Hey, I have up to 1100$ to spent on guitar stuff (can be less, but no a buck more).
It's including :
- head or rack (fully tubes)
- 2x speakers (got cab without speakers)
- boost's, effects etc
So basicly I just have guitar.

The problem is I live in small country and I have no occasion to play through some guitar stuff, so I ll choose stuff mostly on Your opinion and my intuition.
Lot of cheap oldschool USA tube stuff is unreachable for me, becouse shipping to my country of 50pounds would cost a lot, but what I've already seen for example Mesa in my country is overpriced, but Marshall's are underpriced.

I'm playing for now mostly at home but in close future I'm going to gig with friends, so it would be big + if gear would have power reduction (I can make some powerbrake aswell). I'm thinking 50w with reduction to 5-15w would be perfect for me.

I try to point some music genres I like to play :
- Classic Rock 80/90s (PK Pulse or Division Bell albums - love to cover it and copy this sound, also but not as much as PK - bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin).
- Thrash Metal 80/90s (Metallica Black Album, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lighting albums - love the "low bass" riffs sound).
- About clean I need it too - simple clear metal clean like let's say Welcome Home clean.

I can't decide to go for head or rack, what You think ?
I heard head's have better tone than rack ? But rack's are usually more universal, is that correct ?
The big + of rack is 2 preamp's + 1 PA instead 2 head's, it would be some $ safe i think ?

So the question is, could You point me some stuff, that would suite to me good ? Is there any stuff that would work fine for all of my preferences for that $ ?
I will check if this stuff is avaiable in my country and I will upgrade in topic.

* I found some examples of stuff that currently are avaiable in my country :
1. Rack's:
A) Power amps :
- Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty - 500$
- Marshall 9005 - 415$
- Carvin TS100 - 460$
B) Preamps :
- Marshall JMP-1 - 340$
- Rocktron Piranha - 480$
- Marshall 9001 - 260$
- Yamaha DG 1000 - 370$

Occasion set pa+preamp (new sovtec tubes) : Marshall 9005 + Marshall 9001 for 615$.

2. Head's :
- B52 AT100 - 540$
- Laney VH100R - 720$
- Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - 620$
- Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 - 585 $
- Marshall JCM 900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb - 650$
- ENGL Thunder 50 - 730 $
- ENGL Screamer - 720$
- Blackstar HT Stage 100 - 700$

Any good for my music genres and price ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 2, 2013,
Would Ada MP-1 preamp work fine for older thrash, more like Metallica Black album than Kill em all ? Is it worth ~250$ ?
I know MP-1 is classic, what about MP-2 ? Is it better/worse than 1 ? I can get one for ~215$ with shipping.
Does TC Electronics G-Major 1 have some nice delay's ?
Or it's better to go for TC Electronics Flashback ?
Any better delay for ~200$ ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 2, 2013,
Well Metallica (Kirk) did use it for "...and Justice for All" leads as far as I know. Alex Skolnick from Testament uses/used(?) his into his JCM900 power amp. I'm sure there's a plethora of other thrash guitarists that use them. The MP-2 is less desirable but many people do rate them. I can't comment as I've never played one. With a good set of tubes (I use old mullards but JJ's are also very good) the ADA MP-1 is unbeatable for the tone I want and is very versatile for most genres. I really like the solid state cleans on them as well. The best examples of the ADA MP-1 would be Extreme - Decadence Dance and Skid Row - Monkey Business. The JMP-1 and Rockatron Piranha are also good, haven't tried the Yamaha.

Truth be told, check all the pre-amps on YouTube so you can get an idea of the ballpark of each of their tones and drop your money on what you like the sound of best.

Finally, where did you hear that heads have better tone than pre-amp/power amp racks? It's the same thing just in different housing. Racks can be more versatile as you can mix and match pre-amps and power amps to your taste and but that really the main difference.Think of racks as one giant amp head made to your specs. Other than that, may just be me but I prefer having a fridge of flashing lights behind me rather than a head and cab.
Main Gear

93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jackson DK2M
Burns Red Special
Various other guitars
Marshall 9200 Power amp
ADA MP-1 Pre amp
Alesis Midiverb 4
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Marshall 1960b cab
TS 808 modded Boss SD1, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby
Out of those, the JCM2000 DSL or the Laney VH100r would be my first choices.

I have a JCM 200 DSL100 and it is an extremely versatile amp and can do everything you want it to do. The Laney VH100r is a great amp also

The JMP-1 preamp is really nice, but the price of that a tube poweramp and a cab would probably be over your budget, if not you should look into this as a real viable option
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mostly i reed about rack vs head was sentence :
"Head = tonality; rack = versality"
Kirk used MP-1 so i'm wonder if MP-2 is okay too ?

Is 9001 much worse than JMP-1 ?
I can get JMP-1 for 370$ or 9001 for 240$ ?

So atm my options are :
1. Peavey JSX - 810$ (I just found, I know it's a good amp, but I'm not sure if it would work well for my rock preferences ?)
2. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - 620$
3. Laney VH100R - 750$
4. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall 9001 (240$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - in set for 740$ (this option I look forward the most, price I think is underprice a lot for this stuff, Ada would dig thrash for sure and has some nice metal cleans, Marshall 9005 I heard is immortal decent PA and + for power reduction and each channel with diffrent tubes, Marshall 9001 i'm not sure only about this, if it would handle my fav rock PK tones ?)
5. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall JMP-1 (370$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - 955$

So mostly it's 1 vs 2 vs 4 ? (Laney is in not very well condition, and set with JMP-1 instead 9001 is a lot more expensive).

Or maybe any other idea for rock preamp ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by Blazkowicz
Mostly i reed about rack vs head was sentence :
"Head = tonality; rack = versality"
Kirk used MP-1 so i'm wonder if MP-2 is okay too ?

Is 9001 much worse than JMP-1 ?
I can get JMP-1 for 370$ or 9001 for 240$ ?

So atm my options are :
1. Peavey JSX - 810$ (I just found, I know it's a good amp, but I'm not sure if it would work well for my rock preferences ?)
2. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - 620$
3. Laney VH100R - 750$
4. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall 9001 (240$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - in set for 740$ (this option I look forward the most, price I think is underprice a lot for this stuff, Ada would dig thrash for sure and has some nice metal cleans, Marshall 9005 I heard is immortal decent PA and + for power reduction and each channel with diffrent tubes, Marshall 9001 i'm not sure only about this, if it would handle my fav rock PK tones ?)
5. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall JMP-1 (370$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - 955$

So mostly it's 1 vs 2 vs 4 ? (Laney is in not very well condition, and set with JMP-1 instead 9001 is a lot more expensive).

Or maybe any other idea for rock preamp ?

The JMP-1 is a great pre-amp, but what you have heard about rack vs. heads is completely wrong, racks can be as good or as bad as a head it depends on the actual equipment. The biggest difference in rack and heads is that a head is typically less expensive than buying both a pre-amp and a power-amp

From what I have heard, the JMP-1 is way better than the 9001 (easily worth the price difference.

The Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and Laney VH100r are very good amps can do what you want and more.

The Peavey JSX is a really good amp also and will beable to do what you want. it has a lot of versatility to it, more than the Marshall DSL or Laney VH100r
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea, the set with 9001 is just sweet $ save for effects I think, becouse some guy sells it together with 9005.

So for the prices/quality balance, and my music preferences in Your opinion i should go :
1. Peavey JSX - 810$
2. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall JMP-1 (370$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - 955$
3. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - 620$ / Laney VH100R - 750$
4. Marshall 9005 (400$) + Marshall 9001 (240$) + Ada MP-2 (185$) - in set for 740$

Correct ?
I was affraid that JSX won't get me PK smooth Division Bell tone, though its pure satan machine, but if You say it will.
Though Tony Iommi used the 9001 for a short period, I would personally skip it and decide between JMP-1 or MP-2 if you go the rack route. The MP's can do what the 9001 do and more. Do you really need 2 preamps? I'd personally save the 9001 money for a decent rack fx or speakers. Good thing about racks is you can add/swap out over time. I've been working on my rack for about a year, the essentials (pre and power amp) were bought at the same time and then I just added/swapped things when I had the spare cash. Mind after you finish the rack, to get the most out of it you'll need a midi foot controller and a rack case.
Main Gear

93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jackson DK2M
Burns Red Special
Various other guitars
Marshall 9200 Power amp
ADA MP-1 Pre amp
Alesis Midiverb 4
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Marshall 1960b cab
TS 808 modded Boss SD1, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Robbgnarly
Out of those, the JCM2000 DSL or the Laney VH100r would be my first choices.

+1

I have no experience with rack setups, though, so bear that in mind- i just ignored them. But out of the heads, yeah, the vh100r or dsl would be the thing.

EDIT: speakers... it's really your call. what's more important, the classic rock type stuff or the thrashier, more modern stuff?

EDIT #2: an overdrive pedal or two rarely hurt to use as boosts. Personally with my gh50L (single channel vh100r, far as i'm aware) i like a timmy and a tubescreamer (i use cheapo clones of them, though). a noise gate doesn't hurt either, the laney can get a bit noisy. delay, chorus/phaser and stuff like that don't hurt but probably aren't essential. wah is useful if you use it, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 3, 2013,
There was an occasion VH100R for 650$ but unfortunelly it's already sold, the cheapest Laney is 860$ so i'm not sure if it is fair price ... I'll check sometimes if there's any new VH100R.

You sure the JSX would get me into oldschool Floyd's and Metallica territory and some nice metal clean ? Becouse 770$ (guy just lowered price) for JSX seems to be fair price, at least better than 860$ for VH100R?
I got to add - I'm not Satriani fan ...

Or I can go for Handmade PA (look's like this):
http://mgamp.com/sklep/product.php?id_product=20
It's nice becouse of 2x50w can be reduced to 2x10w, it has switches vin/modern, tubes 4x ECC83S JJ & 4x5881 (can be replaced EL34)
PA for 375$ + Ada MP-2 for 185$ = 560$ (and free preamp slot)

But if You re sure that JSX will do job fine, I'll go for it than ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by Blazkowicz
There was an occasion VH100R for 650$ but unfortunelly it's already sold, the cheapest Laney is 860$ so i'm not sure if it is fair price ... I'll check sometimes if there's any new VH100R.

You sure the JSX would get me into oldschool Floyd's and Metallica territory and some nice metal clean ? Becouse 770$ (guy just lowered price) for JSX seems to be fair price, at least better than 860$ for VH100R?
I got to add - I'm not Satriani fan ...

Or I can go for Handmade PA (look's like this):
http://mgamp.com/sklep/product.php?id_product=20
It's nice becouse of 2x50w can be reduced to 2x10w, it has switches vin/modern, tubes 4x ECC83S JJ & 4x5881 (can be replaced EL34)
PA for 375$ + Ada MP-2 for 185$ = 560$ (and free preamp slot)

But if You re sure that JSX will do job fine, I'll go for it than ?

The JSX is really one of the best. most versatile amps that was available while it was made. The clean Ch is really nice, the crunch Ch is really nice, and the Ultra Ch can hang with the best hi-gain amps available

I'm not a JS fan at all, but it is a great amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well I'm not sure of JSX becouse on YT i havn't found any video that I actually liked sound of JSX, but I know YT don't "show" all of tube amps sound possibility.
I found a lot of ADA MP-1/2 video that i actually liked a lot tho.

I'll try to get then this JSX for 770$ (the problem is, seller is kinda strange, he dont let try amp if I would like to check before buy and he have no idea about amp's - when I asked if the tubes are new or they will have to be changed soon etc he said that "he don't know, they re shine orange" rofl)

What about effects ?
Mostly im delay/chorus/reverb perver.
Should I go for multi or separate effects ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by Blazkowicz
Well I'm not sure of JSX becouse on YT i havn't found any video that I actually liked sound of JSX, but I know YT don't "show" all of tube amps sound possibility.
I found a lot of ADA MP-1/2 video that i actually liked a lot tho.

I'll try to get then this JSX for 770$ (the problem is, seller is kinda strange, he dont let try amp if I would like to check before buy and he have no idea about amp's - when I asked if the tubes are new or they will have to be changed soon etc he said that "he don't know, they re shine orange" rofl)

What about effects ?
Mostly im delay/chorus/reverb perver.
Should I go for multi or separate effects ?

No mater how good an amp is, never buy without trying first. If someone wants you to spend $800ish on an amp without you being able to try it, DO NOT BUY IT. when people act like this most of the time they are trying to hide something.

It really comes down to what you like and are willing to pay for.

If you can try the JSX out I suggest you try it, they are great amps. If you already know what you do like, get it if it is available to you. You are who has to be happy with your purchase not us.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for Your help Rob.
Well the guy allow to local pick up, he gives "run guarantee" and he have 100+ sales all possitives, but weird thing is, he dont allow to try it while picking up (no idea why) and he said he played on this JSX in church band or whatever ...

Unfortunelly I can't try it out (all shops around have JSX only on order).
Base on YT JSX don't brings me on knees (but most of that JSX videos are made by some fancy no skill players, maybe that's why it's not suits me).
ADA MP instead on YT sounds so cool for me (but it's probably on the other hand - probably becouse they used a lot effects in videos aswell)

So got to decide if in dark go for that "strange" JSX or wait for occasionaly DSL/VH100R or go cheaper set - ADA MP with some tube PA and free preamp like JMP-1 on the future.

And some technical questions about amps :
1. If i'll get tube PA (2x50w = 1x100) and i'll plug bass preamp to it, would it work fine ? (I got and practice a lot on bass guitar)
2. Would effects like Gmajor, works good for bass aswell ?
3. Is G-Major 2 much better than G-Major 1 ?
Any better multi for full tube stuff ? (mostly I'm interesting in some perfect delay/reverb/chorus)
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 4, 2013,
Any power amp will work with a bass or guitar pre-amp, it does not have to have a "specific" kind.

Most FX pedals will work for Guitar or Bass, some work better than others.

I don't have much experience with the G-major at all, but I have heard good things
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I played a JSX last week and thought it sounded killer! I'm a very big Peavey fan and have owned a 6505+ 112 combo for the last two years. Eventually I'm going to upgrade to a head and cab, so I've been trying out different options. Originally, I thought I'd just get a 6505 head and be done with it, but after playing the JSX, I'm not so sure anymore!

What I liked about the JSX was that it had nice cleans; much warmer than my 6505+.

I spent most of my other time on the "Ultra" channel (high-gain). I was surprised that it could get almost as heavy as my 6505. However, it had a slightly more "Marshally" high gain sound compared to the "American" voiced 6505+. That's why I think it might be a good choice considering your desired tone. I would think it could do Metallica quite nicely. (I mostly played heavier, more modern riffs though). The lead tones I got were more "singing" and musical than what I can get on the 6505 as well. Which is why I think you could get passable Pink Floyd leads. However, I've been able to get passable Gilmour tones on many amps with the right amount of delay and chorus mixed into higher gain.
Well I bought for now ADA MP-2, the guy was selling it so cheap I just couldn't resist (170$ with shipping for this classy Metallica tone) while looking for prices it was pretty sweet deal I think ...

The thrash preamp is done. I would have to look around soon for 2nd, more "smooth" preamp for PK, I already passed 9001, would JMP-1 be ok for classic rock PK sound or I should look around for another one ?

Which speakers would You reccomend for that thrash/rock playing ?
I want to make for now 2x12 cab but with diffrent speakers - 1st pure classic thrash (I think I'll go for G12T-75 or Hot100 here ?), 2nd pure classic rock (I thought about some Classic Lead 80 or Greenback), BUT with possibility to mix them together and make this mix sound nice, not like crap. Any idea ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 5, 2013,
**** all that noise. Get the Laney.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, Ada MP-2 and JMP-1 are already packed and on the way to me.
1. Which PA You think would suit's the best for theese preamps ?
Mesa 50/50, Peavey Classic 50/50 (60/60), or ADA PT-100 ?
2. What set of speakers should I get for the 2x12 cab ?
G12T-75 + G12-80 (Classic Lead 80) would be good sounding combo ?
Or it would be safer to get standard G12T-75 + V30 set ?
3. Anyone know pricessor TC Electronic D-Two ?
How's D-Two delays comparing to G-Major delays ? Are they much better, or it's basicly the same ?
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 9, 2013,
i reckon a v30 + g12t75 might be a safer bet. I'm sure I tried the CL80/g12t75 combo, but i lost the notes i made about how all the combos sounded ( ) and I can't remember much about it. But both are lighter on the mids and the combo might be too scooped. Whereas the v30 and g12t75 combo is nicely balanced.

Don't get me wrong, the CL80 + g12t75 probably sounded pretty good, and may well be fine. But v30 + g12t75 is the safer option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blazkowicz
Ok, Ada MP-2 and JMP-1 are already packed and on the way to me.
1. Which PA You think would suit's the best for theese preamps ?
Mesa 50/50, Peavey Classic 50/50 (60/60), or ADA PT-100 ?
2. What set of speakers should I get for the 2x12 cab ?
G12T-75 + G12-80 (Classic Lead 80) would be good sounding combo ?
Or it would be safer to get standard G12T-75 + V30 set ?
3. Anyone know pricessor TC Electronic D-Two ?
How's D-Two delays comparing to G-Major delays ? Are they much better, or it's basicly the same ?

either the mesa or the Peavey would be a solid choice.

I would go with a V30/G12h30 combo for marshall, the v30/g12t75 is a great combo if metal/hard rock is your thing, but the v30/g12h30 is a great all-round choice and you will still sound good reguardless of your music choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok I just found a local guy that would sell me Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty for 430$, I think it's fair price and I'll get it.
1. I'm just wondering one thing, how's old 50/50 compare to 20/20 (or 2:50) ?
Becouse I don't get it - this guy sells Mesa 50/50 (with reduction to 15/15) becouse he wants to get Mesa 20/20 ?
2. Is there any 2ch PA that can uses 6l6 and el84 on diffrent channels ?

Hm any good mix speaker with G12-80 ?
Becouse I'm really into Classic Lead - what I've heard, it seems to G12-80's have higher headroom than G12T/V30 ? I think it would be usefull for getting spatial effect like in Pulse solo's ?

Maybe You reccomend some other speakers mix then ?
I like speakers that have plenty of headroom, are not muddy, have extensive lows that makes cab get resonance (like G12T lows) and not so razor sharp highs (i'm not crazy about G12T highs).
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Apr 10, 2013,
Quote by Blazkowicz
Ok I just found a local guy that would sell me Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty for 430$, I think it's fair price and I'll get it.
1. I'm just wondering one thing, how's old 50/50 compare to 20/20 (or 2:50) ?
Becouse I don't get it - this guy sells Mesa 50/50 (with reduction to 15/15) becouse he wants to get Mesa 20/20 ?
2. Is there any 2ch PA that can uses 6l6 and el84 on diffrent channels ?

Hm any good mix speaker with G12-80 ?
Becouse I'm really into Classic Lead - what I've heard, it seems to G12-80's have higher headroom than G12T/V30 ? I think it would be usefull for getting spatial effect like in Pulse solo's ?

Maybe You reccomend some other speakers mix then ?
I like speakers that have plenty of headroom, are not muddy, have extensive lows that makes cab get resonance (like G12T lows) and not so razor sharp highs (i'm not crazy about G12T highs).

That is a good amp. Yes that is weird about him not wanting to just flip a switch to 15 . He may want the tone of EL84/6V6 (not sure which the Mesa 20/20 uses) over the big bottle 6L6/EL34.

The sound you describe sounds like a few speakers.
The Eminence V12 has really good lows and mids, but a softer high-end.
Eminence Swamp Thang is a nice really big sounding speaker.
Celestion K85/100 This is a really smooth speaker with lots of low-end

When mixing speakers you want the speakers to complement each other.
V30/G12T75 are a great metal combo (or any clones of them WGS and Eminence make good ones)
V30/G12H30 are a nice mix for all round
G12H30/Greenback are a good Rock mix.
V30/K100 Great for lower tuning metal
Swamp Thang/Texas Heat great for Hard rock/Metal

Just to give you some popular combos
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The guy says that he want replace 50/50 with 20/20 becouse "he plays a lot of concerts so he wants to have something less heavy, with lower power (to volume max in studio) and get 1 extra slot in rack" - well I didnt had rack ever yet, but is this possible that this guy's rack with 9001, g-major2, 50/50 is so heavy and annoying to carry for regular guy ? Or it's smells like cheap excuse ? :P
Well anyway i'll check tomorrow, he invited for stuff-check so probably it works fine for now, I just hope it won't brake down after 1 month (becouse he already had to upgraded something in "tube power supply" and replace few potentiometer when he bought it).

About speakers the problem is, that my budget on speakers is up to max 200$, so speakers like G12H or Swamp Thang are out (I wish to avoid used speakers).
Ahh always that common v30, I really wanted to avoid it, but I see I'll have to get one probably ...
So I should pass G12-80 if I want to mix ? I heard they are "very neutral sounding" speakers and they play best together, without mixing.
the vintage 30 combines well with the classic lead if you have your heart set on one classic lead. from what you're describing ("I like speakers that have plenty of headroom, are not muddy, have extensive lows that makes cab get resonance (like G12T lows) and not so razor sharp highs (i'm not crazy about G12T highs") it'd probably work well. It's a quite chunky and modern-sounding combo, but from the sounds of things that's what you're after.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was always wonder also, isn't that sound bad if one cab have diffrent wattage speakers ?
I mean for example like 2x12 with Greenback 25w + V30 60w ? Would the sound be balanced or Greenback would be almost unhearable and outgrown by v30?
That's why I was though a lot with G12-80 and G12T-75 combo - they're quite same wattage.

I'll go probably for that G12-80 + V30 then (does v12 should be good instead v30 aswell?)
Quote by Blazkowicz
I was always wonder also, isn't that sound bad if one cab have diffrent wattage speakers ?
I mean for example like 2x12 with Greenback 25w + V30 60w ? Would the sound be balanced or Greenback would be almost unhearable and outgrown by v30?
That's why I was though a lot with G12-80 and G12T-75 combo - they're quite same wattage.

I'll go probably for that G12-80 + V30 then (does v12 should be good instead v30 aswell?)

Wattage has nothing to do with how loud it is. Idealy you want the sensitivity of the speakers to be within 3dB. this will keep one speaker to sound louder than the other.

I really like the V12, much more than the V30. But I don't know how it would pair with the G1280? you could email Eminence speakers and ask them, they would know. An they are pretty quick to reply
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the wattage isn't anything to do with the loudness of the speaker. The sensitivity/efficiency (normally quoted in decibels at one watt at one metre) tells you how loud the speakers are.

the v30 and classic lead are almost the same volume- 99dB and 100dB respectively. As long as you're within ~2-3dB or so it's normally fine.

EDIT; dangit ninja'd

I've only tried the v12 with my gb12. It's a different impedance from my celestion speakers so I haven't tried them together.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 10, 2013,