I've been looking into compressors for a bit recently, and I'm looking for GG&A's opinions/recommendations/thoughts, etc.

I will mainly be using it to help level-out(?) my two-hand tapping parts at clean, low-gain, and high-gain volumes; lesser-so to achieve that "infinite-sustain" kind of sound, and to work with my eBow to actually get my signal to sustain forever, but to get a more uniform volume while playing.

I'm intending to not use it that often, but only when I need it kind of thing.

I've been looking at the Boss CS-3, and the EHX Soul Preacher. However I've been told by guys at my local store that the Soul Preacher isn't the best because you can tell when it's on. I'm looking for something that will clean up my sound a bit, but won't be obvious when it's on.

Budget: ~$130. Flexible.

I'm not too knowledgeable as to what's actually on the market. Thanks in advance.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Apr 1, 2013,
I can't recommend it enough, but I love the MXR Custom Comp. I got mine for $75 used from Gutiar Center's used website. I use it for the same purpose as you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've got a Boss CS-2 that I caught second hand for 50 quid. It does the job, as a Boss pedal, you're getting something that's meant to sounds good and fit on a tiny little pedalboard. I don't know the difference between the CS-2 and the CS-3, but I assume it isn't too much. It does what it says on the tin. Worth the money most definitely, it does help with your sound but you're going to need a noise gate to calm it down. So I picked up an NS-2 too. Both of em for 100 quid. They both sound good and for the price you can't get much better. The pair of them should squash your signal enough to make all your sound consistent.

It might be worth looking at some used high-end compressors though. I don't know what the conversion rate is nowadays but I assume that $130 is roughly £100. Have a shop about, try the aforementioned MXR. I have a fondness for MXR.
It sounds like you want two opposite things.

Most of the nicer/higher end compressors tend to be more subtle. The Boss CS-3 is one of the most non-subtle compressors out there, one of the main reasons I got one is because I wanted it to squash the shit out of my signal. But you can't have squash and subtle - they're conflicting ideas.

If you're just looking for a decent balance, look at the Custom Comp as has been mentioned, or the CS-2 (they can get pricey though).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would rather it be subtle and lift the volume of the G, b, and e strings, and lower the volume of the E, A, and D strings, rather than have infinite sustain. Having the most subtle one I could get would be best.

I would probably have to listen to youtube clips as I'll be ordering it blind.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
What I mean is, the very act of leveling out your string volumes, aka killing dynamics, is what happens when the comp is not subtle.

Most people want a comp to give them sustain without killing their dynamics, what you want is the opposite of that, so it's kind of hard to address.

In any case, do check out the Custom Comp, CS-2 & CS-3.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree with the MXR Custom Comp. I tried it at a Guitar Center not too long ago. It's very transparent and doesn't color your tone at all. Great compressor.
So I guess I do want it to squash my tone....

I'll have to scour youtube and see what I find. Thanks guys. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Visual Sound Comp 66 (or Route 66 if you want a tubescreamer too). Although like someone said, you can't have both ends of the spectrum in a compressor pedal, this is the only one I've found (for under $200) that comes close to doing both.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
CMAT MODS can be good. should be 130-150. VFE white horse should be 130-150.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)