Hi,
I hope I am in the correct thread, and if I am not please let me know which tread I should be posting on -- thanks.

I have been taking lessons on and off for a while but in June 2012 I started taking it seriously and practice as much as I can ( I am middle ages.. married.. job.. etc). I try to practice at least one hour a day and I can now sight read in first position.

My teacher just gave me from an "easy guitar book" .. pride and joy from Stevie Ray Vaughan. I have been practicing the piece and am starting to play it better.

Then I went to you tube and heard some guys playing it and its -- Wow-- a huge difference between what I play and how they play it. Its like..... Oh my god

It gets to be like a "bummer" to see it.

With practicing about an hour or so a day (medium talent) (do take formal lessons) over the years, I wonder if I will get there at my age. I am in my fifties.

Thanks so much for your patience in answer this question.

Truly,
Lguitarjsm
It all comes down to practice, sir. I mean, I've been playing since I was 12, but I didn't get anywhere until I started buckling down when I was like 17 and practiced as much as I could.

One thing that I can say is that you should get a few songs down until you're comfortable playing them without looking, and then go out to an open mic to play them in front of people. The fun of that tends to inspire more practice, so you get better and want to do it more, etc... Also, if you have any friends that do music, try to play with other musicians, it's a really quick way to make progress.

But really, it comes down to what your goals are, and how you're striving to meet them. Age is hardly a factor for anything other than the amount of free time you have. Discipline is the game.
I can't really speak to what it would be like to learn guitar in my fifties. I'm 26 and started playing when I was 10 years old.

I'd say the most important thing for you to do is take more time to work on technique, and maybe a little less time on specific songs. You need to lay down some ground work before you tackle some of the more musical aspects of the instrument.

As far as practice time goes, I'd say getting at least 20-30 minutes a day is more important than the longer 2-3 hour practice sessions.

Hope this helps.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
Also important, there will always be someone better than you on youtube, learn to play for yourself, not to be impressive compared to youtube, you'll never win that contest.
Quote by way Of the dodo
Also important, there will always be someone better than you on youtube, learn to play for yourself, not to be impressive compared to youtube, you'll never win that contest.

Amen.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
The biggest way to improve is too set goals for yourself. Since your taking lessons talk to your teacher about it and he will help you set realistic goals. I found making goals of simple stuff like learning to bend up to a half step perfectly then a full step, really take your playing to new heights as you build up these small goals.
you're never as free as when you are lost
I'm impressed you decided to play guitar at your age. People usually just say that they're too old to start learning guitar, even if they are in their 20s and I find that very unfortunate.
Playing guitar or making music can be such an emotionally rewarding experience that any person should try it, regardless of their age.
However, when someone first starts playing guitar, they immediately start thinking about how much they should practice, what they should practice in order to become better and I find this problematic, because playing guitar should essentially by a joyful experience.
My advice would be to stick to learning the songs that you like and work on improving them. Everything that you see in other guitarists will eventually develop in your guitar playing, although you might not become aware of your progress.
L Guitar,
Don't worry, there will Alway's be someone better than you. When I was in my late teens I saw Yngwie at a small venue. I was so Blown Away I quit playing the guitar for almost 25 years.

I'm also back trying to learn the guitar as a near 50 year old adolesent. I don't get a chance to play as much as you in a day and I definately can't find time for lessons. But I still have a Blast playing and try to learn sometrhing New each time I play.

Don't get discouraged. Have Fun. That's what it is all about....and the Woman. lol.

Just enjoy yourself and keep at it.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder