Hi.I have problem with my picking hand when i want to play guitar standing.I think it might be from playing guitar when sitting up at certain angle.Now when i want to play standing my guitar must be at 0 degree angle to the ground but it changes my picking hand position i think.
And now I want to ask my question.
What should I do now? Should I start practicing at normal angle at sitting and standing or just change the angle while standing?(but it will be very hard becuase i have around 20 degree angle when i am sitting).
Or maybe it's some kind of illusion and i only need to practice standing up and i get my picking hand comfortable like i am sitting?
But in my opinion I should start practicing sitting at 0 degree angle (standard) and get it to the standing.
I uploaded photos to show my actual problem with angle.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

I am waiting for your help!
Attachments:
11.jpg
22.jpg
Personally say that start practising sitting with guitar on classical position (guitar on left leg) for a while. Transition to standing up is much simpler because the guitar is exactly in same position sitting down and standing up, you only lose the support of your leg.

I'm propably not qualified to give advice but I never liked playing sitting down that way, moving to classical position helped in a lot of tension problems I had in my fretting hand and shoulder of picking hand (always an issue for me due to physical work I do) and helped me practice standing up too. Just a thing I found out myself.

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/Classic-Electric.jpg

*edit* I meant left leg, not right.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 2, 2013,
Ok, I give a try to classical position but I think it's changing a string attack of my picking hand and my picking hand is more comfortable when i am playing in my first position at angle but I must reduce that angle to play standing up.
I think I should start practicing in my first positon ( not classical ) at 0 degree angle and see how my picking hand will be comfortable at that angle and also try to play at classical position and see what position will be better especially for my picking hand and fretting hand.
What do you think about that idea?
My main problem is changed picking hand with new angle ( classical or not ) and i think i must practice to overcome it.
I am waiting for another propositons but for me there are two ways- classical with "standing" angle or not classical with "standing" angle.
Last edited by bady0407 at Apr 2, 2013,
Don't have your strap low. Most maddening thing i see people do. Have it the exact same height you would as when you sit and play.
A picture of you actually playing standing up would be far more helpful than the ones you've posted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
are you actually talking about which way the body is tilted (towards or away from you)?

in any case, playing standing up is going to feel different. how different it feels depends on where you have the guitar strapped. it's just something everyone has to practice.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Ok, i shot 2 photos of me when i am standing.But I must say that I play standing very rarely and i don't have my featured position.
In that case i just got my guitar and tried to not get her to low and be comfortable on fretting hand but my picking hand felt stranger than on my first photos when i have guitar on sitting down and on some angle.
And on copying the standing to sitting, i personally can't do it becuase of the angle i have when i am playing sitting, so i must revise everything and start to playing on good angle when sitting and when i do it then i can just copy sitting to standing i think.I am waitinig for replies and her are photos of my standing position.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

@vIsIbleNoIsE
I am talking about the angle which is created by the body of the guitar to the ground, it's not perpendicular.You can see on my first picture, i shot side photo of guitar, it's the angle which for me is bad when i want to stand up.When I started playing I just got my guitar in comfortable place, i wanted to see my frets and i made that angle.It's very comfortable when i am sitting, I can go some fast runs when string crossing, around 160-180bpm 16th and 190-200bpm on one string at good days.But when I want stand up that angle dissapears and i can't see what is going on frets and my picking hand is feeling stranger.
Attachments:
DSC07575.JPG
DSC07577.JPG
Last edited by bady0407 at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by bady0407
Ok, I give a try to classical position but I think it's changing a string attack of my picking hand

Maybe so, but thats because it puts the pick in slight angle which cuts through strings easier. This is good for fast alternate picking. Pick striking flatly against the strings produces thicker sound but there is also more resistance and that is bad when you have to play fast. With your current style you have make the angle yourself with your thumb when you need it, with classical style pick is always at good angle ready for fast strumming. But then again it makes striking flatly harder if you really want to do that.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 2, 2013,
I think it was a little bit of illusion with strange picking hand when I started to practicing with "normal" angle.My picking hand feels a little different from my angled guitar playing, but i am starting to encouraing that and i think with enough practice it won't be differences when sitting and playing with good ( 0 to maybe 5 degree ) angle.
But I think i have problem with copying sitting position of my guitar to stance.I don't know that is something with belt to guitar or I am so bad at stabilizing my position but I can't get my guitar more at classical position, not really classical position but just something between classical and that "flat", normal positon.Also I can't get here more to my right hip, i only got her on my stomach.Is that possible to stabilize other position with belt or it's necessary to use a force of my arm to bring it more the hip and more to the classical position with my fretting hand?
I marked my photo with my "flat" position, to ask that can I use my arm to stabilize it more to my sitting position (I changed a little bit to classical, not that flat what you saw on first photo), or it should be only done by strength and balance of belt?
Anyway thanks for help with that strange problems!
Attachments:
DSC07575.JPG