I know this sounds strange, but the Timmy is kind of not doing it for me as an overdrive...even when going in to a not completely clean sound. I thought it was fine on recordings or jamming, but I dislike it live. I heard the sound through the house speakers and it's very biting and raspy...almost 'preampy' for lack of better word. I cut through with the band, but it was unpleasant. I want something that's transparent, but is smooth and more creamy sounding, while still sounding very clear. I'm willing to go up to about $175, maybe $200 if it's VERY good. Sidenote, I'm using Fender guitars. The other guitarist has a very similar sounding Lovepedal OD11, and is using a Duesenburg into a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr, loaded with VERY warm sounding vintage tubes. Maybe it's just the type of guitars. So I need something that achieves those aforementioned desirable tones with single coil guitars, but I want the option of dialing in good sounds with humbuckers or Filtertron style pickups in the future.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Apr 2, 2013,
there are a couple of opamps that you can swap in with the stock opamp to change the gain characteristic and make it smoother. it's a common mod, as a few people aren't happy with the stock timmy sound. heaps of threads on tgp.
Talk to greeny and see what he suggests. I know he builds timmy clones so I can only imagine he would be able to help out modifying one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Drop in an LM1458 and turn the treble knob up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thing is, turning the treble knob up too much gives me too much high end cut. It sounds good when I practice, but then it becomes dull with the band. I'm really looking for a different overdrive altogether. I love it as a clean boost with no drive coming from the pedal, because the EQ really helps me shape the boost. It pushes the front end of my Vox beautifully when it's already a little crunchy. I'm looking to run my Vox a little more clean (just a bit on the edge) though, then I want something that I can use to add a little bit of extra light grit.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Take a look at www.rawkworks.com the light drive is really nice and soposedly based on a Klon.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Apr 2, 2013,
Ah, I've been looking to try some of this stuff out for a while. My other guitarist actually has a Morning Glory that I can try out. I'll take advantage of right now, because he said he likes the Lovepedal OD11 better with his Duesenburg.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Yea, the OD11 is just an idiot proof Timmy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Kevin Saale
Talk to greeny and see what he suggests. I know he builds timmy clones so I can only imagine he would be able to help out modifying one.

he built a hell of a nice timmy for me. i love it. may not be for everybody, but i would definitely see what he has to say.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/