happy with the piece I've got anyway.

Well done to Chuckles and Mathedes for completing theirs before the initial deadline anyway. You win the satisfaction of knowing you aren't as disorganised or lazy as me.
Quote by Nietsche
It happens with basically every other thing similar to this I've been on online anyway. Extended deadline sounds fine to me. I'm not entirely happy with the piece I've got anyway.

Well done to Chuckles and Mathedes for completing theirs before the initial deadline anyway. You win the satisfaction of knowing you aren't as disorganised or lazy as me.

Excellent. You can count me in officially if you are giving an extension.

I know what I'm doing this weekend
Not associated with the people who have dead classical composers for avatars brigade.

Quote by KinkyC
Quote by Hail
robitussin
so.....you guys STILL in this? lol

I'm gonna post mine later tonight I think

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm gonna post mine later tonight I think

I am, I'd kinda feel bad if I didn't finish my own challenge at some point int time >.>
cool...best get to it

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Here's my submission. Pretty much just a simple one night thing...wish I had more time to do something interesting.

http://soundcloud.com/xwanhosting/intermezzo

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Here we are.
Minuet and Trio

If you want to see the score without it playing, mess around with the page buttons at the top and it will display the full page.

It is what it is. I learned a lot writing it, and it's nice to see I've gone from good ideas with terrible execution to good ideas with mediocre execution. I kinda feel it's needs some sort of polish...that to many seams are showing...

Anyway, this was fun. we should do another. A Rondo? Compound Ternary?
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at May 14, 2013,

Hurray for forcibly completing things at the last minute. MIDI file doesn't play Da Capo at the end because I just realised I forgot to write one in the score >.> I should've done a proper recording but then I realised all I have is a terrible computer microphone.
Attachments:
Minuet and Trio in D.mid
Last edited by Nietsche at May 15, 2013,
Quote by Nietsche

Hurray for forcibly completing things at the last minute. MIDI file doesn't play Da Capo at the end because I just realised I forgot to write one in the score >.> I should've done a proper recording but then I realised all I have is a terrible computer microphone.

Dem parallel octaves at 25.

I don't know why, but I always like to find them and point them out, even if they're my own.

Also, is there any alternative to the B and A dissonance at bar 11?

Really liked the piece though, awesome work.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at May 15, 2013,
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Here we are.
Minuet and Trio

If you want to see the score without it playing, mess around with the page buttons at the top and it will display the full page.

It is what it is. I learned a lot writing it, and it's nice to see I've gone from good ideas with terrible execution to good ideas with mediocre execution. I kinda feel it's needs some sort of polish...that to many seams are showing...

I really like this one. Definitely has flaws in terms of flow / motivic coherence like you mentioned with the seams, but it is pretty musical. I like the more current harmonies, though they are sometimes jarring when there's a shift to functional harmony. The main idea is neat and could be even better with a more pianistic texture. The seams are showing because you don't have good transition material to blur between one and the next, so work on that next time. Overall, I thought it was neat

Quote by 20Tigers
That's pretty awesome.

thanks

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I totally meant to do that >.>

(You're talking about bar 35 right?)
Quote by Nietsche
I totally meant to do that >.>

(You're talking about bar 35 right?)

Bar 25, and I believe it repeats again.

TBH, it doesn't even matter in this day and age when stuff like that happens.

The most recent thing I can remember where anyone made a deal about it was when Ravel entered into a music contest and the Judges called him out on a non-functioning tone cluster or 7th chord, and his response was "I felt like it".
Oh yeah, that one is kinda intentional.

Xiaoxi's piece made me wet by the way. Just thought y'all should know.

Hardest part of this whole ordeal for me was coming up with a decent B section. I've written three minuets this past month and a bit so in the end I just tacked on the D minor section to that one. Will spend way more time on this crap over the summer once I've got all my other crap out of the way.
Quote by Nietsche
Xiaoxi's piece made me wet by the way. Just thought y'all should know.

Just listened to it, and it was really awesome.

You should probably get some damn coasters though, your sheet music always has coffee stains and stuff on it.
I didst forget. Now, must this be in a dance form or something? I'll readup on this stuff again if no one answers.

Crap... read the first post and will have to do some reading again. But I will have one eventually. Right now my brain can't function with the outside shit happening. Ah well... nice comps guys
Last edited by evolucian at May 15, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I really like this one. Definitely has flaws in terms of flow / motivic coherence like you mentioned with the seams, but it is pretty musical. I like the more current harmonies, though they are sometimes jarring when there's a shift to functional harmony. The main idea is neat and could be even better with a more pianistic texture. The seams are showing because you don't have good transition material to blur between one and the next, so work on that next time. Overall, I thought it was neat

Yeah, I think I need to work on my B sections. I should throw out the B section in the minuet. It's to unrelated. Sounds more like a prelude anyway. Perhaps I could salvage the B section in the trio if I added a bigger section in Ebm that introduced the 8th note rhythm I have now. I think the 4/4 sections in the trio introduced the falling 4th with a pause well enough. I wouldn't know how to make a more pianistic texture, not entirely sure what that entails. I remember having a bit of trouble coming up with accompaniment figures for the left hand. One you have the melody, that's the hard part. Could you specify which parts were jarring harmonically so I could be aware of that in the future?

Anyway, your piece was pretty awesome considering it was "just a simple one night thing." Ideally, I'd be able to whip something out like that in an evening. Something to work towards.
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at May 16, 2013,
Am I the only one who didn't write a minuet and trio on piano?

Anyway, here's an audio link to the overly melodramatic space synth composition that I came up with. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Han_Sulu/

No completed sheet music as of yet, maybe it will be done by the end of the weekend. I wasted so many hours trying to perfect the B section and picking out the orchestration that I didn't have time to write it out.

Quote by KinkyC
Quote by Hail
robitussin
Sweet, all the entries are coming in. Will listen to them later. Will we spend the month critiquing each other, or get prepared for the next composition challenge?

Quote by Han_Sulu
Am I the only one who didn't write a minuet and trio on piano?

Nope. I did mine with Guitar and Bass Guitar.
We're all alright!
Probably give it another couple of weeks until we start something else.

What are people's feelings on doing another one of these? Duaneclapdrix's suggestion of a Rondo seems alright to me. But Xiaoxi will yell at me if I don't let him vet my ideas >.<